Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

FrizzyBear New York

I'm not ready for this yet but any tips on naming your teddy bear business?  I've thought of probably 30 names and Googled them with different combinations and find something similar (or a bear with that name by a national company) almost every time.  Help!

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Good luck with your name.  When I started my online business a couple of years ago, I tried to get several names and they were all taken.  I make other things besides bears, but mainly bears and I had to end up with a name I am not very fond of but at this point everyone knows it so it will stay.  I have used the online name for many years in my business but I wanted something cuter for my website.  Hope you find a name that you like for a long time.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

You can always use your own name.

I might have trouble with a name like "Huggy Bears" but "Randy's Huggy Bears" will probably be okay.
It should also get you clear on fictitious name registration too.  If you tried to start a business named "Huggy Bears" you might have to register it as a fictitious name.  (Depending on local laws.)  Putting your own name on the business makes it easier.

Also, go to any site that registers domain names (GoDaddy.com for instance) and check to see if your ideas are already registered to somebody else.  That way, once you finally do pick a name you won't have to spend a lot of time picking a domain name that goes along with your business name.

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

I thought about what I wanted to make - something distinctive, unique with a certain sense of style - seeing as my little sister inspires me so much - she has a very distinct sense of style, We always tease her by calling her Emo Girl - Hence, Emo Bears.... :crackup: I like modern funky bears - but not too extreme so my name needed to reflect that.
Someone does own Emobears.com - but doesn't use it for anything, I have seen 1 illistration of an Emo Care Bear - other than that, turned out by idea was pretty unique!
So I think you need to think about what kind of bears you want to make, modern, traditional, for children or for adults and let that guide you. I do like traditional style teddies but I think the best bear artists have a distinct 'flavour' to their work, mine is definitley modern.

susiray Bear-Hands
Algarve, Portugal

hi jeanne how about thinking for something personal to you...... nickname, parents or grandparents etc. maybe divide them and re-arrange them.
just athought.
you can always add bears or teddys to this. ie MOLLYTWINKLETEDS

hope that helps and gets the brain thinking

susan of bear-hands

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

I used my doggies name for my website.....she is in heaven now so it is a lovely reminder of her for me...

FrizzyBear New York

Thank you all!  Great advice.  How sweet that you used your doggie's name as a memorial of her.

I believe when I'm ready I'll think of something fitting and I hope it's something that will be likable and appropriate for some time.  bear_happy  I didn't think of the domain idea.  This will help a lot, too.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I found my name while driving around the area where I live, and I saw a road named Desertmountain Rd.  Perfect, Phoenix is in the desert, and is in a valley, surrounded by mountains.  Look everywhere, you may find a name that is perfect for you.
Joanne

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Jeanne, a few years ago we discussed this very topic and one of our former advisors and a very talented atists and business woman, Shelli Heinemann of Potbelly Bears shared the following that I know many found very useful. It's worth sharing again:

I have no expertise in branding personally but I do have a bestest friend who's screamingly intelligent and successful, and who's a branding expert and professional.  When I went about deciding on business names for my own bear business she gave me these pointers (which I've shared here before and which Gail is referencing.)  She said that these things would help create an IDEAL name but of course we can look at corporations like APPLE or KLEENEX or Q-TIP and see quite clearly that while they have HUGE brand-name recognition on their side, they don't follow these rules (below) at all!  So remember it's not "one size fits all;" these are just my friend Andrea's guidelines (interesting coincidence of name!) for business naming.

Anyway, here goes.

==========================================================

1.)  Since we live in an online world, be sure your business name can be translated easily and exactly into a domain name that is available for purchase.  You'll likely want an online presence and a website that differs in name from your business moniker can confuse your customers.

2.)  Choose a name that's easy to spell and is preferably less than ten letters.  Unusual spellings confuse buyers; they might not think to use a "z" instead of an "s" in the word "BEARZ" because the word is actually spelled "BEARS," so "BEARS" with an "s" will be your customer's intuition when he/she is looking for you.  And people tend NOT to persist in searches; they try once or so and then give up.  That's the same reason you want your website to load quickly.  Because people won't wait for your technological twinklies to load!

3.)  Choose a name that's somehow related to the product you're offering for sale.  It's easier to remember, for example, the name "Fuzzy Bears" than it is to remember "Orchard Breeze Bears" because the former relates to the product and the latter does not.

==========================================================

When I was starting out I wanted to name my company SHELLIBELLI BEARS.  I liked the idea of big tummied bears and how the word "belly" rhymed with my name -- a name which, you'll notice, has an unusual spelling.

I can't tell you how happy I am that I went with POTBELLY BEARS instead, after Andrea told me all the reasons (most of them cited above) that SHELLIBELLI was less than ideal.  I think it helps even more that my business name is a compound word:  POT and BELLY, making it even that much easier to recognize.  I can't verify any of this scientifically; it's just a gut feeling I have that the name of my business has helped my business.

Anyhoos... I hope this helps, remember that if your name does NOT follow these guidelines, it doesn't mean you're doomed to failure!  Andrea's thinking is just that, if you have the opportunity to do so, why not stack the deck in your favor in every possible way?

