Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

PS  Whew!  Yes, I'm a windbag.  That one took even more space than my usual lengthy bs'ing can match.  My apologies.

bear_tongue  bear_whistle  bear_innocent  bear_noexpression  bear_original  bear_grin  bear_rolleyes

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:pray: Thank you Shelli!!!!!  :clap:  :clap:   I honestly didn't mean for this to become some sort of warring tribal thing.... I just wanted to know what people's favorite mohairs were, and why since I'm totally new to mohair.

I've learned SO MUCH from this thread, though.  Especially from seeing the different curly/matted/dense/sparse bears made by so many here.  And the extra links that Dilu's given me on care and feeding  bear_tongue , and even reminding me of the article in the teddy magazine...they've all added up to my education. 

At the end of the day, I don't want to change anyone's preferences ...I just wanted to know what people favored   :hug:

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Debbie... the selection of different styles can be absolutely overwhelming, can't it!?   bear_wacko  I think that you have absolutely the right idea though.. it's really best to get your hands on some samples and touch and feel.... see what might work best for the various looks you are trying to achieve....

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Shelli..Amen ! You have hit the nail on the head.  This is a very subjective not objective topic.

What's the "best" fabric for stitching up a bit of [INVALID] lingerie? 

I'd say, probably NOT burlap.  Probably NOT unbleached muslin.  Something more like silk, or satin, or silk satin, would probably be the "best" for this purpose.  Who wants to make out with a flour sack, anyway???

..now as a famer's wife I think burlap would fit the bill just fine. bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

........JUST KIDDING!

!!!

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Debbie,
If you are anywhere close to Kansas City there is a bear convention in July.  If you can make it to that show there should be mohair suppliers there for you to see and touch the different mohairs.  That is the best way in my opinion to learn about the different mohairs.  The samples just can't give you a large picture of how some of the swirls etc. will look on a completed bear.   Of course, when you can touch the mohair is when I get in trouble with the old credit card.
Donna

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I have only gotten mohair from ebay and the only ones that have the actual brands tacked on were Shulte, I am not sure what the other "brands" or who the suppliers of these mohair were.... I got a matted black mohair in this bunch and I dont like it at all, but again, that is my preference... some people love it, I just prefer other types... and it was ALL great mohair (I wish it all had supplier, brand and item numbers on it so I could easily reorder LOL)... i dont really have a PREFERENCE yet and I love any mohair but especially pulsh full mohairs, regardless of where it comes from.... I dont need big pieces, just small becuase my bears arent big and I would rather have a lot of little pieces than a few big ones... I like variety, makes my imagination run wild! 

And as Shelli said, and as has been said on other topics, it is all what works for you... No one ever said you cant have a panda bear that is pink with purple polkadots... LOL.... I just know that when my ebay mohair stash runs out, I will be checking out Intercal's end piece or small piece section (I look at it almost weekly trying to narrow down what I want LOL)... I will be buying a prepack when it isnt sparse mohair... as I dont think my bears look right with sparse and I like the more "plush" mohair.... bear_original 

Anywho.... I would say it is all up to preference, what kind of bear you are making (modern or antique), what look you want to achieve and what color you want to use.... that was the main reason I wanted to get this bunch of mohair on ebay because it had a variety of types, colors, lengths so I can figure out what types I like and it didnt cost me an arm and a leg bear_original 

I think what it comes down to is experimenting bear_original and having LOTSA FUN doing it!!!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oooh, Kim, you're gonna love this week's pre-pak . . . it's KID mohair!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Donna wrote:

Thanks for thinking that I am an Edinburgh advisor but trust me I am not.  I would never feel that I have enough knowledge to come close to filling that position.

Donna, just wanted to tell people, publicly, that you've been my single greatest show/practical stuff resource since I started in this field, always ready with a funny email and some helpful advice, spoken in no-nonsense style and with the wish to truly help.  You've also got connections and experience all over the west coast (at a minimum!) when it comes to personal relationships with other artists, promoters, and show venues.

