Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Pages:
Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Hi all
As an Aussie, I'm really interested to know how you girls from the US view artist bears on ebay.  Do you look at world wide auctions or only from the US??
I have only had 3 international sales, the rest have been to Australia, so I wonder how many international collectors actually look at Aussie auctions.
Anyone want to share?
Just wondering if I should list on the US ebay instead...I think Aussies look at worldwide auctions coz we have so few here...may get a bigger audience if I list through the US ebay???
thanks
hugs sarah

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Sarah, I would list on Ebay.com, you get a bigger audience there I notice this on my non bear related items, also ship worldwide, they seem to come up in the searches too.

I have also noticed that some of the auction categories differ between Ebay.com and Ebay.com.au
I have also  tried listing in more than one category as well.

Hope that helps, I look forward to hearing more on this topic. bear_happy

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Hi Sarah

I'm from New Zealand and I would certainly reccommend listing on US Ebay.  I have sold bears to the US, the UK and Aussie through Ebay.  Ebay.com does pick up international auctions.  Probably the only disadvantage is the shipping cost bit - it's not easy to enter overseas costs into the specified boxes, but I have worked out my costs and include them in the main body of the auction rather than the shipping bit.  I've never had a problem with anything - except trying to work out the time difference which I never manage to get quite right...even though I use time calculators etc!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I think I am being totally thick here...but if I list on eBay UK....doesn't my listing automatically come up when anyone does a worldwide search no matter where in the world they are searching?

I had a bear go to Australia...and a couple to the USA....both from a UK listing... I have always thought that language would be the only thing to stop a listing being shown when a someone does a search for worldwide items .

I am starting to wonder if I should also be listing on eBay .com

Jenny

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

I don't think I would worry Sarah.  IF people are interested in purchasing overseas, they will see all the international listings.  If you list on eBay.com - you will only be seen by people who are looking at bears from all around the world.

People from all over the world have found my listings and purchased bears - mainly the UK, but also USA, Canada, Singapore.....

Danni

Deb Upstate New York

I've set auctions up to sell to US only and worldwide.  I have no problem shipping outside the US, but am just a little wary because I'm not familiary wtih costs and shipping methods, carrier to use, etc.  Of course, offering to sell worldwide gives more opportunity.  Although I've had people contact me on US only auctions and ask if I'd send to Canada, and one time to Japan (not bears, but other things).

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I have regularly listed on ebay US, because I saw my hits go up (double) when I tried it the first time....and so I'm in the habit of listing there now. International listings can be seen by everyone, but only if they are looking in the right category. In my case, UK listings can be seen by people in the US if they include the 'bears>other' category while they browse. If they narrow it down to 'bears>artist, one-of-a-kind', the UK and other international listings are eliminated.

Not sure I've made this clear....perhaps I need more caffeine! bear_cool

Australia

You are on my train of thought Jenny...do most people click to search for worldwide auctions from their UK, US or aussie ebays...

I have 'will post worldwide' set on my auction but wondered if most US'ers only look at the US auctions only...
I know I always look on ebay.com.au but tick worldwide auctions, from places located anywhere...but I'm from Australia were there aren't many people and if I didn't do that I would only see 20 bears, they wouldn't have that problem looking for bears located in the US....hmmmm....

Okay:/, what I'm gonna do is list on ebay.com next time just to test it out.  When I have them ready, I will put an angel and flutter bear up and see the difference..So I will have the same sorts as I've just sold on ebay.com.au.....I'll get back to you in a couple of weeks lol bear_tongue

So thanks girls, I will give it a go and see what happens...Just noticing that all my bids come from Aussies and wondered...
Hugs sarah

Barb Pontiac, Il

Hi Sarah

If you don't mind I would like to add my 2 cents as I am both a bear maker/seller on Ebay and a collector. I am from the US but I ship worldwide I recommend that highly you do reach more people, I have a bear up now that a lady from the UK has emailed wanting to know what the shipping will be. So I agree with everyone else sell worldwide.

Now as a collector, it does not matter to me where the artist is from, if I like the bear I will bid. I have my favorites set to artist offerings and if the bear is on there or in the artist place I will bid if I like it. I have to tell you I don't personally go to places that sell only from one country like US, UK, Germany etc. I do have several bears from Germany, the UK, Canada, and Austrailia and I got them all on the I guess Ebay US or ebay.com. So if you can list your bears where everyone no matter what country can see them that would be great. Don't be afraid to spread your wings a little, in the long run I think it will be well worth it.

Barb

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Sarah,
I'd go for it.  When you list an item it gives you the option to choose which countries you are willing to ship to.  I ship worldwide and because of this I now have bears in 11 countries.  The post office can help you with figuring out costs,and once you do it a few times you will get a general idea of what the shipping cost will be.

Best of luck!:D

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

The only thing that worries me..er... that I have no clue about is ...how/ what  do you tell your buyer what the cost of shipping is ? Do I have to run down to the post office with every order to find that out ?....Winney

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

In my case, UK listings can be seen by people in the US if they include the 'bears>other' category while they browse. If they narrow it down to 'bears>artist, one-of-a-kind', the UK and other international listings are eliminated

I think you have hit the nail on the head Helena and given Sarah the right information!  I had thought that this was the case (having stumbled into the "other" category and discovered some UK bears one day) but wasn't entirely sure.  I have to admit that I don't always look at it - tending to jump straight to the artist, one of a kind section and I'm sure a lot of collectors do the same.

