Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Dilu Posts: 8,574

OK, I did gather up all the odd assorted packages of rovings I have squirreled in the last couple of months.  This stuff is wool.  I have 3 very very large tupperware boxes of rovings.  Since tupperware is air tight do I need to worry about moths?  Or should I throw some cedar chips in for good measure......

Anyone else here think the German verb Hamstern means to stock up on everything bear/golly in case there is a bizaare world wide shortage?  Sometimes I think I overdo it just a little but I will never cop to that in front of my honey-..... :lol:

Good thing he doesn't read TT.

:P

please don't say moth balls-ugh....and they are sooooostrong

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Well I would go with the cedar chips, just because they smell nice. And its better to be safe than sorry. bear_thumb        I intensely dislike mothballs :twisted:

purelyneysa Purely Neysa
Indiana, PA
Website

Matilda,

Your question made me think of what you do with a finished critter. Here's what I put on a card and give to the collectors that purchase one of my needle felted critters.

Taking care of your Needle Felted Critter or Mohair Critter with Needle Felted Face/Paw Pads

If your critter becomes dirty, lightly blow the dust off. Avoid any hard rubbing with your hand or cloth.
Do not comb or brush. DO NOT WASH!

Washing, rubbing, combing or getting your critter wet will loosen the wool & cause your critter to change it’s appearance.

HANDLE WITH CARE this is not a toy. It is suggested that you display your critter on a shelf or in a glass display case & keep away from pets and small children.

Lin & Vicky of Pookie Bears came up with the idea and I added a few words. Feel free to use this or any part with your critters.

Neysa

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Thank you Neysa for this info!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

:thumbsup:Good advice Neysa.  Thanks for sharing. :angel:

Ahh yes, Dilu...we can never have too large of a stash of wool, mohair , fur, needles.....etc  My hubby hardly asks anymore what "santa" brought when I receive a box.  I have to have lots of supplies so when the 'mood' strikes, I am ready for action...bear action that is :dance:

I'm with Matilda, it can't hurt to have some cedar chips in your wool.  I have had alpaca wool , in the form of yarn, eaten by moths.  Nasty little buggars.  The cedar smells great too . Bonus. :thumbsup:.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh And if you can't stand cedar, try bay leaves  :thumbsup:

Eileen

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Bay leaves?  Well, I just learned something new.  Where is the best place to buy them Eileen?

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

They are in my pantry!

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I agree - you can never have enuf mohair, roving, wool, etc. My husband is away for a month and I've been busy ordering on-line like crazy. It'll all come before he's home and in any case I'm counting on him feeling guilty for going away for a month and leaving poor me all alone (with my bears) so I'm sure he won't say anything.  :angel:

Marion

Bay trees grow wild here, so getting the leaves is no problem.  I put them in flour to keep the bugs away....good to know re: wool.   I will get cedar next time I go to Walmart, which since I went a month ago will be awhile, so bay leaves here I come!  I also use them ever so prosaically to cook with.

Neysa  great idea for finished critters!~  Thanks-

Judi I'm with you-  you need a lot of everything so you are ready to go when the idea hits.  Ricky really is an incredible support and good sport. 

He once pointed out that we spend the same amount of money for our projects, but his will be a huge expenditure at one time, (when he purchases a project car to fix up) and mine is spaced all through the year.

Personally I like the spaced out feeling.  I try to have something coming at least once a month.  Something to look forward to and get inspired by.

And, well, lets face it, if the psych nurse doesn't know herself she's in trouble, so I also like the packages coming because I haven't quite grown up yet.....its the old "what did you bring me" thing from childhood. :clap:

Thanks for all the ideas, I feel a little better about the wool now....I can't believe how much I bought-I hope its a nice snowy winter-old movies and needle felting go well together.

bear_tongue

Judi

You can get the bay leaves at the grocery store, in the spice isle.  Usually they come in a bottle as whole leaves.
:hug:

bear_tongue

Marion

Way to go!  Have fun!

bear_tongue

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Judi,

Most health stores, or bulk stores, carry bay leaves in quantity. They're not as pretty as the ones in the small packages, but they're a lot cheaper!

I use them in our cupboards to keep the moths away, and in garment bags, esp. to keep the moths out of Hubs's kilt!

Eileen

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Dilu - totally off subject here but I don't think you've ever said (or I missed it  :doh: ) what your hubby's name is. You've always said so many wonderful things about him but never his name! Big hugs to Ricky for being such a wonderful hubby and making our Dilu so happy and well cared for!  :hug:  :D
Daphne

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Personally I like the spaced out feeling.  I try to have something coming at least once a month.  Something to look forward to and get inspired by.

