Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Winney!

I'm not sure if this is what you were refering to, but I did mix up the glue water goop and painted on a nose and I love it!  It doesn't show and no one would know, unless they touched it. 

I sometimes use embroidery thread so that I can mix colors and the embroidery thread noses are fragile.  So, by using this, your method, I think this is what you meant, the noses aren't so fragile.

Thank you so much!
Dilu

I don't think I would ever have thought of it...this is what I mean about getting to learn from the experts-boy are we lucky!

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Dilu...so glad it helped you ,I got the idea from  Shelli...Thank's Shelli !She calls it a " hardened nose ".

I have tried it several times for the floss and it works neato. One coat looks sort of matt finish, if you do more coats it will have a shiner look. If you want really glossy ...somebody said you can do gloss nail polish , however that is a solvent based product I think .....soooo I don't know about that maybe  being a problem...
I found some " shiny"  acrylic deco paint at Michael's ,you know the acrylic paints in the little bottles used for lots of projects. I got black, I plan to try that on a black floss or perle cotton nose.They have other colors too..let's see, a clowns nose ? ............. Winney

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Here's another thought for you when painting noses.  When you want a black nose, use brown underneath FIRST.  This will make your black paint richer.  ALso you can let a little brown paint show around the edges for a really nice effect.  I learned this when I went to school for airbrushing.  Using more than one color and layering them with give you more dimension and a nicer effect than using only one color.

You should always start with your lighter colors and work down to your darker colors making sure not to cover up the lighter shades entirely...leave some on the edges.  The darker shades will "sink" the areas where you want more depth.

Hugs Judi

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh that's awesome!  Thanks for the tip Judi!  (and Shelli for the hardened nose tip)

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

You're very welcome, but I can't take credit for this idea as an original one.  I read about using a 50/50 glue/water mix to harden noses somewhere else, myself.  It does work like a charm, that's for certain!

I am soo excited.  I got to go to the big city today, so I went wall mart, and now have in my arsenal

acrylic paints
Modpoge
more stuffing, but thats no big deal-thats a necessity of life.

But I am excited about practicing all these new techniques-

I am going to have to print up all the posts, with all the tips.  I can't remember everything everyone said.
Also found blender pens and reallty neat fabric pens in muted browns, greens, burgandys etc.  I had never seen fabric pens in muted tones before. 

I love learning new things....thanks for all the ideas.

I feel like a kid on Christmas.

Dilu

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

I know that feeling; it's wonderful.  I just discovered that one can download, FOR FREE, little "elements" for use in digital scrapbooks (or on websites, or in logos and banners, etc.)  They are very cute, like ribbons and buttons.  So I'm excited, too.

I think everyone here loves to share and give... we get so much back.  And there's a real love of learning here, too.  I like "seekers;" they inspire me. 

Thank you all for being my inspirations!  And thanks, Dilu, for reminding me to say so!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Great tips on noses:) Thanks everybody. What about leather noses? Mine is soft leather, molded and sewn in, but seems a little squashy. Should it be hardened?

Eileen

ooooh  Good question Eileen 

I am about to finish up a sable bear and wasn't sure what to do for a nose.  A thread one means too many needle holes through the very old leather-the coat was from 1928-9. 

Judi, your idea about painting brown under a black nose is so good- it makes since- like the way you apply color to a painting

So if it were a orange nose, then yellow paint underneath ?  That sort of idea.  Red- hmm  I guess a red nose could use violet for a cool mood bear or orange  for a hot tamale?  Is this kind of what you mean?

Thank you

Dilu

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Hi Dilu--

Judi's advice about the undercolor is right on (thanks, Judi). I tried black leather first, but the brown leather inked black looked much better.

Overneedling the skin worried me too. I molded the nose. undid the gusset/side face stitches, pulled out just a bit of stuffing, and jammed the nose in. That way, I could stitch it in place without overstressing the skin. I guess you'd call it an inset nose. I didn't think of doing this until the face was almost done, but it worked. I was sure at first that I'd wrecked several days' work!

Nancy Tillberg's wonderful book has several patterns for onlaid leather noses--I just like the inlaid better on this little cub.

Eileen

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

Hi Everyone!

Did I miss something? I would like to try the glue/water thing. Is there a particular kind of glue that works best?

Eileen,

Great idea, and I remember now about Nancy's leather noses- I'll get the book out and check it out.

Thanks

Dilu

Cindy,
Winney and others said plain old white glue.  I used Arlene's quick drying white glue.  It worked really great.
I couldn't find the Elmer's.
Dilu

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

Thank you Dilu. I have some of Arlene's on hand. Will give it a try. Thanks again!!!!:)

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Any white glue will probably work , mix 50/ 50 water and glue.... Winney

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Yeah, I use Elmers cause we have it around (two elementary schoolers here.)  But any white glue should work just fine.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Just be sure it says that it won't yellow over time!  I know Elmer's says that

Board footer