Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania
kathytaylor wrote:
kbonsall wrote:

Kathy- I'm not being smart... do you like coffee?

Like it, If you could get it intraveniously I would just be hooked up all the time!!! bear_grin  bear_grin
I love all coffees, expresso, cappuccino, lattes you name it I'll drink it. I even love Iced coffee.
That is how the collection started , I can't stand drip coffee machines so I was looking for an old fashioned percolator. bear_tongue  Next thing you know I am buying all these cool antique ones.
Love,
Kathy

HA HA!!!  I like cappuccino every once in a while but it has to have A LOT of cream and sugar!!! I also love coffee yogurt and ice cream YUM!!! I dont drink much caffine, it makes my heart beat too fast.. I feel like a humming bird! I can have one caffinated drink a day and I am fine  bear_original   

I also am a ribbon and embellishment collector and I am starting a mohair and synthetic collection... It seems that every time I go to Michaels or AcMoore or joann's I get more ribbon  bear_wacko   I HAVE SOOO MUCH!!! and glass beads! I have boxes and boxes of them (ya know, the plastic divided ones)... I think I have about 6 of them FILLED with different beads!

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

My passion is collecting Bone China Miniture Animals. I got my first ones, a family of Alligators, on my first visit to Florida at age 10 or so. Since then, I have collected most everyone that was made. I have dragons, birds, bears, lions...........I received a curio cabinet to put them in, then 2 years ago, my husband gave me 2 more glass shelves.......still not enough room. They are not found anymore (at least around me) so every once in a while I scour ebay for them.........I also have my collection of stuffed animals, of all kinds, but they really have to speak to me in the store (or be given to me) I have my very own "Tree of Stuffed Critters" in our bedroom.... makes hubby nervous having so many eyes watching......... :redface:  bear_grin

Oh.....real live things.......I love cactus! I have a collection of them. They are in the house through the winter, when it turns warm (for all of 2 months) they go outside. This year, 1 is too big to be moved, so it will be inside all the time!  I have Barrel Cactus, Pear Cactus and one I don't know what it is............

:hug: Ellen

Matthea Ontario

I have a huge collecting personality. I feel sorry for my husband since our condo is filled with boxes of my stuff. He isn't a collector so much, but he has joined my in a collecting few ventures.
Here are some of my collections:

Harry Potter cards (the one with costume or prop bits in them)

Everything Alice in Wonderland since I was 4 years old. 

Christmas decorations as mementos when we go on vacation.

Canadian raver/urban streetwear clothing. I love the design of the clothing, very functional, asymetrical, great materials. Since the whole rave thing died out, so did the fashion so I watch ebay like a hawk for my favorite designers. My husband has 8 pairs of pants, all the same style. Some are begining to wear out, so we'll eventually have to take them to a taylor and see if they can replicate then. I don't really touch my clothes, to my it's a collection. Weird huh?!

We've collected disney pins from all our vacations.

MAC cosmetics. I have a huge collection of colours I don't use. I'm like a crow with pretty shiney things; take it home, put it in my nest and stare at it.

My main love I'd have to say is The Last Unicorn cels. We only have one, but one day we hope to have more. They are so expensive I need to save up for them when ever one pops up for sale. The movie is so special to me I love owning a little piece of it.

I think I need to par down my my collections after seeing everything I've typed! Yikes!

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Well, as long as we are admitting to our collecting tendencies... I am a Lewis Carroll fanatic... to the point that it actually determined the home we recently bought... it has a small library with built in shelves for my books... and a 5th bedroom upstairs that is supposed to my studio, but 1/2 of it is a huge wall of moving boxes that houses my sadly still boxed up Alice stuff.  I have over 500 copies of Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass, all different editions, illustrators, languages, plus nearly every book that has been published about his life, or about the books themselves, I even have a copy of his will.... I have 30 dolls, stickers, tea pots, postcards, plates, clothing, all the stuff Disney ever made.  I even have an original of an exam that he graded when he was a professor at Oxford... I am utterly and completely obsessed.   

Brenda... I LOVE Arthur Rackham too... aside from John Tenniel, he is my favorite illustrator of Alice. 

To those who love R. John Wright... did you SEE his donation for the IDEX auction.... It has been valued at over 7,000.00 and may bring in 20,000.00 .... it's incredible.  click this link, then scroll down to lot 32.

http://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp … %20auction

Oh... we have a couple of Alice folks here, how wonderful!

