Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I'm with Aleta - HOLY MACRANOIE!   I sew my bears by hand because I enjoy it, but I know it takes me an hour to stuff and close one of my 5 inch bear heads - I only use excelsior.  It's at least 3 hours to stuff the rest of the body.  I'm not up for timing an entire bear - I'd be suicidal  :crackup:

hugs,

Brenda

wilma Posts: 51

oh my, some of you are so fast! Yesterday I only drew a pattern, and cut the fabric and it took me almost the whole evening... I didn't really look at the clock but it must have been like 3 hours before I had my fabric cut for a bear that is going to be  35 cm... The next one I will really check how long it takes me to make a complete bear... but actually I'm not sure if really I want to know how long it takes me... bear_wacko  :redface:

The Rabbit Maker The Rabbit Maker
England
Website

Now you have got me thinking. I don't think I could make a rabbit that quick ! No I know I couldn't . I am going to time it in the way you've done it ,just to see if it can be done if I stop visiting TT now and then!!! :crackup:

K Pawz Guest

Okay so here goes....I started Major the day Paula announced this exercise so used it as a perfect opportunity since this is usually the same procedure for all of my creations. I can't believe how much time it actually takes when i keep track of it all! Good thing I don't have another job to go to or I would get nothing done!

Major is 12" nose to tail
303770154.jpg
303770150.jpg

I designed a new pattern for Major, which is the norm for me as well with each creation, but have broken it down with and without the pattern design time.

Design pattern    3 hours

1.  draw out your pattern                     10 min
2.  cut out your pattern                    1hour
3.  trim your fabric edges                    1 hour
4.  pin your fabric (I use over cast stitch)    4 hours
5.  handsew your pieces        8 hours
6.  turn, stuff and joint the head                  20 minutes
7.  trim the head (scissor sculpt)        6 hours
8.  Paint and insert eyes/eyelids        2 hours
9. sculpt and paint nose        3 hours
10. Wire and attach ears        2 hours
11. turn, stuff limbs, insert joints/wire    4 hours
12. attach limbs and head to body, closing seams        30 minutes
13. stuff body and close final seam, body sculpting.        2 hours   
14. Body Airbrushing with dry time between coats        5 hours
15. Needle felting paw pads                3 hours
16. Face color details                    5 hours

47 hours without pattern design 50 with pattern design

Hugs,
Krista

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi everyone bear_flower
Well, first of all - Krista, your work is absolutely stunning.  Major looks wonderful! bear_wub

Paula, 16 minutes to stuff and joint a head!!!!!! I think you should produce a video!!!!!!! bear_grin

As it was maybe my comment on another thread to Paula that possibly sparked this topic off, I guess I should be timing myself properly too!  I only cut out a new pattern today in order to time myself, but as I am in the midst of seven other bears all in different stages at the moment, I think it will be a little while before I have any figures to hand!!!  I'll try not to be tooooooooooooo long!!!!!  bear_wacko

Hugs

Marilyn bear_flower

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Wow, Krista, that is a lot of time to make one of your critters but the results sure are worth the effort - the detail is amazing!!

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

patience.JPGOkay here is the Bear 7" if she could stand, not my standard bear but I have been on a kick this year of Challenging my self.

She took [size=16][/size]11hours, She is bigger than my usual range of 3 to 5 inches so a little longer to do. But that is spread over 3 days also

5 hours on sunday
pick fabric, enlarge pattern, trace, fray check, cut
Sewed pieces. Painted eyes
3 hours Monday evening
just doing head, eyes, nose.
3 hour last night painting waxing and embellishing and now I think she needs daisy on her feet???

ciderantiques Ciderantiques and Old Soul Bears
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Hello, I am lucky if I complete two bears in a month (so I am not very fast).   My current strategy is to try making several bears at a time.  Maybe that will make things move along faster.   Any theories on the "sewing in bulk" approach ? Is it faster overall?

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I started this last monday then got waylaid with been asked to go into work. Proves Paula's point really to all this. I'll try again next week when I'm hoping to have a clearer run. Very interesting and could help to stop us meandering along. Don't forget the more bears you do, the quicker they are as you get them right first time. I've found that out, the opposite this week as I try do do something new.  bear_wacko  bear_whistle  bear_angry

Board footer