Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Pages:
Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Dilu - yes.... I do.... but thats only if enough people come through the door.... advertising has gotten so expensive and venue rentals go up annually... yet artists complain if booth fees go up annually too.... and then they'll stop coming altogether. It's a catch 22!

It takes alot of strategic planning.... and other than direct mail as Luann has sited, no other advertising is guaranteed to bring anyone in.... it's all a huge risk noadays. And I always feel so awful and entirely responsible if people don't come through that door. There are so many other expenses that many don't even think about:

-venue rental (an easy $4000-5000 for a modest location around here! Then figure 30 artists paying a booth fee of $185... that's $5550. So already I've spent just about all the money I have coming in from artists... the rest has to come from collector's admission fee... and with the low number of attendees and discount coupons to get them to come that's not much money!)
-morning refreshments (I hear about it if artists don't get their coffee and donuts!)
-3000 postcards and 300 programs printed
-road signs pointing the way
-posters for businesses
-postage to mail postcards
-magazine ads (at $300 ea)
-newspaper ads (at $200 ea)
-table rentals (not all venues have enough 6 ft. tables for a show)
-table skirting rental
-cost of door prize tickets
-sign holders
-the door prizes
-goodies for the kids
-the welcome packets for the artists containing a page of info for the day, applications for future shows, etc. all in a large envelope... 30+ of them
-all the staff who help with the show (5-8 people) who are compensated with gift certificates and bought lunch by me
-name badges
-balloons to put outside the venue to attract attention
and on and on.....

So, all the booth fee money is spent long before the day of the show. And I don't pay myself a salary. Perhaps some will see things on that list they don't think are necessary but keep in mind my shows are "upscale shows" and I'm repeatedly praised for the lovely venue, special touches and quality of my shows which in turn has brought many wonderful artists who had never done a show in New England before. I'm not about to skimp on anything if I can help it! Yet am careful not to go overboard as it comes out of my pocket!

Am I doing it wrong? Is there a better way? One can only do so much and charge only so much for a table and expect artists to come. And attendance is low so door money is skimp. Income is limited. There is nothing left to pay the person who does all the work! Just a lot of satisfaction in seeing artists having a good time and those who do attend finding wonderful new bears to adopt. It's worth it.... but if I start loosing money I have to stop doing this. That is just another reason why we need more artists to participate...... and need to get creative in getting more collectors to come too!

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub I have read the entire thread and not once did I get the impression that this was looking down on internet sellers.  It is interesting about the shows slowing down.  Before becoming a bear maker, I was a crafter of all types and went to lots of shows and loved every minute of people contact.  The crafting business ended due to the allowing of vendor sellers to sell at handmade craft shows.  So people just wanted the already made items at low prices.  So all my crafts are in storage and now I make bears. I have only sold to family and friends, but intend to get going as soon as I retire from this full time job.  I like the idea about putting the magazines at different places and also at shows for free for others to get the message.  We must do all we can to keep the Bears alive along with the shows and also on line.  I myself could not afford to travel to far away shows, but will try the ones closer to home as soon as I am able.  I do love the people contact, wether you sell or do not sell, it is easier to sell your product to the person in front of you. and it is a sense of pride in doing it.
So all of us bear makers, artists, collectors, keep it going the way you know how and enjoy TT for what it is, a great forum for all to chat on and get to be friends in this wonderful world of bears.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Well, I certainly have new found respect for the logistics and the financial outlay that promoters go through while planning/ putting on a show.  It is a mind boggeling outlay financially but also the emotional/creative outlay, wear and tear on the psyche and body.

That being said, I want to applaud everyone here, for this is a hot topic, and yet everyone's sincerity is coming through, if we readers read all the posts all the way through.  I appreciate that many were concerned about posting, but it was a lively discussion and everyone's concerns are valid, questions answered.    It is appreciated that everyone has made an effort here to have a fair discussion.

It is also appreciated, by one who had no idea, what a tremendous amount of work must go into a show of any size, and Daphne, I think you must start a year ahead of time to get it all done, and even with a whole year, I dont know how you do it, but with exceptional organization.

Thank you everyone, for a brief education on the shows and what must be done to keep them alive, and the general health of the industry in general.

dilu

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

AS a show organiser, bear artist and magazine editor I can tell everyone that we are all in it for the love of the industry and there is very little money to be made by anyone over all. I agree with nearly everything that has been said (the positive bits that is and the cost bits......... bear_grin ) and I have one thought. It's not fully formed and may be shot down but I'll float it out there.

Is there possibly a way we can set up "buddy" system of artists.....for those of us who do feel comfortable doing shows....could we "swap" a bear or two of each others to take to shows. Now I do see that this could be expensive if it is across country borders and sea. BUT as an editor I know that many loyal collectors don't like buying without seeing bears.....many of us can't afford to travel to far away for shows and .......come collectors are getting bored with seeing the same artists time after time.........Therefore could we add interest by becoming "sister" artists (or sister/brother for Shane and Steve) Where we take each others bears and work out a way to transfer the money (maybe paypal) 

Or even if we help each other with costs of the tables .........just a thought and it needs to be thrashed out and maybe if artists are interested they can do so privately.

BUT the positives are -

Less stress to have a lot of bears - you have some from your sister artist
Maybe less expense if you both share the cost with each other.
For those who hates shows as they feel on display having another artists bears to hide behind as well could lessen the anxiety and stress.
More interest for the collectors to see more work - and so hopefully a show revival
More for the organiser to promote.

