Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Well, my philosophy on this subject has always been that bears shouldn't be covered with clothes because they hide the wonderful fur . . . and that dolls are for dressing.  However, there are many, many collectors that loved dressed bears - so there you go!  My bears are pretty bare except for a bow, tie, necklace, etc.  The most I ever put on a teddy was a t-shirt and sandals and it took FOREVER for that bear to sell.  I dunno . . . guess I've had better luck with undressed teds.  There are some waaaay cute clothed bears . . . as in all of the previously posted cuties above!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I am not allowing myself the luxury of reading every post. I've got a big show this Saturday and need to get at least one more bear made plus marketing stuff. I actually moved my laptop OUT of my studio so I couldn't see it or hear it calling my name!  bear_grin  bear_grin

But, my two cents....... I LOVE undressed bears and that's all I collect..... UNLESS it has overalls..... I'm a sucker for overalls... no shirt under.

But I also think that dressing a bear can make a more unique creation than an otherwise naked bear and the sky is the limit with costumes.

But, the face should sell the bear, not the costume... no soul in clothes... hope I didn't offend any fashion fanatics with that one!  :redface:

Hugs,
Daphne

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

I like both dressed bear and un-dressed bear!!  bear_wub

Judi, Your " Snow Bear"  is so perfect :clap:
She is gorgeous with her dress and tiara but still she is beautiful without her cloth too. ..and I wanted to say, those little bunny are darling , so cute!   :dance:

Donna, Hello ! it's nice to hear from you! I love your
bear with those luxury custom outfit, they seems like can
talk and I'm sure they do....  bear_smile

Shelli, Oh..I never saw your Claire before !
She is lovely with her flower dress.  :clap:
Your other bear(undressed) always has some
special necklace or flower, Scarf and it is really cute.... bear_wub

Janet I love your bears in your avatar, they are
wearing cute winter jacket and I love your other bear who
with lovely knitting cardigan.  :dance:

Laura Lynn Her Halloween dress is so darling !! and
your bear has pretty adorable face(as usual....)  :clap:

Jenny I said this before but can I said it again?
The bear in your avatar is outstanding  bear_wub He look
so cute and his Overall(wrong spell?) is perfect with him.  bear_smile

Dilu, I think golly have right to wear cloth on !!!  :dance:

After all....you all makes fabulous bear and the bear
look good with or without dress . With wearing dress,
the bear can be protagonist of story and more like human.

Ok now,  same as Laura  I have to finish my
Teddy 4 Charity bear tonight !  :doh:

Bear Hugs/Marie

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi All
To dress or not to dress- that is the question??? I personally do not like to dress natural fur bears as it is a shame to cover up the luxurious fur. My other bears I will often dress but usually in antique or vintage baby dresses or jackets, bonnets, doll clothes etc. This though depends on what mohair I have used and the effect I want to create. I did have a collector tell me at one show that she always looks for panties under a dressed bear- go figure!!!!
Hugs
Gail

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Hi Everyone,

Oooh I really think this is personal opinions, likes and dislikes!!  I really much prefer a naked bear... I don't really know if this is because I don't know how to sew, so it's a self protection type thing - don't want to fall inlove with something that I can't do?

But, I agree with the statement that dolls are for dressing.  Being a huge doll fan, I guess that's what I think also!

Having said all this, I'm going to contradict myself.  I am starting to like SOME dressed bears.... and sometimes, on the odd occassion, I wish I could sew!!  LOL  I guess I need to know my own mind sometimes  :twisted:

What a huge help I am!
Danni

lw2ndstar Annapolis, Maryland

Hi everybody,

As a collector, I've always chosen bare bears because I love the feel of mohair, and I am a traditionalist, I guess.  That said, I absolutely LOVE the bears that you ladies have been putting up.  bear_wub  :clap:  I want them all!  :doh:

As a bearmaker, the only bears I ever made to sell in a bear shop (50% commission!  bear_shocked ) they wanted DRESSED.  Now, I don't sew clothes well!  So my poor babies had really BORING, yucky clothing.  bear_ermm  The shop was happy, but I was not.  I wish I was as creative as you all.   Lately my bears get a bow, if they're lucky, poor things.

I agree that for me making the clothes takes twice as long as making the bear!  Much more frustrating!!!

But I'd really like to try knitting the leggings that Jenny's bear wears!  Does anybody have a knitting pattern that is similar? I'm a novice knitter.
Lynne

Deb Upstate New York

Judi ~

I'm thinking dressed ... but we didn't see a picture of naked Snow Bear WITH bunnies.  If you are going to auction, photograph both with and without.

With one bear I sold, the buyer wrote and said she had taken dress off and hoped I didn't mind.  So I think same as others have said here, it's the face that has the draw for most.

But if I were Snow Bear and bunnies new owner, I'd leave her dressed.

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

I like both dressed and undressed bears, and I collect both.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_wub bear_wub Judi and Shelli and Laura---yummy bears as usual.

Judi, I keep studying your pics and can't for the life of me figure out what it is, besides the clothing, that makes Snow look so feminine.

Shelli, I love the effect of the pinky background behind the pinky dress. Little Claire really glows.

My little Lily is dressed so people can tell who is whose teddy. Making the clothing was a lot more fun than I expected.

On the general question, I have no idea! Besides, I'm in New Brunswick right now, trying to get used to Hubs's laptop while he's at a conference. No mouse . . . aargh. Very difficult to navigate this stupid thing.

Has anyone ever noticed that although Donald and Daisy Duck wear nothing below the waist (except Daisy's heels), Donald gets out of the bath and wraps a towel around his waist?

Eileen

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

DEFINITELY DRESSED TO ALL THE BEARS :clap: :clap:THEY ALL LOOK TERRIFIC :dance:

Board footer