Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

KiddoBears KiddoBears
California

Hi Roxanne. I agree don't give up. How would you feel if I told you and  I feel  :redface:  to now let everyone will know this. :redface:
You feel bad cause you haven't sold recently  :crackup:
Well  I haven't sold in many years a bear.since I started.Yes ...and I am still trying. Only God and my family know how hard I have been trying, even though sometimes I feel that I will never get anywhere and I do bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry sometimes.
I have gotten old trying. I enjoy with all my heart and soul what I do still. But all of you in here keep me going with all your creations. and I just keep saying if you girls can do I have to too.  I don't know how yet, and I have to continue trying,cause  I know I have to get where you all are more or less as a known artist. My journey believe me it has not been easy.  Roxanne! Your bears are known and beautiful, you have set a name out there and you have sold. Your creations are beautiful. Maybe mine aren't yet to be good enough for someone to want them.Maybe someday! I can't give up for myself,years of making,learning,spending,and for my family that still believe in me bear_cry So don't throw your towel and be patient,time will get better.
:crackup: Right now I am struggling to put my very first bear in E-Bay and I don't know what I am doing wrong that its not listing :crackup:  bear_sad  bear_cry  bear_rolleyes  bear_whistle  bear_wacko  bear_shocked  bear_happy  bear_sad  bear_original all this are my emotions at times. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: Roxanne bear_wub

Roxanne Bear Paws by Roxanne
Odessa, Tx

Thank you all for the hugs of encouragement. I truly appreciate it.  :hug:
I feel as if I owe an apology to you. I kinda went off on a tirade. My emotions were at wits end and I just had to blow off some steam. I know I probably sounded like a whining fool because I am having a slow time right now. But when things are doing well we kinda get a little spoiled and want it to continue. I know that the economy is touchy right now, but guess what, it is finally looking good down here in west texas. The housing is up, wages are up. Businesses around here are begging people on the streets to work for them.
I really have considered doing shows, but like I had said before, being here in west tx I am hundreds of miles from any shows at all. Albuquerque, 406 miles. Dallas, 360 miles. Any which way is quite a distance.
There were a suggestion to make smaller bears. Yes, that is a great idea. I have been working on a idea or two.

I'm not going to give up, I really love doing what I do. Please accept my apology for being such a "wah baby!"
Somebody call the wahm-bulance!!  bear_tongue
Thanks again for your heart felt thoughts!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Please accept my apology for being such a "wah baby!"

Apology not necessary Roxanne.
We all enjoy being needed, caring and supportive. Plus, Ya just gotta vent sometimes. :dance:
Wendy

KiddoBears KiddoBears
California

You right Matilda Apology not necessary.I felt good venting too! :crackup:  :hug:  :hug: Roxanne you will be just fine and start selling again when you least expect it. bear_thumb bear_thumb  :clap:  :clap:  for not giving up :hug:  :hug:  :hug: Your bears have your unique touch bear_original  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

The Rabbit Maker The Rabbit Maker
England
Website

We all need to let off steam and it's great to be able to do it with like minded people so 'wah'  bear_cry  away !!!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I can fully appreciate being in the middle of nowhere when it comes to the shows.  Do you have an airport nearby?  Sometimes you can get reasonable flights for shorter distances. It would save wear and tear on you, and shorten your travel time a bit if you could utilize a planetrip to get to a show  bear_thumb

And yes, all of us deserve to have a good whine/cry session from time to time.  Life isn't always all Lollipop Land  :bday:

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

As far as distance from shows go, 300-400 miles sounds about normal.  Very few artists are lucky enough to live right beside a show venue, and with the way the shows are spread out all over the country right now, even if you lived right on top of one, you would probably only be close to *just* that one.  Many artists travel hundreds of miles or more to get to the shows they attend.  Most of the shows we do are over 300 miles away, and when we go to Schaumburg it's more like 900 miles.  We drive to all of them due to my mother's dietary restrictions (we travel with several coolers as we cannot eat out.)

My suggestion would be that if you feel the distance is prohibitive, look into making a vacation of it.  Drive or fly into an area, do the bear show, and stay around as tourists for a while (and that makes part of your trip deductible as a business expense at tax time, by the way.)  I'm sure you can find a solution if you want to.

Best wishes,
Kelly

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

bearlyart wrote:

As far as distance from shows go, 300-400 miles sounds about normal.  Very few artists are lucky enough to live right beside a show venue, and with the way the shows are spread out all over the country right now, even if you lived right on top of one, you would probably only be close to *just* that one.  Many artists travel hundreds of miles or more to get to the shows they attend.  Most of the shows we do are over 300 miles away, and when we go to Schaumburg it's more like 900 miles.  We drive to all of them due to my mother's dietary restrictions (we travel with several coolers as we cannot eat out.)

My suggestion would be that if you feel the distance is prohibitive, look into making a vacation of it.  Drive or fly into an area, do the bear show, and stay around as tourists for a while (and that makes part of your trip deductible as a business expense at tax time, by the way.)  I'm sure you can find a solution if you want to.

Best wishes,
Kelly

Kelly is soooo right!  I've done shows for 10 years and have ALWAYS driven to each one.  If it's out of the state of Texas, Paul and I make a short vacation out of it.  We've been to California, Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Illinois so far.  All nice trips.  Hope you'll decide to try a show sometime - they're lots of fun.   :hug:  :hug:

Jack&Lilia Jack & Lilia
Gloucestershire
Website

Hi Roxanne, I know how you feel.....I'm not sure where to sell at the moment either and it's very discouraging....prices seem to be quite low, especially on ebay....but do keep on making your lovely bears...or at least have some fun designing some new ideas....I've been spending time on pattern designing and making different sizes...and even dyeing mohair! I think decide to have a couple of weeks off selling and take the pressure off a bit...get out all your fabrics and have some fun  :dance:
cheer-you-up-hugs Lynne  :hug:

Board footer