Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

clare14 Country Bears
England

I've been selling some non bear related stuff on ebay.  I listed an item with a 99p start or BIN of a higher price.  I had a lady contact me asking what condition it was in to which I replied, truthfully, it was in great condition and was  fully operational.   She then bid 99p, then sent another message saying she would have bought it now if it had been cheaper (the item was listed cheap enough!!) - to which I didn't respond and thought I'd let her get on with it!!  Next morning, I noticed the item had sold...she had retracted her bid and bought it on the BIN.  So I contacted her and thanked her and told her when it would be sent, which was that day.  She has since received it and contacted me to say the item is damaged, broken and doesn't work properly (damage which IMO wouldn't have been caused by a rough postal service, the item was suitably and securely packed, but you never know).

What would you do now?  My thought was to ask her to return it, I could refund the money, but then I'm left with a broken item that isn't my fault, and no money!!  The item was sent insured, but I can't see how it obtained the damage she states through the post in fairness, do you think she's trying it on?  (I am using a new ebay account so my feedback score isn't as much as my others) but I had that 'feeling' that she was going to be a pain from the start, IYKWIM!! 

I think this is where ebay fails the sellers.   I am an honest seller, but could lose my feedback rating and everything through something like this and it's not my fault.

Any advice appreciated.   bear_original

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

Has she actually indicated what she is after...partial or full refund. Also the damage she is claiming would or should it have been visible on your photos?  Otherwise just go with the postal insurance .........it may not seem fair to the Postal service but is fair to both of you. It really is a hard one to call.

edspencer tEDDIE bears
Wichita, Ks.
clare14 wrote:

I think this is where ebay fails the sellers.   I am an honest seller, but could lose my feedback rating and everything through something like this and it's not my fault.

Any advice appreciated.   :)

Hi -

I am going thru the same issue with eBay right now.  I sold a bear with 7 bids for a very nominal selling price of $263.  Within 12 hours of the auction end, I got an email through eBay that due to family emergency they can't pay for the item.  I checked their feedback and they have purchased bears in the last 2 months for $1200 to $1500 each, from another seller.  It seems strange that they did not retract their bid when they found out about the emergency. 

I won't do 2nd chance offers as they are risky and relisting due to scamming bidders reflects directly on my reputation.  If I mutually end the dispute, this bidder has the opportunity to leave negative feedback and I can do nothing about her feedback as a buyer.  eBay has certainly created a "buyers" market and left the sellers hanging out to dry.  I wish better results could be achieved in other auction sites like Teddy Patch and not use eBay. 

Has anyone else had similar experience?  How was it handled? 

Ed

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

It's not worth the trouble really. Or the shipping expense. Tell her you will send her back the money and to keep the item as a gesture of your good faith. Than drop it...That is what I would do. That way your e-bay rating should be fine.

ciderantiques Ciderantiques and Old Soul Bears
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Hi Clare,

I think she sounds like she wants the item for free.  I have had a few issues where I thought people were not on the up and up.  I would ask for photos of the damage.   More often than not the photos do not appear.   Given ebay's new feedback rules I would pay her off (50%) to get rid of her.  Hopefully she won't neg you.   It is  likely worth a couple of dollars to make her go away and keep your good feedback. Then add her to your blocked bidder list so she can never buy from you again.

Hi Ed,  I would file a non-paying bidder alert so you can get your final value fee back and add the person to your blocked bidder list.  I do use Second Chance offers  bear_original .  I have had good luck with them, as a seller.  I email the buyer to let them know it is coming, and why.   I advise them to check their emails in "my ebay" to see that it is real.   I think they are a good option if you are happy with the second bid price.   I find re-listing lowers the price.  I would give the second chance a try.  They are safer now, if done directly through ebay.   Buyers can figure this out  bear_thumb

Hope that helps!  Karen  :hug:

clare14 Country Bears
England

Trouble is it's not an item that was worth a couple of dollars, I'm talking $100 - I would definitely want it back if I gave her her money back.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Clare wrote: Trouble is it's not an item that was worth a couple of dollars, I'm talking $100 - I would definitely want it back if I gave her her money back

Oh Clare!! I thought you men't it was 99 pence (UK currency) which would only be a couple of dollars!! Oh my that shows you what I know bear_shocked ....Yes, in this case, get your item back and give her back her money.

lulubears Posts: 280

Clare, I may be wrong, but I think that, according to e-Bay rules, the only reason you can retract your bid is if you put in the incorrect amount.  I realize it's too late to do anything about that now, but it sounds like she wants the item and her money too.  It might not hurt to see if you can contact e-Bay and see if they might be able to help you out.

