Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

OK, since Paula 'outed' me, here are a couple of pictures of my open mouth bears! bear_grin

Arden1.jpg

Arden is 7 inches high and has a lower jaw applied separately.  This side view shows the nice, smiling curve that is someties (!) achievable.

rawlins2.jpg

Rawlins has an inset mouth gusset, similar to the way Paula describes her method.  The two bears on my avatar have been done this way too and all are approximately 14 inces.  Oh, and all my open mouth bears have teeth made from white Tulip Paint - like Judi says, you can coax it with a cocktail stick once you have applied it.  And, if you don't like the stark colour of it, you can paint over it with acrylic paint to create a more natural look.
Chris

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

I forgot to add that, if you are working out your own pattern for a mouth insert, I have found that it helps to make the widest point (where upper and lower jaws meet at the corners of the mouth) a little wider that the nose of your head gusset.  If you look at the pictures members have posted here, you will see what I mean... I was too dense to work this out for ages - duh!! bear_grin
Chris

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Gorgeous bears Chris and great advice!   bear_thumb

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

I was so surprised on seeing this topic started back in 2005. Another great topic! There is always something new to learn and how we do things differently to achieve the same thing. I know I have tried a couple of different techniques on doing an open mouth.  Still working on the open / close design myself.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

ginger1.jpgginger7.jpg

You can't keep a good topic down. I have just finished a miniature open mouth. I'm mostly pleased but I know next time where to improve. I was also a little dissapointed the photos don't show the mouth up as much as real life. But hey ho I managed it. This is Ginger and he is 3 1/4" tall.

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

Amanda it looks good! Wow he is tiny.

baggaley bears Baggaley Bears
UK ( nottinghamshire )
Website

Oh wow all the bears look so adorable.
Here is one of mine, he has a lower jaw applied separately like Christine's beautiful bear in her first picture.
Max_small.jpg
Hugs
Vicki

pma2003 Seamore Collectibles
CT

O'h I'm so excited that you have all posted info on an open mouth bear.  My last two attempts have been frustrating.  I finally get it!!! and I've taken notes.  I have been looking all over teddy bear forums to find the info...duh!!

I've tackled my first project this year, needle felting and got my daughter addicted to it and came home to find out she had made an naime needle felted bear today.  (I'll have to post it this weekend on needle felting)  And the second was an open mouthed bear.

Thank you ladies for all your pictures and suggestions.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Shari, I insert sequin pins into each tooth beofre baking the clay

(From Judi 2 - 3 yrs ago?) Is that with the head of the pin embedded in the tooth or sticking out to help hold inside the jaw?
That's what i did (once) after giving the tip a little bend w/the jewelry rounded pliers so both ends would stay in place

jellybean JellyBelly Bears

I'm finding this topic very interesting. thanks for the information

Millie

Board footer