So just a idea and feel free to shoot me down as I can see lots of problems with the idea. - but there can be positives if we work slowly and honestly and are prepared to spend some time and money.

I see some problems being -  in that if I were to do this I would like work beside mine that I feel comfortable promoting and talking about.......so I would need to feel that I "know and respect" the artist as I have only "met" many of you over the internet this could be a problem.....what if a bear gets stolen form my table......or goes missing in the mail.....some months down the track after 4 shows it's clear that the bears won't sell in Australia what do I do with them....send them back. How will my sister artists feel about this? What if my "sister" artist hates my bears and wants tot send them back. What if she tells me that my bear is sold and the money doesn't turn up? Ok as I said there will be a lot of trust and honesty issues here....but.......I do think the promotional opportunities could be work it.     

So there are the pro's and con's as I see them........can we work them out and do we want to do this?

Ok I've put on my bullet proof vest!!!  bear_grin  bear_grin

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Great idea, Sandra! It might also be a good idea to consider "sistering up" with someone who's style is very different from your own.... makes it easier for collectors to distinguish the difference on your table and means less "competition" for one's own bears if the others they offer are completely different.

Thanks to the internet I think a lot of artists, new and , er, old have "met" fellow artists they've developed a sincere friendship with whom they could consider doing this with.

If anyone were to do this I would strongly recommend putting a written/signed agreement together between the two of you to save any disagreements or "issues" down the road. Business is business.... even in the furry world! bear_original

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

As a few of you have PM'd me on this subject I'll expand again here.

I wasn't talking about local artists sharing a table and I agree that can be the demise of shows I was talking about artists becoming "sisters" who would have no chance of making the shows. Such as overseas artists.

Yes it is similar to "international tables" and such but again different in that it takes the burden of a show organiser to provide someone to run the table and set up the table. An artist already attending the show will have maybe 2 to 3 bears of a "sister" artist on their table. I am not talking a full half table as such.......then the sister artist over seas goes to a show and displays their bears. You may or may not decide to assist each other with table costs as your are reciprocating in displaying and promoting each others bears. The cost of postage should be considered in the same light as advertising.

As I said this may or may not work for you but it is a way for your bears to be promoted in an area where you yourself my not travel and if done correctly should enhance a show not detract from it..........unless their was a major reason I usually discourage table sharing from artists who can easily travel to themselves.

bearhugs

SillySu Susie's Bears
California
Website

I LOVE this sister idea.  Sort of like a Foreign Exchange Bear program, unless you happen to be in the same country.  But...I like it.  I've been doing this for years anyway with a couple of my friends.  Some of them are great bear artists but due to health reasons or logistics problems they can't make it to the shows any more.  In fact, plenty of people have given up the business entirely for those same reasons. 

Good feedback from everyone and really interesting reading....where have I been and what have I been doing when I wasn't checking out TT????

bear_wacko

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

That's right Sue  there are a lot of reasons why bear artists can't make shows and a consistent "sister" friendship can help and as I said you have to do it carefully and with the right reasons.  I think Daphne's suggestion of a written agreement might be worth it.

Has anyone else done this.......if so what problems did you encounter and suggestions for making this work

bearhugs

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I did this probably 4-5 years ago.... with 3 artists from other countries. I had 3-5 bears from each artist and along with their bears prominently displayed at my booth I had a write up about each one and their business cards out. All 3 artists had very unique styles and all were/are very talented. Not one bear sold. And I took them to 3-4 shows. Many collectors asked me "well, which ones did YOU make?" There was something about buying directly from the artist that seemed important to them.

As far as an agreement... we had an emailed agreement... and they were responsible for all shipping costs, any that sold I kept a very small percentage of the selling price for my time and table space.

I thought folks would be excited to see bears from other parts of the world. I guess not. Or perhaps they would have if the artist had been there too.

As shows and thus selection get smaller and smaller, doing something like this might just prove successful now.

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

Also Daphne I think that ebay and other auction places such as bid 4 bears and others have opened other countries bears up to collectors. 8 years ago I  had a shop "The Teddy Bear Hug" where I only represented bear artists........part of the agreement in the shop was that I tool their bears to shows outside of their state. If it was in their state I didn't take their bears. Often collecotrs would not not buy the bear at the show but would look and buy from their webiste or ebay. The comment was that having seen their work and seeing the quality of finish etc they felt happier buying the unseen work.

I still feel that you need to get your work in front of collectors and get your name known and recognised. I would see te cost of postage as advertising and the return cost of my bears......honestly I don't know that I would expect to sell the 3 or 4 bears I sent, collectors do like to relate to an artist but to me you would have more chance than on ebay......but as an advertising jingle over here says ..........if you don't try you never ever know!!

bearhugs

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

I've read through these posts and noticed that some said they have difficulty finding shows and some said that part of their responsibilities as promoters is to get the word out.

I personally don't sell at shows.  I sell via the internet.  However I do believe there is room for both (and other) venues for selling in the bear world.  I try to do my part by promoting the bear shows on the Mini Teddy Hugs site.  We list as many bear shows around the world each month as we can find out about.  This is my way of trying to combine both the internet world and the "in fur" bear show world.

I hope this can help get the word out more about the shows and I hope it helps people find their way to the shows!

/bearhugs,

Pages:

Board footer