Everything I've ever read about e-Bay transactions is to NEVER give partial refunds - especially if insurance is involved.  Put the monkey on her back and make her file a claim with the postal system.  If it goes back through e-Bay or Paypal (if that's how she paid for it), she will be required to return the item to you before she gets her money back.

Luann

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Oh Clare!! I thought you meant it was 99 pence (UK currency) which would only be a couple of dollars!!

I thought the same thing !  Sorry.   

make her file a claim with the postal system.

In Canada only the sender can file the claim.  It may be the same with Clare. 

I would ask her to photograph the damage and email the pictures, to see if it is as bad as she is describing.  Ask her to photograph the box too!  If the box is fine, then you know something is not quite right.

You could offer a partial refund  (most sellers don't refund shipping costs, so maybe the buyer would rather have a few dollars off and avoid spending more money to ship it back).   

You could follow-up with the post office for a refund as well (you mentioned the item was insured).    I would try and work it out before she issues a paypal chargeback (you could have all $100 removed from your paypal account, if she wins the chargeback).  Those really sting!

FYI ~ check your local postal rules on insurance.  eg. ~ Canadapost only insures for loss, not for damages  bear_ermm

~ Karen

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Don't do it, you paid for the insurance make her file a claim. I have had this happen with antique glass coffee pots that I collect and sell. Do not give a refund, that is what the insurance is for. make her file the claim if that is what she is after, be as nice as you can but stick to the insurance claim. If you mailed it in great condition and you packed it properly that means either she is crooked ( assuming from her initial emails) or the post damaged it and it is thier responsibility. I had one send me a damaged package obvioulsy from the post, I returned it the seller filed the claim kept my payment and the insurance and never refunded my money.
As they said put the monkey on her back. Just be really nice about it politely tell her it is your policy that she file the claim with the Post because the damage happened after it left your hands and that is what the insurance is purchased .
hUGS, KATHY

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I agree with Kathy, I think it should go through the insurance.  It sounds to me like she is trying to get the product for nothing.  I would also request to see photo's of the damage and of the box.  I can guarantee you that there is no damage.  But I will also guarantee you that if she paid by paypal she will go to them and they will instantly refund her the money and you will be out.  Paypal always sides with the buyer and they always refund the money, so one way or another you will most likely be out the sale and the money. 

sorry

Shane

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Filing an insurance claim... I agree that's how it should be handled. That's the whole point to purchasing ins.!! And yes, ask her for photos. I doubt you'll ever get any though cuz there is no truth to her story.  I'm sorry you are having to deal with this.

I'm concerned that with the new eBay rules more creeps are going to be giving sellers a hard time and there's nothing sellers can do about it. Wonder how long it'll be before eBay has to start BEGGING for new sellers...... it'll be a while but if they don't ammend some of their new policies it will happen eventually.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Clare,
     I am so sorry this has happened to you, but Ebay has enabled buyers to do this.  Not all buyere are fraudulent - just a small portion, but that's all it takes.  I'd absolutely insist on pictures cuz I'm sure you won't get them!  I'd try and chat with an ebay live person about the situation and her cancelling her bid and using BIN.   
     I've been so lucky with my customers, but the new seller rules have really put me off.  I haven't sold on Ebay since the changes came into affect.  Daphne's right - sooner or later Ebay will definitely suffer.

hugs,

Brenda

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

I just bought something through e-bay which was "not as described" and lodged a claim with paypal.......in the meantime they have deregistered the seller.....so he was obviously fraudulent........but paypal have still stated that they will not refind my money until the item is returned to the seller by registered mail........which will cost almost as much for me as the item......so yep I'm the one out of pocket not the fraudulent seller and not the paypal!!!