And, well, lets face it, if the psych nurse doesn't know herself she's in trouble, so I also like the packages coming because I haven't quite grown up yet.....its the old "what did you bring me" thing from childhood.

Thanks for all the ideas, I feel a little better about the wool now....I can't believe how much I bought-I hope its a nice snowy winter-old movies and needle felting go well together.

Dilu, I am with you%110!!!

I sat and wacthed/listened to the movie "Phantom of the Opera", for the 15th time, while needle felting paws on a large tiger I just designed.  This tiger is made from short German mohair..all white...  he is my pallate.  I just mapped out his stripes and plan on airbruhsing this fellow from head to toe.  I am layering four colors.  I am very excited about this one.  He has been a tremdous amount of work but hopefully will show a good example of airbrushing.    YES Dilu, I willsahre photos whenhe is done.  bear_thumb bear_laugh bear_thumb :hug:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Eileen, Thanks for the tip on Bay leaves.  I will have to go and get some.   :hug:

Hubby's Kilt?  I think I remember you saying a long time ago your husband is Scottish (?)  COOL!  Can he river dance too? :dance: :dance:

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Also a thank you from me for the bay leaf tip. Although, I wonder if we have a moth problem here in Alberta. Never heard or seen anyone who had a problem with them.

Marion, very funny. You totally scored some guilt points, and that's quite a bit of supplies!!!

I thought I was the only one who would not be quite so forthcoming with my packages. Even though my boyfriend has never complained, it's just easeir this way. Plus, he really gets into my bears, but never thinks about my supplies. You'd think he wonder where it all comes from.  :twisted: :twisted: Although sometimes I do share with him, because it's just another reason to look at it again!! LOL

Heather

Funny posts....I've bay leaved all my wool boxes, and decided I should do it with the angora and mohair yarn I got for "knitties" as well......and well the golly bodies are wool-  but that doesn't seem to last around here......but what about all the mohair hanging in the closet.......hmmmm

I have it all hanging on skirt hooks....I may have to beg and plead my case for a trip to Walmart-I think they have cedar stuff that hangs on coathangers......

( don't tel anyone, but I have this awful feeling that if I never bought anything more I could still keep myself busy for the rest of my life......the busy part is OK but no more shopping?  How much fun would that be? bear_ermm

Daphne- he is a very good man-picks his battles carefuly and is exceeding honest.  You know the Giego commercial when she come in and says 'does this dreaa make me look fat?'  He would say 'you betcha' in a heart beat.....especially since it did make her look fat.  I learned a long time ago not to ask any questions I might not want to know the answer to.

The other side of the coin is he's honest with me about him, and since he's a homebody I know he's telling the truth  :D

I think I will keep the boxes coming-but work faster......

bear_tongue

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh

I think I will keep the boxes coming-but work faster......

bear_laugh

:hug::D Thanks, Dilu! This is my new mantra!  :thumbsup:

Eileen

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Judi , river dancing is Irish, honey!!!!  :doh:

And every thing else you guys were chatting about  bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin I love listening to you lot. Ya crack me up  bear_grin :dance:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh He is Scottish, Judi!

If he can River Dance (I know it's Irish, but the Scots can do anything!) I don't want to know. Actually, I've never danced with him or seen him dance . . . it just didn't come up. Hmm.

We've got kilt, sporrin, socks, sash, the whole kit! John's Dad registered a 'Baird' tartan, since none existed. It looks a lot like Black Watch, with a lavender stripe instead of a red. I've got a huge piece of it somewhere, but can't decide what I want to do with it!

Eileen

Deb Upstate New York

This is an incredibly entertaining thread!  Love it, and you guys, of course.  I chuckle every time I even look at the title, as I keep reading it as The Care and Feeding of Dilu.   bear_grin

HOHOHO   as long as the feeding includes at least 1 bite of chocolate a day I'm fine with that!

bear_tongue bear_tongue

Deb Upstate New York

Dilu ~ Milk or dark chocolate?  I found dark chocolate M&M's at WalMart yesterday.  Mmmm!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Dark chocolate.  Milk choc is too sweet. 

bear_grin bear_grin :lol:Matilda, I realized that after I posted...River Dance is Irish...well, they are geographically close... bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

Have any of you wacthed "Lord of the Dance"?..or the flashier version, "Feet of Flames".  This came rigth after River Dance.  Very  very very cool.

Eileen, maybe you could make a Scottish bear wearing a kilt with the fabric you decribed.  Would'nt that be neat? :thumbsup:

Deb, your avatar bear is awesome! bear_smile

Board footer