Beary truly ours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Matthea wrote:

I'm like a crow with pretty shiney things; take it home, put it in my nest and stare at it.

Matthea, this had me absolutely on the floor, picturing you just sitting there, wide-eyed and mesmerized by a pile of MAC eye and cheek pots, so black and matte and... hypnotic.

I happen to have a fair number of those myself, and find that I just can't let them go...!

Funny!

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

did you SEE his donation for the IDEX auction....

oh my that's amazing...

I also saw a little something else that caught my eye Kim - very cute, well done you!   :clap:  :clap:

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Well, I don't seem to collect anything other than too much dust on my furniture! I used to collect dolls and lighthouses, but they're all packed away now. I have tons of ribbons and trims amongst other crafty bits, but I don't consider any of that a collection. Those are my supplies. Gee, aren't I a bore?

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Kim,
     So glad to see another Alice lover and book collector - this could be deadly!  Where on earth did you get a copy of an exam he graded at Oxford?  I browse all the antique book sites and drool all the time - poor hubby doesn't get it as he isn't a reader or book person at all.  Thank god both of our kids love books, and so does our wee grandson.  Hubby has spent many afternoons, sitting on a bench waiting for all of us to finish browsing in a book store LOL!
     I have to say that Peter Pan is my fetish and I don't know why.  Maybe cuz I don't feel I've ever grown up! LOL.  Arthur Rackhams illustrations of Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens are simply brilliant.  I also have a copy of Alice with his illustrations, but they are only copies.  There is something magical about his illustrations.  Anyway, I'd love to bea able to see all of your collection - it must be amazing!
                                                 Hugs,

Brenda

nettie scotland
Website

troll-collection.jpghorses.jpgbears.jpgI collect a few different things.I have over the last few years tried to replace sentimental things from my childhood including wooden dolls and sixties dam trolls.
I also have antique china,beswick horses,russian china bears and loads of vintage pin cushions,hanky pouches and sewing stuff.I used to use them all as props when I did bear shows.
Like many of you I also love childrens books.I have to avoid old book shops as I can't resist ones form the early 1900's.
I have a lovely Alice in Wonderland illustrated by Ralph Steadman which he has signed and written a personal message to my late brother who also was an illustrator.I also collect old copies of any Jane Austin books as I love them.
I have only a few bears which include my merrythought cheeky I had as a child.
It is great to see every one elses collections.

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio
thumperantiques wrote:

I have to say that Peter Pan is my fetish and I don't know why.  Maybe cuz I don't feel I've ever grown up!

I once had a discussion with a professor of childrens' literature... this was just a casual conversation.... not some big theory of anything.. anyway, his philosophy was that Peter Pan obsessors are grown ups who really don't want to be grown up at all, and Alice obsessors are grown ups who would like to be able to go back and forth whenever the mood strikes them...   bear_grin

The exam... there are shops that deal in nothing but signatures, manuscripts, stuff like that... my Dad found it in one of those.... it's not nearly as valuable as something with his actual signature on it, we had it authenticated through some other sources.   It's pretty neat.

Kim

AnnG Childhood Treasures
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA

I love to collect dolls and teddies and small things. I love mechanical things, which is why I'm fascinated with the schoenhut wooden dolls. I dream of some day having an original Kathe Kruse doll with the painted cloth head. I think they're wonderful. My guys have quite a few beanies as well. I love to fix dolls and teddies. I guess I really just love a challenge. I love minis. You can fit so many in your showcase. I have a lovely display that I can stare at and enjoy in my bedroom. I love toys. I could go on and on and on and on and ....... bear_thumb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I collect the most useless things......

Greeting cards ..... never actually send them to any one, just sift through them once in a while looking for a card to send someone, find the perfect on in my 'collection' then say "I can't part with that one... bought that in London a few years ago and I love it!" So then I go to the store and buy a card to send off. How insane is that???

Dishes ..... don't have to be china, can be pottery .... I have about 7 sets, none complete, but all different patterns or colors. No consistency in my likes there. Insane part about that is that we rarely entertain unless it's a holiday and then my grandmother is here so we use her wedding china which I now have and do NOT like! Figures!