So if she does got to paypal she will have to return your item with a tracking number before they refund

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

Hi Clare,
Go the insurance route!!  As the sender, I think you will have to file the claim, so ask for photos AND pictures of the packaging - you might even have to send that back to the post office.  Aks her if the box was damaged when she received it - did the postman draw her attention to any damage of the packaging?
This happened to me once, although I was the buyer:  I bought a canteen of cutlery and the guy didn't really pack the box very well. As a consequence, there was a big dent in the box when it arrived, although the cutlery was fine.  Fortunately, we were able to sort it out amicably and I was able to get a partial refund from his insurance...  It sounds like your lady is just trying it on though, so make her jump through a few hoops to see how serious she is!
Good luck,
Christine

clare14 Country Bears
England
The Lonely Artist wrote:

Generally I think this is a taste of things to come where by honest ebayers are going to be the ones to loose out. Just my humble opinion.

And mine too Christine.  Sorry you're having problems too  bear_sad

I think it's really bad, buyers could do this all the time and get away with never buying anything!! The sellers don't have a leg to stand on.  In this case I have asked for my item back (funnily enough in her next message she states it still works [even though it's apparantly smashed to smitherines] so she asked for some compensation as it was damaged - dream on my friend, I'll have my item back instead)  But of course she could now smash it to bits before she sends it!!  You know when you get a gut feeling that someone is trying it on...??! I'm REALLY put off selling now. 

I will see what the item is like when I receive it and proceed from there!!  Thanks for all your help everyone, I really appreciate it!!   :hug:  :hug:

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

If the item really was damaged I am very surprised that she wouldn't have sent you photos showing the damage along with her complaint!
I have had this happen - a non-bear item that I thought I had packaged well got a bit squashed in the shipping and the buyer was pretty upset and sent me photos. I immediately apologized and told her I would send her a full refund. Her tone totally changed and she said she still wanted to keep the item, and even bought some more things from me after that, when she realized that I was willing to stand behind it and that it wasn't really my fault that  it was slightly damaged but the post office's - although it was a good lesson to me in taking a few extra steps to ensure the packing could stand up to the rough treatment some packages get from the post office!

I also have had some incidents as a buyer where items that were stated to be in perfect shape came cracked or chipped. I knew they could not have been damaged in the shipping and was pretty upset that the sellers hadn't mentioned the damage - especially as I had emailed them ahead of time asking that they double check for me that there was NO damage. I sent photos in all cases clearly showing the damage to the items and it was obvious by where the damage was that it couldn't have happened in shipping - and in the case of the chip there was no missing piece in the wrapping. In two instances I returned the items for refunds - one gave the postage costs back as well, the other one I had to pay the return postage. In the third, the seller offered me a partial refund which I accepted as it would have been expensive to ship back and with the refund I felt the price I had paid, even with the damage, was then fair. It can be a tricky situation for sure as when the buyer and seller do not know each other it is difficult for them to know the truth of the situation.

But of course she could now smash it to bits before she sends it!!

Yes, I would worry about that too Clare as she can't send it back to you if it really isn't damaged at all as that will show that she was trying to scam you. But since you have asked to have it back then she has no choice but to return it or to say that she has decided she wants to keep it if is something that she does really want and was just trying to get some money out of you (which sounds likely when she first said she didn't want to pay your asking price!) I sure hope it all works out well for you!

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

you paid for the insurance make her file a claim

I really think in most countries only the sender can file the claim.  The up-side of this rule, is it prevents the buyer from keeping the item and getting the refund.

My lovely postal system only insures for loss, not damage.  I double box breakables for that reason.     

I hope your local "rules" for insurance claims are more helpful to the sender.  Karen

clare14 Country Bears
England

Ok, sorry I'm back about this again....   bear_whistle

So following on....

The lady emailed me to ask if I had a returns policy or could offer her some compensation (what a surprise)  bear_rolleyes , so I immediately emailed back saying for her to return the item and I'll refund her, simple.  I've not heard from her to say whether she is or isn't or what she's doing, and I haven't received it either, should I contact her to ask what she's doing, or leave it...??

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Clare,
     I'd leave it.  Just make sure you keep all your emails to show Ebay if there is any kind of fuss - there should be a copy in your sent file, if you have been emailing through Ebay.   You responded promptly to her request - now it's up to her to follow through.  My guess is she won't.  She obviously wanted the item but was trying to get a further discount.

hugs,

Brenda

Board footer