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Hi Jeanne, I played with my name for about 2 months, various versions with my surname. As this is Pemblington, which is long it didn't work at all. Like Joanne, my location gave me the starting point. I was nearly Fenland Bears but we have a local factory called Fenland foods  :crackup: so I ditched that

Daphne, that is interesting, I am not sure my name agrees with any of the points. I didn't check online availability, my B in the middle is a capitol and I am not sure if my name is easily memorable  bear_wacko

BUT isn't Orchard Breeze Bears nicer sounding than Fuzzy Bears........................sorry if you are called Fuzzy bears, nothing wrong with it but Orchard Breeze conjures up apple blossom, sunny, windy days, hazy days, autumn...............etc

SillySu Susie's Bears
California
Website

My Aunt Marge had a printing business.  When I decided I was going to start a real business making bears, she decided to surprise me and made business cards for me.  A LOT of business cards, so she actually named my business Susie's Bears.  It isn't what I would have picked.  But hey, I have a thousand business cards printed with all my information so what was I to do?  Good luck with picking something much more memorable!!

Seraphim Seraphim Bears
Belleville
Website

When I was starting out I had a very successful artist and business person tell me to change my "Seraphim's Attic" name to my own name. She explained to me that you need to brand yourself and with success that your bears will become synonymous with you. You want people to get to know your name, and then once you find your style your bears will automatically be known as a Michele Seraphim for instance. I love all the cute names but can honestly say I often have no idea who the artist is and that is a bit sad really! I use only my first and middle name and leave my last name out myself but that is because I have a very different middle name. Also if your style changes or you start another art like dolls you will have established YOUR name already and will not have to go through the finding a name that incorporates your new art. Take a look at the really established artist.... they all use their name as the name of their business! That is my take on this issue, hope it helps.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Great suggestion, Michele.... unless you have a really weird name like I do that no one can spell... they'd never get the web address right! :crackup: I could list 100 different ways people have tried to spell Daphne! :doh:

tindlebears Tindle Bears
Xenia, ohio

My son mispronounced teddybear when calling for his "tindle Bear" I liked it so it stuck.

FrizzyBear New York

Thank you, everyone for the excellent points to ponder!  It's all very helpful.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Hi Michele--we were neighbors at the Toronto show!

I love your suggestion, but must confess that I used Baird'sBears because I couldn't think of anything else!

Seraphim Seraphim Bears
Belleville
Website

Hi Eileen

Baird'sBears is great! What's wrong with that?

Also, to everyone, don't get me wrong, I LOVE little kitchy names! It was just explained to me that your name could not be beat.

Hi Daphne, what about your last name and middle name... or could you do something fun with your first name that would simplify it and would work with your bears? Daft Bears doesn't work for me though hahahaha but maybe something else, your initials? Anyway, like I said, the bear names that are kitchy are sweet also... Good Luck~

Laurie Brady Bears By Laurie Brady

I have to agree with Michele.

Let me tell you a story about a business name.
Many years age (in a previous life) I purchased a dog grooming business from a freind.  The business was quite profitable so,  I did not want to change it's name, as I would already be changing it's location.  Let me tell you - I had to defend that name at every confrence/workshop I attended.  "As long as the customers keep comming..." I would have to say to all the smirking faces. I always cringed when I had to go to the local vets to deposit my little pile of business cards.
The business was named after the working conditions/facility.  It was in an unventilated upper level of a feed store.  A very "HOT SPOT".   My freind didn't think about the name's other meaning and went ahead in ordering business cards.  BIG MISTAKE!   For those who  might not know what a "hot spot" is -  it's a very ugly, fleshy, wet, heat rash that dogs get.

Live and learn.

Laurie

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Laurie--What a wonderful story!  :crackup:

I know exactly what hot spots are, since my Border Collie Bear gets them every year.

But so long as the customers keep coming, who cares what the experts think?

Laurie Brady Bears By Laurie Brady

Yes.... grooming was a blast.  I learned a lot from that business.  Not only was I more aware of the "don'ts" of naming a business, I'm actually pretty handy with the clipping and scissoring my bears!
Never a wasted experience.
Laurie

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Michele - I've been very active with the biz name of Back Road Bears for 9 yrs now.... I'm good w/the name... would be a lot of work to change the name and retrain collectors! I was simply saying that using your name is great but if it's tricky to spell and you plan to have an internet presence/website address, people might have a hard time finding you if they can't spell it. Yes, a knick name or variation of one's name might work.

Funny though, the artists I admire most and who are extremely successful haven't used their names in their bear business name at all! Yet I'd never forget it, the artists themselves or their work!
bear_original

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website

My name came about because the private road I lived on got the name Dog Patch Lane because I was a dog breeder. I was doing craft shows, making all kinds of critters. It is actually a good thing I didn't use my name because my last name has changed several times since then :redface: My current last name is never pronounced correctly....Dontigney = dot nee.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Nancy, thank you for clearning that up for me!!! Every time I say or think your last name I come up with something different. Now that I've seen your alternative spelling I won't forget it!  bear_thumb

lostbears Lost bears
Moscow

The name of my business came to me by himself  bear_original while I was looking at my atavar bear (he became 1st under this name, before I had been making 'other' bears under Smaga Lena-it's my real name) I know that usually some people (as I :redface:  ) don't remember names and first names, so it's better find something clear and loud. 
Soorrry for my Englishhhh :redface:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Hi Lena,

I love the name 'lostbears'--it's really perfect for your vintage style!

Board footer