Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

nettie scotland
Website
kbonsall wrote:

AAAHH!!! tax and duty? Is that becuase it was a delivery from the US?

We are the same here.Any more than £36 and we get hammered for duty.I just risked a whole lot more so fingers crossed.I once got charged £30 (a mixture of duty and postage ) for a parcel of just £40  worth.I like intercal mohair best so just have to hope they don't all get checked.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:hug:  Thanks for the hug, Kim!

Little Jaidan is looking at me verrry sympathetically from her perch atop my computer!  :hug:

Nettie--I never know whether it's more cost-efficient to order less stuff at one time to avoid duty and taxes, but  pay more postage in the long run or to order a lot at once and suck up the duties and taxes! I should sit down and calculate the pros and cons one of these days, I guess.

Bottom line is, we get shafted. Since I pay in American dollars, which are worth about 20% more than Candian dollars, I'm feeling extra sorry for myself!  bear_angry

There's one largish Canadian supplier, www.discojointsandteddies.com, but their prices are high, and I have to pay Canadian taxes when I buy from them--15%.

I spend a lot of time poring over Intercal's Bargain Bin!

Eileen

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Thanks to all of you for making me laugh so much!
Oh, i am not better than you concerning teddy bear making material...
When I go to one of my local fabric etc shop for only one or two items, I come back with much more. When wandering inside a shop, I cannot stop myself touching the fabrics to check how soft/thick etc they are. I always ask myslef how this fabric could be useful for a bear!!! Well, you see the picture...
A good thing is that I cannot find mohair fabrics neither joints in these shops...
but when I shop on Internet, I always buy more than planned...

Another good point is that I absolutely cannot buy too much because of the lack of space in my falt. So things have to be small to fit in!
And another point is money: I cannot spend too much, because i cannot afford it!!!

bear_tongue

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Nah, girls . . . I think I have all of you beaten in the obsessive/compulsive craft buying - I'm DEFINITELY going to win when I die!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  Maybe what we need is a Tontine--survivor gets the whole group's stash--this might even motivate us to work harder on our New Year's Resolutions!

Eileen

bhbears Bearhaven Bears
Merrickville, Ontario

Hi Kimberly,
I was so obsessed with the need to aquire all the mohair ever produced that I started my own supply company bear_rolleyes , Beahaven Bears and Supplies.  Gave me the perfect excuse to spend, spend, spend!!! bear_thumb  All those wonderful yards of mohair, eyes and other beary stuff, mine to drool over until the next show. bear_whistle  You would think this would fulfil the hoarder in me but nooooooo,  :doh: I became possessive didn't want to sell my treasures, it just looked to darn good in my studio. So after a few years of suffering from mohair separation anxiety, I threw in the towel, closed the doors.  No one was going to get my mohair  bear_tongue mine all mine :dance: I think the whole starting my business was my way of getting my husband to jump on board and to prove that this bear thing could be profitable  bear_laugh Silly me what was I thinking!!!   It has been a few years since I have sold my goods, I still have a wonderful selection of mohair but one can never have to much.  I still purchase in large quantities after all there is just way to many types to chose from, might as well have a bit of everything.  My motto He who has the most mohair wins, and I'm trying  real hard to claim that prize. I love to hit second hand stores, craft stores, friends closets, abandoned houses ( found some wonderful antique buttons in a falling down shack once) etc.... looking for things that I think I might one day use on my bears.  No one is safe when I'm on the hunt. bear_wacko  I don't think it is a problem I know I can stop at any time I want  bear_grin  honest I realy can I just don't want to and no bear hoarder intervention can make me ....  bear_angry
Hugs Deborah

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Ok Sue Ann,

but have you written into your will how your "STUFF" is to be treated in the event of your untimely.....?  Do I care about the jewelry?  Do I care about the pictures?  Nope....Do I even care about the properties?  No.....I wanted to specify what happens to the teddies and gollies and the sewing room.  The lawyer laughed.  bear_angry   He thought I was joking.  Hubby had to assure him I was dead serious.....oops no pun intended.....

sheesh!  what an goofball lawyer

bear_wacko
:hug:
dilu

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

I was so obsessed with the need to aquire all the mohair ever produced that I started my own supply company

bear_original Deborah!

I wish I'd thought of that. There's nothing . . . repeat nothing . . . in Toronto, which the natives tell me is the Center of the Universe.  bear_whistle

I'm actually afraid,  dear friends, to add up what I've spent so far. I keep careful track of my tutoring income, and I keep all the receipts for my bear supplies neatly filed away, but I still can't summon the courage to take them out again.

Eileen

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Dilu wrote:

Ok Sue Ann,

but have you written into your will how your "STUFF" is to be treated in the event of your untimely.....?  Do I care about the jewelry?  Do I care about the pictures?  Nope....Do I even care about the properties?  No.....I wanted to specify what happens to the teddies and gollies and the sewing room.  The lawyer laughed.  bear_angry   He thought I was joking.  Hubby had to assure him I was dead serious.....oops no pun intended.....

sheesh!  what an goofball lawyer

bear_wacko
:hug:
dilu

No . . . we have a very simple, basic will and everything just gets left to the girls.  I tell them from time to time that they will have a heck of a job with all my bear/craft/quilting stuff.  I say just sell it on ebay - they'll make a ton of money!  Well, maybe a little money.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Well, I don't mean to tell any tales on anyone, but Deborah is serious - she has  more mohair than I'll see in my lifetime!  She could definitely win "the most mohair contest!"  bear_grin However, she is also one of the most generous people I've ever known, and has given me lots of mohair pieces, especially when I'm looking for a certain look.   You're the best, Deb!

