Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Gail you've worked wonders!  He's gorgeous!  As a big bear maker, I couldn't even begin to imagine how my pattern work scaled down so far ... as you saw by the original piece, it is well on the largish side!  :crackup:

Thank you so much for being the first to share your design process with us .. it's really interesting to read about where that one pattern piece led you and I'm so delighted to have given you food for thought for future work. 

I have a feeling this project is going to be absolutely fascinating!  We are going to have many different bears to enjoy from that one pattern piece and it's going to be so interesting to see and hear about how people approach their designs.  I'm really looking forward to seeing all the finished bears ... so far I have posted out almost fifty emails containing the pattern piece to members!!  bear_original

Tynnateddy sault ste marie

Me too please as i have not done this before and have been away for awhile oh ok who are we kidding since March ( :redface: ) We sold our house and bought another and decided to change the whole thing so as you can see been quite busy but I have peeked in on you guys from time to time hehehe !!! So I now have decided its time to get back to me ! Looking forward to this.... a personal challenge for me !!!!
Email me Paula tynna44@hotmail.com
Thanks Tynna
P.S. Gail your bear looks MARVELLOUS !!!!!

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Gail, I agree, he's gorgeous. I'm so impressed that you really adjusted the size, but he's perfect.

djbbears Queensland

Hi Paula would love to have a go needs to keep busy at the moment bear_flower
Gail he is a cutey...... bear_thumb

Debbie

Teddy09328 Esche B�r

WOW! Gail is fast! And it is a very cute bear.  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Gail P Walnut Tree Corner Bears By Gail
Suffolk

Thanks everybody for you comments on Cedrick, I am glad you like him.
It wasn't really that difficult to resize and shrink the pattern so much, it's more a question of keeping the proportions right rather than the size.I don't know about anybody else, but when I am designing a pattern I sort of draw the bear in profile then draw the pattern pieces in place then trace each bit off individually, I suppose maybe that doesn't work so easily with larger bears, but its easy enough with my usual size of 2 to 3 inches LOL . How do you do it?
Tiny Hugs,
Gail

Kent
Website

That's interesting Gail.  I never draw the bear first, I always work with what's in my head, translating it straight into pattern pieces, working on one part of my design idea at a time (usually the head shaping) and following that through on a 'knee bone's attached to the thigh bone' (song!) basis.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

I'll join in Paula, thanks.

Hugs Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_flower  bear_thumb

Sumien Sumini bears
Johannesburg

hallo Paula, I'm a bit late, but could I still join the challenge? Sumien

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

Hi  Paula

I think I would like to have a go too! bear_thumb

Raewyn

Kent
Website

What a great take-up for this challenge!  I'm afraid I need to put a deadline on applications for the pattern piece now, because it's taking up so much time sending it out to everyone.  So far, we have about fifty challengees for this project. If anyone else would like to participate could you please send me your email address before Tuesday 23rd October, after which I will be closing the doors to new challenge applicants.  Thanks!

klippie Klippie's Creations
Gauteng (Johannesburg)
shantell wrote:

Hi Paula,

I need a bearmaking boost...I've been very stagnant and downright bored (shame on me).  I'd love to give this challenge a try.

Thanks for a great idea!!!

Shantell

Hi Paula,
Please count me in, I feel just like Shantell does and I would love to have something to give me a kickstart again.

I have emailed you my email address so that you can just reply with the attachment - I hope this is o.k.

Thanx Annelie (Klippie)

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I'm in Paula. I will make it also my christmas critter. That way I have the time. hehehehehh
Wendy
My second email has my address Paula. I forgot about the no attachment on TT emails. Cheers

Kent
Website

Pattern is in the post ladies! bear_thumb

I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone does with this pattern piece.  If nothing else, it should show us that we can all create something completely individual from the same starting point.  For those of you new to pattern design, please let us know if you come up against any problems so we can share thoughts to help one another in this respect.

For those of you more experienced with design, I hope you will use the pattern piece to push yourselves into new areas!

Above all, I hope the pattern piece gives us the focus to create beautifully made bears (or maybe not bears?) which will become heirlooms of the future and friends for collectors today.

shuzlebears England

Hi Paula,
I would like to try too!
I will email you straight away....thank you!

Hugs, Shirley x

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Who me TOOOOOOOOOO maybe this will inspire me to start sewing and designing again. Get rid of the divorce blues !!!

Stellajella Wien

Paula, Paula, plllleeeeaaazzzzeeee...may I also??? bear_original

This idea sounds so tempting! I just could not resist!!!!

Gaby bear_flower

Sammybeardog Hobart Bears
Ferndale, Michigan

Hi Paula,
I also would like to give this a go, thanks.

Karen

Kent
Website

Pattern piece is in the 'post' ladies!  Have fun!

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

The way you sent me mine ....I cant figure out how to copy it from where it is  maybe its because it is 4:30 am !!!

Kent
Website

Don't worry Jodi, I'll resend as a jpeg if it's easier for you.

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Hi Paula, will you send it to me as jpeg as well, please?  I'd love to try to give this one a go!

Kimberly W.

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

woohoo!!  I have just finished my challenge bear.  Only I can't show you as I have promised to have four new bears on my site on Saturday and no one gets to see the bears till then.  I do have a sneak peak on my blog though.

I have to confess, I didn't design a totally new bear.  I had a wee bear half sewn who'd had her head pieces stolen for another project (don't ask!  bear_tongue )  I thought it was the right motivation to get me to do the challenge.  I almost don't want to tell you Paula that my finished side head measures just on 1 centimetre deep (1/3 inch) at the deepest point and the whole bear is a fraction over 2 inches (5.5cm).  It felt a bit sacreligious to shrink your pattern that much.   bear_whistle

Thanks for a fun challenge...right off to finish those 4 bears...only 3 more days to finish them

Kent
Website

LOL!!! Well done Melissa!  I have a feeling I am going to be amazed by such tiny creations from such a big pattern!  It just goes to show, all you need is a little bravery and a lot of imagination!  Pattern pieces should only be a starting point when it comes to design.

Kimberly, you just squeeked in!  Your pattern piece is 'in the post' as we speak!

No more applications for the pattern piece now please ... I'm worn to a frazzle sending them all out! bear_tongue

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Your sneaky peak Melissa isnt fair. I want to see more of him and I warn you, I'm not a patient woman :redface:  bear_grin  bear_grin
Wendy

Board footer