Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hey, I just got my copy of Teddy Bear Review with the Golden Teddy Nominees......

Shelli and Sue Ann have thier BEAUTIFUL creations in the same category.....!!!!!!!!!

Can I vote twice?

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yes, buy two magazines and spread it around!!!  Laughing here...

Actually, I feel the modest need NOT to vote for myself, to make it more "fair" and avoid loading the vote unnaturally.  And because I love her work and in particular her rooster, and consider her a peer, mentor, and friend,  Sue Ann is the logical OTHER choice for the "Friends" category vote.

But then, Sue Ann might end up winning, by just one vote... MINE!!!  AARGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Actually, truly, the nomination was a "win" in itself.  I love my pretty burgundy Nominee ribbon and stand tall in the knowledge that a panel of experts found my work worthy of inclusion in such a small and talented group of creators.  It's given me, somehow, just in and of itself -- and never to be taken away --  the stamp of approval to really consider and call myself an artist with head held high and proud, which is a priceless commodity; self-belief and confidence in one's work, I mean.  It's already been all I ever dreamed of.  Seriously.

But hey, Sue Ann... if you end up with the trophy, take a picture and send one my way.  Never hurts to remind onesself that it's good to aim high... :)

Hugs to all, and thanks for sharing your Shel/SueAnn dilemma, Judi.  It's good to know I'm at least in the running!!! ;):P:D:):rolleyes::P

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Congratulations to both Shelli and Sue Ann for your nominations! You are both such talented artists and should be very proud of your achievements.You are both winners already in my eyes!:lol:
I can see that I'm going to have to subscribe to Teddy Bear Review....I do get TB&F but this one doesn't have what you're all talking about and I wanna see!!! We used to get both the American mags in our newsagents..albeit a few months late...but now they don't bother. Guess it must have become obvious that Phillip Island only has one true bear nut...and that equates to one mag. I have decided to unsub from Australian Bear Creations for much the same reasons as Danni mentioned....the mag is full of patterns and only one profile..the rest is ads, so it's not really of interest to those who are beyond commercial patterns. I'm only interested in the profiles. The American mags (and lets be fair...also the U.K's Teddy Bear Scene) have so much info.....much of it just tidbits...but I love just seeing a snippet of what everyone else in the world is doing. AND I love the pleasure they give to those of us unknowns, when they publish our bears in the snippets sections. I can't yet speak from experience...I always miss the deadlines too...but am aiming to get something submitted before the years end!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Girls, girls . . . the category that Shelli and I are in has four other great nominees!!  However, deep in my gut - I think Shelli will go home from D.C. with that Golden Teddy Award - and my guts are very often right on.  I've already told Shelli this, and she thinks I might jinx her chances . . . but I can't ignore what my insides tell me.  Yes, it is truly an honor just to be nominated - just like at the Oscars - and, last year when I actually won the Golden Teddy with my entry "Campbell", I was absolutely stunned.  Shelli, thanks so much for your very nice comments - it's so easy to become friends quickly on this board.  Everybody is so genuine, warm, and supportive; it's amazing to me that our wonderful teddy bear is the connection we all share.  We are ALL WONDERFUL !!  bear_grin bear_grin bear_tongue

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I want to add, too, that our own Judi Paul (Luxembears) is a nominee this year as well... in a BEAR category!  It's one of her needle-felted bears and is wonderfully unique and beautiful.  Just like Judi!

There are, however, plenty of gorgeous bears -- and thus, talented bear creators -- who don't get nominated, for whatever reason, each and every year. 

I happen to know for a fact that a particularly beloved, well-selling, very frequently awarded bearmaker of truly great talent and reknown submitted four entries (just like I did) to each of the two big US competitions (so, eight submitted pieces in total, and eight chances for nomination.) 

Despite the fact that each and every one of her entries could not only be a nominee, but a winner, she only managed to get one piece nominated per contest -- and it was the same piece for both!  The fact that my skunk somehow edged out her "Friends" submission for the Golden Teddy contest still has me slack-jawed in shock.

I share this with the board, here, in an effort to say that -- YES!  It's truly wonderful, heady, confidence-boosting and heart-swelling to receive a nomination or an award!  I hope I get one very year!  One... or twelve! ;)

But those nominations or awards do NOT a wonderful bear -- or bear artist -- make. 

So, if you are NOT one of the nominated few -- this year or any other, for that matter -- be sure to remind yourself that even the best of the best of the best (the wonderful lady to whom I vaguely refer, above), with a long history of nominations and awards, aren't always honored with nominations and contest wins... even when their pieces more than merit such acknowledgement and public acclaim.

Hugs and encouragement,

Board footer