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Wow... I had no idea that this was the case either... I've seen the "other" category, and passed it by numerous times.... heading straight for the OOAK section... OMG.... I bet I've missed seeing some lovely little bears!  :(
If this truly is the case, I bet that hits as well as bids would greatly increase by being USA e Bay in the OOAK section....!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Australia

Thanks again everyone...will be trying ebay.com next time I list and will see the difference.

Winney, we have a online Aussie post where you just type in the place you want to send to and the weight and you get the shipping price.  I know the US has one too...It makes it very easy to sell worldwide ;)

I've never looked for OOAK's specifically...I just search for 'artist bears' in the search section and tick worldwide...it works for me and I think I get all artist bear listings bear_original  Maybe I search differently to others..hmmmm

hugs sarah bear_tongue

Australia

Okay, Okay...now I have another question...
I think I've been searching in the wrong area for looking up artist bears....Usually I go to search and type in artist bears...and get around 400 results...
I've just found that if I go to the category list and click dolls and bears and then click artist offering I get a huge amount of listings!  Is this how everyone (but me) looks artist bears up?
Geez...I thought I have been doing it the best way all this time lol.
Oh, and it seems looking bears up this way on ebay.com shows up auctions all around the world, so I thought that was good...
hugs sarah

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Oh Sarah...that's exactly what I do...and I've always wondered why I can't find certain bears on eBay....it's because I do exactly what you've been doing.

Now I know.....

Jenny

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Jellybelly Bears wrote:

Okay, Okay...now I have another question...
I think I've been searching in the wrong area for looking up artist bears....Usually I go to search and type in artist bears...and get around 400 results...
I've just found that if I go to the category list and click dolls and bears and then click artist offering I get a huge amount of listings!  Is this how everyone (but me) looks artist bears up?

Hi Sarah!

If you do the search for "artist bears" you will only get the listings where the seller put "artist bear" in the title.  Searching in the catagory shows you ALL the bears listed in that catagory.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Wow - maybe this is why I am not selling bear_original i can always hope!  I personally dont bid on overseas because usually overseas sellers want just paypal transactions and I would rather send a money order.... Also, it seems like shipping is a lot when it goes overseas..... Although I did get a bear from Mandie and shipping wasnt bad.... I guess it depends on how much the person "jacks up" their shipping charges... I know some people charge and arm and a leg... I bought material one time and was charged something like $8 for shipping but when I got the package, which wasnt sent priority mail, the postage was like two something... Things like that kind of push me away from bidding on an item.  If it was the $8 for priority mail, I wouldnt have minded but to send it regular mail was annoying since it wouldnt have even costed that to send it priority mail. Sorry If I confused bear_original How do I know if my bears are listed as "worldwide" on ebay?

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Good points. When I sold my Koala I put something like ' Oliver OOAK mohair artist bear'. I try to get as many of the search words in as possible. I thing I should have put mini in as well. You are better missing even the name out as they can see your bear on the gallery. Koalas are not even bears but I had to put it in for the search element. I shall think more carefully on that one and will also list on ebay.com and uk, thanks everyone.

Australia

lol bear_grin I'm glad I wasn't the only one searching this way :redface: How embarrassing since I thought I was searching the right way lol
Everything is clearer now, the world makes more sense lol

Kim, on the aussie ebay one of the options as you list is to choose where you wish to send your bear...here you tick worldwide.  I think you should have it on ebay.com too....

Amanda, I do the same and always include artist bear...mohair..whatever will fit in that will help...now I know its the category that most people search in tho...lol :P

hugs Sarah bear_rolleyes

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Ok, I have that box clicked for worldwide then.... I wish they gave more space in the title area

Usually I put my listings like this

MacIntosh OOAK Kim-Bee Bears

So maybe when I listed him i should have put

MacIntosh OOAK mini artist bear Kim-Bee Bears

I wonder if that title is too long though... I never knew I should list like that... Maybe that is half of my problem!!! 

I always list them under "Artist Bear" category or is it OOAK Artist Bear?  I dont even know! Guess I need to do some research!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Oh oh oh! I had an idea! when Judi lists her bears she puts JP at the beginning - maybe I should list like

MacIntosh OOAK artist mini bear - KBB ???  LOL you all are on a ride with my thought process here LOL

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Kim!

That's a great idea!  Eventually your collectors will start searching for KBB in thier searches.  And that leaves room for the rest of the info about your bear!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I think that is what I will do then... I need to put more of a description bear_original

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

That title & the subtitle option (Do you folks have that option?--- it's an extra 50 cents or something here) is what gets your bear viewed by folks who are putting terms in search boxes rather than browsing by category....  If I have a mini I always have in there 'mini' 'miniature' 'artist' 'bear' and sometimes 'teddy' if I can find the room!  Those are all in the top 10 search terms in the category.  You are right... it's frequently much more important then even the name of your bear.  Not many people have the time to manually scroll through 600 artist bears, they do a search in the category and if you are included in their now scaled down list, then they can find your bear.  If I just have :

Sabina by Kim Basta Wild Thyme Originals

Only those specifically looking for MY bears or people specifically looking for bears named 'Sabina' are going to find her!   :(

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Pages:

Board footer