Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Very cute. Looks like those blue eyes were meant just for him.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

He's absolutely wonderful!!!

RaggyRat The RaggyRat Company
Weymouth
Website

wow a stunner, well done xxxx

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Oh Laurie!  Your bear has turned out so well!  Those eyes really suit him!  :clap:  :clap:

He's still quite a bit smaller than the smallest of my current bears, so it's lovely to see how the pattern piece has worked for this size of bear.  I'm so pleased this challenge has given you the confidence to push yourself further with your design work ... I will look forward to seeing your bears taking part in future competitions!!  bear_thumb

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

Ladies I need your help because I think I have bitten off more than I can chew  :redface:  This is my first challenge and first attempt to design own pattern - it was coming along nicely, basic pattern drawn, fabric chosen etc BUT due to some problems at home I have got no further and I'm dreaming bears (but not in a good way!). 

I really want to do this challenge, but I like to hand sew and I'm so SLOW.  So this is the problem - I'm not happy with a basic design (boring!) - I really want to post a bear that I'm proud to let sit with your beautiful creations.  I've decided and dreamt of an inset muzzle, I've read the other threads, I've looked at Nancy Tillbergs book AND I had a go on my last bear, but it turned out like a big blob on its face! Was going to throw it away, but thought I might make a monkey from it instead (one year  bear_grin ) - am I slicing in the wrong place? 

This has proven one thing to me I'm not gonna be a bear artist - too much pressure and decisions! I think I will take the slow road and stay as a bear maker  bear_grin  Also I would like to say to all those bear artist that manage to do it with kids, animals and other commitments that I'm in total awe of you  bear_wub

Hugs Ali x

Kent
Website

:hug: Ali, my advice is that the first rule of design is to keep it as simple as possible.  Make sure you've got a really good bear designed first, nicely proportioned and with a head that works well.  A 'don't run before you can walk' approach really will pay off in the long run.  Once you've developed a solid pattern that works without any 'messin', then you can move on a phase and work out how to develop that pattern further.  If the basics are in place, tweaking your original design will be much easier. 

The inset muzzle is a good place to start extending your original head pattern.  Basically, where you detach the muzzle piece from the head piece will be dependent on the end look you want to achieve.  For example, I slice a little higher than the line of the muzzle and curve my newly cut muzzle piece into the head pattern because I like quite full looking 'cheeks' and I like to sink the eye into the area where the seam sits, rather than have the inset muzzle sitting below the eye.  You could also make a muzzle in one piece to give a different look ... I haven't played around with that, so maybe someone else can give some further advice.  How you site the muzzle will also determine how much trimming you need/want to do. 

I think if I was designing an inset muzzle for the very first time, I would just inset the sides of the muzzle and leave the gusset part for another design.  It usually works well to have the side gusset in contrasting fabric and the head gusset in the original fabric.   One step at a time ...!

The main things to remember are to choose a suitable alternative fabric for the inset muzzle, something that complements the main fabric, which can be trimmed to achieve the look you want and remember to allocate seam allowances on both the new inset muzzle piece and the head piece so they join together without detracting from the original shape and size of the overall head pattern.

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

Laurie and everyone else,
Great job!  Love your finished bears!!!  Each bear (and other creature) is so completely different!  What a fun challenge.

K Pawz Guest

Mine is done, honestly she is, just with the kittens I haven't gotten pics yet, but we are all settled into a routine now so I will post pictures TODAY, I promise

Hugs,
Krista

K Pawz Guest

WoW what a stunning bear Laurie!!! You have really created and designed an amazing work of art!

Hugs,
Krista

K Pawz Guest

Okay finally!! these are just some quick pics, and I am at a loss, it has been so long I have no idea how to accesorize a bear!!! Help and suggestions appreciated!

This is still un named bear, she stands 7 inches tall, I used Paula's pattern at I believe 60%, but I may be wrong...I designed her head gusset as well as the rest of her body, she is made from gorgeous Tyber plush from Sassy's bears and it is just the softest fur ever!! Five way jointed, wired arms, and steel shot in her cute little tummy, she also has hand shaded details, olivey brown hand painted eyes, and an embroidered nose which is then varnished.

Hugs,
Krista

kpawzchallenge1.jpg
Kpawzchallenge2.jpg
Kpawzchallenge3.jpg

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark

Ohh Krista, she is soooooo sweet.  bear_wub
All of the bears are sooo wonderful, you all did a great job.
I still only half way finished.

:hug:

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

Your bear has turned out gorgeous Krista.It is hard to believe that all these creations look nothing like each other yet have all had the same head piece.
Laurie :hug:

bea Lodve (Hrault)

congratulations for everyone, yours bears are absolutely adorables and so differents :clap:  :clap:

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Very cute, Krista.

mickeyflip Sunshine Coast, QLD

Krista she is beautiful!!  And I think she looks just fine in the nude  bear_grin

You could just hang a little charm or something around her neck if you really wanted something, but she does herself justice without anything at all.

I love her!!

RaggyRat The RaggyRat Company
Weymouth
Website

krista - i like her naked too !
so apealing looking
cat xxx

KiddoBears KiddoBears
California

Maltilda bear_flower  bear_thumb  and Ellen  bear_flower  :hug:  :hug:  bear_thumb  bear_thumb Krista bear_flower  bear_thumb  they are all beautiful bears :hug:
I did finish mine when I did and its been patiently waiting for a picture bear_grin ,but with 13 grandchildern around 8 grown ones.It been a little busy in this house through the week and weekends. I just haven't been able to get its picture,when I want to its tool ate to do it,but I promise you will see it bear_grin sorry just can't help me bear_grin I'm just thinking its just loving nerves :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Kent
Website

Krista, your bear is lovely!  I really like the proportions you've used .. the slightly large head and big ears lend the bear such cute appeal and the body shaping sits perfectly with the arms and legs.  I can easily see the shape of my side head, but your overall head design is so different from mine ... and that fabric works beautifully with it.  Well done! :clap:  :clap:

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

Aww Krista your bear is adorable!

BIG THANKS to Paula, you've put me back on track. I've followed your advice and done side muzzle peices only and I cut my peices out last night so hopefully I can start sewing tonight!  Might manage this challange after all - yipee!!!!!!

Hugs Ali x

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Krista!!! WOW!!!! Spectacular!! enchanting!! Just sheer beauty!! So this is where all those dogs and kitty's have led you. They led you to become and awe inspiring soft sculpture artist. Your Teddy bear is adorable and I'm gunna 'avta get me some of that pretty fabric

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
This is a standing ovation by the way :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
Wendy

TeddyB Posts: 83

Everyone bears are so pretty bear_grin 
Is it to late to join in on this event? I would love to join in bear_original

Kent
Website

Sorry TeddyB, the deadline for this challenge is end November and the application deadline was sometime ago. bear_flower

Only a few more days to go ... I sent out over fifty challenge pieces, so let's hope a few more are completed before we close! bear_thumb

KiddoBears KiddoBears
California

thanksgiving-11-22-2007-016.jpgthanksgiving-11-22-2007-014.jpgThanksgiving-11-22-2007-015.jpgHi! everyone here is my head of design challenge.  :doh: forgot to include her full picture

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

WOW thats excellent Mary. I totally adore her!! :dance:  :dance:

bea Lodve (Hrault)

Wow she's wonderful!!!..... :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Board footer