If YOU don't have enough knowledge to come close to being an advisor, at Edinburgh or anywhere, I don't know who does!

Hugs,

Dilu Posts: 8,574

:clap:  :clap:  Well said Shelli!  Thank you.  I think I can whole heartedly agree with everything you have said.  :clap:  :clap:

And Miss Debbie D who started this thought provoking enquirey.....good for you questions are important. 

For every one who asks a question there are 4 or 5 lurkers who are wondering the same thing.but are too shy to ask....and the rest of us, who have been at it fractionally longer than you, are still learning too.

Exchange of ideas is the only way to learn.

I hope you will enjoy trying all sorts of fabrics for your bears,

Some one help me, who made the adorable bear from tapestry?  That bear was wonderful.....I'm thinking Daphne?  The one that was getting ready to go traveling?

I'm sure someone remembers....

dilu

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania
SueAnn wrote:

Oooh, Kim, you're gonna love this week's pre-pak . . . it's KID mohair!!

Oh no!!!  bear_shocked I was hoping it would be another month until that happened... I'll have to talk to, nah, beg my hubby LOL  bear_innocent .... I dont know if it will work though LOL...I LOVE LOVE LOVE kid mohair!!!!!  bear_wub

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

just wanted to say you can buy the rings in several sizes in the stationary stores that just unclip..they fold together kinda.we use them to hold our prints up at work..they are like the ones in the binders w/o that nasty SNAP they do! are they shower curtain rings? i forget..but they are cheap and they should know what you want when you describe them!  deb   i love intercal and edinburgh both for different things!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

You are like me, Gina, I buy whatever is a good deal - which is why I pretty much always try ebay... one day when I am rich and famous, I will buy from a supplier instead of ebay - in time bear_original

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_laugh Well I've tried Schulte now, and Hemboldt...and I've got a serious respect for all you gals who sew with mohair!  Its so different from real fur...and I have to admit, I'm a bit of a wimp with it  bear_grin  I do have to wonder if my hands are allergic to it, much like the faux/synthetic furs  bear_cry   It would be a pity, as there's so much more needlesculpting that the fabric can take.... Ah well, perhaps facial inserts into real fur.... hmmmmmm...

I did manage to get the prepack of Hemboldt from Intercal...and have learned about Fray check  bear_whistle   bear_grin  but I have yet to finish a full bear...I'm still in the process of sewing sewing sewing. 

I do want to thank each of you for taking the time to reply...  :hug: Its certainly been a learning experience!  bear_flower

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Good for you Darlin Debbie D, there's nothing to be gained from
being afraid of a technique or a fabric or a style .....like life, its all one big adventure!

:hug:

dilu

Twisted.Whiskers Posts: 5

In Singapore, when I first started making bears there was only Schulte mohair. So I loved it.  My first experience with Helmbold was with bearycheap (AU)   It felt limp and the backing was course.  Didn't like it at all.  Funny thing is when I tried other Helmbold from Intercal, the quality seems to be better.   Shipping from AU to SG is not really cheaper than shipping from US to SG, even though AU is so much nearer.  I really love Intercal's weekly pre-paks special and find it terribly hard to resist....  but have to, no more storage space under my bed!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Debbie & everyone

Debbie, I understand you get "LOST" when you find out there is
so many different mohair and alpaca out there ! bear_laugh
I love all 3brands....

I think Shelli said all already  :clap:  and one thing
I wanted to say that
I love NORTON's mohair so much.   bear_wub
I know NORTON is not making new mohair anymore because
they closed.  bear_cry  :: 
I think I can drink a 1bottle of wine for this.(even I don't usually drink)
Ok so,
Dilu and Sue-Ann when you are visiting me
let's drink together and talk about Norton all night. bear_laugh  :hug: 
Anyone else is welcome too........sorry that I carried away....

Debbie,  I think I was too late to join here
but I'm glad you picked up mohairs!
Please don't forgot to show us the new mohair bear. bear_grin   

Hugs/Marie

Board footer