Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

WhimzeeBearz Whimzee Bears
Moonee Ponds, Victoria

I always seem to be running out of joints or never have the size I need (RIGHT NOW !!) being the impatient person that I am and hate waiting for orders to be delivered, does anyone know if there is a tool available that you can use to make your own joints?

I sometimes make my own mini joints using a standard hole punch so I'd like to imagine there is such a tool out there that could punch out all sorts of sizes and pierce a whole in the centre too ??

Moonee Ponds, Victoria

That is 'hole' in the centre NOT 'whole' ...  I do know how to spell lol ... how embarrassing  :redface:

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

You can get a drill attatchment that cuts out discs...not sure about the hole in the centre at the same time though....

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Several TTers have used fender washers in a pinch (you can get them at a hardware store) and they come in many sizes.

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I have a leather punch with a wheel on it so you can choose all different size holes. The actual punch is very very sharp, unlike a paper punch. It's almost like a cutter. I've had it for like 100 years and it works perfectly.

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I use a bench press drill that we got at a garage sale. I bought a kit at Home Depot that has different sized hole cutters, but it isn't that easy to use. So I finally antied up enough to but hole cutters in the sizes I need. The hole saws (cutters) also have a place to put a regular drill bit in the center so that hole is cut at the same time as your disc. I buy the laminated board in Home Depot as well and can cut as many as I need at the time, or enough to fill up my disc bins all at once
Sonya

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Thanks for the topic!

When I used to make my own bird breeding/Nesting boxess, I always needed to cut holes in the fronts. After alot of testing I found a piece called a Hole saw you attach to your drill.

Ah but the testing didn't stop there.  I purchased a cheap-ish set from my local hardware store. They came in sizes from 1"-4" I believe. The first time I drilled with it, it made my hole stagered size. I noticed when I was pushing down on my drill, that the metal teeth where spreading and so making the entrace hole a simple 2" diameter but then on the inside it was more like 2 1/4" diameter.

Make sure you get a really sturdy one. Not thin metal but one that wont bend inwards or outwards if you put pressure on it.

I did a quick search and you can get them with drill pieces attached in the center. I'm attaching an image.

Bi_Metal_Hole_Saw.jpg

Good luck,

Richy~

Moonee Ponds, Victoria

Thanks for all the great tips everyone...looks like I'm off to the hardware store  yeehah  bear_grin

Board footer