Hugs,

Brenda

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I agree that Canadians get shafted on customs with duty and taxes.  I just got a parcel, valued $50.00 and marked gift and I had to pay $40.00 for brokerage fees and GST!    When we move, however, we will be living withing 1/2 hour of Disco Joints and Teddies (YAHOO!) and even if they are a bit expensive, it will be better than having to order it from outside the country and having to pay all the duties - I CAN'T WAIT!

Hugs,

Brenda

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I agree Brenda, it sure does hurt to have to pay soo much extra when you're buying stuff. Just not fair.
To be honest, I don't even know why they charge us. Just doesn't seem fair.

And lets not talk about how long it can take customs to give us back our package!! :twisted:

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Canadian customs are sca-a-a-ry.  Every once in a while, we ship packages to our relatives in Calgary.  If something is 'old', 'used' or 'handmade' we make sure to write that on the customs form!  My mother once sent her sister some little kitchen gadget that she got on sale, I think for $5-$10.  The customs agent, apparently feeling that the value was too low and we must have been trying to cheat them somehow, charged many times the value of the item in customs fees for her to get the package.  Sheesh!

Kelly

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  Wow, Brenda--lucky you! I'd be at DJ&T's window 5 minutes after moving there with my nose pressed against the glass.  :dance:

Will my mohair to someone? No way, I'm taking it with me!

Eileen

OurLostRose Florida Panhandle

Oh yeah, I know just what you're talking about Kimberly!  Shopping is VERY addictive...  for me it's especially true when it comes to Artist Teddy Bears, shoes, Fossil watches, and clothes in general!    bear_rolleyes     bear_flower

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Ha ha ha!!  After this long weekend, this is the first time I've gotten to check TT... I am SO normal amongst you folks!  It's WONDERFUL!!!!

You are right, Kim Bee, we did talk about this before... I just didn't realize just how obsessed-like-me you were!!!  I cackled out loud about you hiding the bags in the trash only to tell him within an hour of him gettion home so loud that my husband, downstairs, was like, "What's so funny?"  I'm like, "Uh, nothing!" ha ha...  I do the SAME thing, thgouh!  But it's more like, withing 30 seconds of talking to him.  I genuinely feel that he shares the excitement, ha!

That tax and duty is obscene!!!  I agree, you guys shouldn't have to pay any extra... I don't see any real reason for it!

Oh and I did it again.....  I was at this permanant indoor flea market thing and came across a whole basket of older dangly earrings and was quietly 'ooooing' over how I could SO disassemble them and use the beads for NICE bear garnishes.  The lady standing beside me piped, "Aren't they lovely?  I could just buy so many of them, couldn't you? Oh, but I have so many already..."

"Isn't that the truth?" I thought....

Kimberly W.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

LMAO!!  My hubby and I went yesterday and went to TWO Joanne's TOGETHER!!!  LMAO... we went to one and found some synthetics and they didnt have the one that I made Snowflake and Angela out of and I wanted more of it... so he called around and found a store that is about 40 min from us and we went there!!! HA! So needless to say, I found my fabric and walked away with 3 yards of it!  and, of course, it was 70% off!  So I got that (which is a plus ivory-colored synthetic), the same synthetic in pink (a yard) and a really long pile synthetic that is white with silvery threads in it... (a yard of that too) plus a lot of embelishments, some MORE ribbon, and four pieces of material from their "scrap" bin (which, if you gals are not familiar with Joanne's, if it is about a yard or less (not enough to put back on the bolt), they put it in a bin where it is discounted... Mine were 50% off original and then 70% off of that price!! WOOHOO!!!!   :dance:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

And I only spent about $60 on all of it!  LOTS STUFF!

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Wow...I wish I had some money..its great having your hubby to go with you, what a blessing ..he, he.....Winney

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Oh man, Kim Bee!  What a steal!  I got a total of about 4 different faux furs from JoAnne, and am loving them! I'm about to list on in the Bears For Sale made out of the pink I got, tonight!  I wonder if it's te same pink that you got, Kim Bee!!

Kimberly W.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

It is about an inch or so pile and it is soooo soft… it is a baby pink … I bet it is the same! If it is, I got the same in ivory and that is what Angela and Snowflake are made of… and now you know why I went on my quest to find it… There are a lot of synthetics out there but this one is high quality and the price was a steal at around $5.99 a yard! I’ll have to post pics when I make mine out of it too… I was thinking of trying a bunny out with that material since Spring is right around the corner!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

mail.JPGS5300004.JPGbeads.JPGHere are some pics of my "stash"... just part of my fabric and glass bead stash...I also realized that I am a "packaging" rat... I have started to collect all kinds of packing from peanuts to air pillows to bubble wrap and boxes out the wazoo!!

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Oh kim. Can I come over??? I'll bring my pink panda.............LOL
Your place looks like fun. I also have a buge shipping supply stash. Keep it all though, I have been though times where I've needed it all.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania
psichick78 wrote:

Oh kim. Can I come over??? I'll bring my pink panda.............LOL
Your place looks like fun. I also have a buge shipping supply stash. Keep it all though, I have been though times where I've needed it all.

SURE! Bring your panda with! I dont know that she will be going back home with you though!  seriously!  bear_wub

I have a lot of supplies... that isnt even half of it! I still have my wool roving stash, my ribbon stash, my fiber stash, my accessories stash... etc etc etc... I have a lot of schtuff!

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

I also have a buge shipping supply stash

I dunno WHAT a 'buge' is but if means that getting one can get the old man to take me to Vegas and make and honest woman outta me i want one!!!!!!!!!

bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Penny x

Board footer