Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Hi  Rita ! I just saw your cute koala bear you made that is up for sale .

You said he is made from " long pile cashmere " from Intercal. I keep looking for that fur but do not see it listed.???

...............Winney

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Sorry ,its my mistake, must have been a Senior Moment. It was not Intercal at all.   Hugs Rita xx

Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Winney, Did you get the link I sent by e-mail. ?? Rita x

White City, Oregon

Hi Rita...Yes...a neat site for lots of the shorter furand its in the US !  Oh, and she wrote me back .

I am looking for some fur that well..looks kinda ratty....for RATS ! He, he...I have had these guys in my head for a few years..gotta make them. Actually, I have a piece of flattish fur looks like it may be Alpaca , mouse brown color...I got it from a trade. Trades are fun...I

I use to make tiny 5" mice out of cheap felt , I did not know about wool felt at the time.... dressed them to the "nines"...will be doing those little guys again after I revise the pattern.... I thought I may want the fur to look all wacked out for a truly gutterly scruffy look...so I may go with that matted fur only I don't want it curly..anyone got any suggestions ?

Tha mad rat maker...Winney

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

How about clear acrylic paint (I think such a thing is available), brushed on a little at a time and scruffed up as you go.  Maybe try it on a sample piece first.

White City, Oregon

What a riot of an idea...yes, its Clear Jel or Extender ... that's what it us to be called. ? ...wouldn't that make some wacko hairstyles with ?
I bought some thickish fur from an artists at a show a long time ago...it feels wooly to me, it has faint broad stripes in browns...Hmmmm. a mystery fiber, even she didn't know what it was..of course I just had to buy it anyway, can't stand a mystery you know...I knew this was a type of fiber that one day " may" be perfect for that certain critter...Then again I may take the sheers to it or the hot water, he,  he..
Ohnooooooo...here come the rats !..... Winney         ( Still need to find some horse hair)

Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Winney,  I dress little mice  some are calico and some are fur. I did them long before my mohair days, when I was a crafter. I did some last year for a bear shop and they all sold ,so yes ,there is a market for mice and rats out there. Hope to see your new creations soon!!!!. Hugs Rita

White City, Oregon

Oh Rita...I do dream a lot of all kinds of neat ideas to make up...more than I have time for in this lifetime but you know, If I'd get well and get on the ball I could make many of them come to life !  Gotta do those rats tho ! Winney

Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Winney,  Here is a piccie of one of my Calico Rats , all dressed up and now-where to go. He He Hugs Rita xx

Mr%20Sniffy%202.JPG

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Rita, that rat is TOO CUTE!  I love his little herringbone attire.  Very nice!!

Ayrshire, Scotland.

Thanks Shelli, He wears Dungarees and matching scarf and he also wears a little grey shirt..Hugs Rita x

White City, Oregon

Rita !...Cute...he has got an endearing expression....I don't have any mice left over to show beside I need to revamp that pattern ...yet another project to work on...Winney

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What a handsome rat, Rita!!  Love his slightly mischievous look, too.  Great work!!  bear_laugh

Ayrshire, Scotland.

Thanks Sue Ann, I actually did a whole little family off them, and they sold so quickly,but were a little bit fiddly to make,if I had not enjoyed doing them,it would not have been a worthwhile project financially. Scottish Hugs Rita x

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Love the rat, Rita--what an elegant little cutie!! What do you use for the tail and whiskers?

Eileen

Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Eileen,
                    I used fine silk cord for the tail and black fishing gut for his whiskers. Isn't it amazing how even as bear-makers we can all make use of things . Hugs Rita x

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Awww!  He IS adorable!  Love the outfit!!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

It certainly is amazing what uses we can find for things, Rita!! I've forbidden ANYONE to toss out bags or shoes until I've checked the condition of the leather. And I've confiscated all mateless earrings from the daughters'  jewellry boxes. 

You never know . . .

Winney--the best source of horsehair I've found is  www.tandyleather.com
You can buy a 4 oz. hank for about $US and the selection includes white, which is usually much more expensive than black or brown. In my spare time bear_grin I'm making a rocking horse!

Eileen

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Sorry, make that $15 US bear_rolleyes

White City, Oregon

Ouch ! That's sort of expensive for the ole horse hair...I have a son that is a pro. horse trainer ..you think he would send me some ??? I have asked several times.My neice just sold all her horses... Winney

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Cute rat, Rita!

I can see how it could be 'fiddly', but when I make 'fiddly' pieces, the collectors seem to like them a lot.  I have been thinking about rats for a few years now.  Some day I will get down to actually making some.  In my interpretation, they will be somewhat seedy characters, as my memories of rats include my son's pet ones pulling the curtains into their cage and chewing them up!!

Hugs,

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

HA!!  Laure, that's toooo funny . . . the rat story!  Seedy, indeed!!  bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

White City, Oregon

That's funny Laura, I just love animals ....Winney

Board footer