I'm sure there are more things I collect that fall into this category of "WHY?" I don't want to know what they are though!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Well Daphne,  I for one don't think collecting cards is insane at all - I tons of them.  I look at them as art, and I have my favourite card illustrators too.  There are a few artists today, that I can spot one of there cards a mile away, and usually buy them when I find them.
     I forgot to say that I have a few R John Wright pieces.  I started out collecting his Beatrix Potter series, and have Peter, Benjamin and Jemima and her ducklings, but I didn't care for Tom Kitten and I stopped after that.  Years ago,  I was fascinated with Lenci dolls (and still love them) and stumbled across R. John Wright.  I made two molded felt dolls, and I entered one of them in a contest for Canadian Living magazine and won a Janome sewing machine with it.  I still have the doll and when I find time, I'll take pics of him. 
     Kim, I'd have to agree with your professor - I don't ever think I've been totally happy being a grown up.   I still have my daughter's doll house and all their toys! 
I have to stay off of the sites that sell the really specialty stuff about  Alice and Peter - it's far too tempting!  I would, however, kill to see your collection.

Hugs,

Brenda

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I am what most people would call a horder I guess..... I collect china cup saucers and plate sets ... china in any form really .... thimbles ... bears ... tins ... and I could go on .... I really do need to have a sort out ...... I really don't have the room for them all ...

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I've loved reading through this bear_original   I have never been into alice or peter like some of you and find it totally fascinating that you have such huge collections!  I would so love to see them. bear_happy
I love Winnie the pooh instead and collect all things pooh, figures, books etc etc, wonder what that would mean to your professor kim lol

I collect books too, all sorts and love childrens picture books, especially fairy books by Shirley Barber. 
I love toilken and have his books and movies etc etc, went overboard with that lol.   I love fantasy books and mystery and also have the whole agatha christie range that I share with my mother hehe

I have never heard of R John Wright and so glad you all mention him!  I went to his collection site and wow!  I could spend all day looking at his work. I love the beatrix potter pieces, and I have always liked Raggady Ann and Andy too  bear_happy

I've had so much fun reading through all of this  bear_original 

Heres to collecting  bear_thumb  hehe  Glad I'm not alone in my obsession  :lol:

Hugs Sarah

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia
TamiL wrote:

I collect bears and antique teacups, china.  I use to collect barbie and porcelain dolls.
The doll collection grew so much, most of it is packed away in the basement.
So I have slowed down on the dolls.

I love to check out antique stores for
handpainted china thats my favorite! It just looks so pretty displayed .

Oh yep, I forgot my barbie collection lol, I love anything fairy or story book and I have a collection of the dolls of the world, and even a Harley Davidson barbie  bear_tongue
Hugs Sarah

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh  Cobwebs, mostly.  bear_laugh

Most stuff just follows me home . . . and I keep it.

However, I can't resist great old furniture (not necessarily antique), and I have a houseful that needs refinishing. Books always need a home. You never know when you''re going to need a neat new woodworking tool. Or a dog.

Otherwise, fur coats, mohair, all the bearmaking stuff that I could use up if I weren't tutoring so many students!

And horse brasses. They're becoming an addiction.

Eileen

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

OOH , I forgot, We collect antique books. :doh:  My daughter loves antique book. I got her started when I purchased a set at a yardsale. They were lovely, american authors and she fell madly in love with it. Anyway before that we have several, I have an first edition of Curly Fletchers Songs of the Sage. ( cowboy poetry). My daughter loves those editions that were called pocket size.
Hugs, Kathy

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

bear-dress-ebay-015.jpgbear-dress-ebay-014.jpgbear-dress-ebay-013.jpgI allso collect tea pots

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Just popping in for a quick note.
I have a pretty good sized collection of Harmony Kingdom boxes and I love antique cameos.  I have some beauties.
Actually girls, you know that 2 of anything is considered a collection !!  Whoa, I guess I collect everything then.
Nanc....

newbearland Christchurch, New Zealand

At the moment the only thing I really collect is artist teddy bears. However I do love anything with butterflies on it.  I would love to collect snow globes but I really don't have the room.

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast

Hi,
Great collectors we are!!
I collect vintage childrens clothes, my bears love to wear them.

And lately I have been collecting animation art...

Joan

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

Remembered another collection I have........sugar packets........from restaurants. Something I started as a kid, and still get them (if we ever go someplace new to eat) Guess my Dad thought I needed some sweetening when he suggested I collect them.
:dance: Ellen

Board footer