Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Deb Upstate New York

My daughter had a friend who struggled with reading comprehension.  Cheers to you Scott for not letting it stop you from communicating in written form.  This young man has suffered many disappointments and setbacks because of his insecurities, etc.  Very sad.

Judi, wonderful note from your Dad!

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Judi,
That garbled message is fascinating. Our brains are simple amazing. and we don't even use the whole thing. Imagine what we could accomplish if we did. I really like  you Dad's message. He sounds like a very loving caring person.

Scott,
Thanks for sharing your story. I applaud you courage and perserverence. We all have our issues that we have to deal with. some are more difficult to overcome than others but the struggle can make us better people as long as we have support. I'm sure you would have made a terrific nurse, but obviously your destiny lay elsewhere.  Like so many have already said, you have a great support system right here! bear_thumb

hugs,

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

SueAnn wrote:

Scott, I'm so sorry that you've had to put up with insensitive people and their lack of understanding learning disabilities.  I'm so proud of you that you were able to tell us your story - what a brave thing to do!  Teddy Talk has some of the most incredibly understanding and supportive people in any kind of community - online or off - so I think if you were going to tell any group about your disability, this was the place to do it.  I bet you would have been an outstanding nurse - but I know FOR SURE that you are an outstanding bear artist!  Your work is incredible and I certainly don't care if you can spell, or not.  Big hugs,

It might seem like just a lazy way out, but I can't think of a better way to say it than Sue Ann already did.  Kudos to you, Scott.

One of my children had a terrible year last year because his teacher could not see him for what he is: a child with a diagnosed anxiety disorder.  Teacher had to instead consider my son a "problem student", blaming everything he did that fell outside the lines of "easy" and "quiet" -- like fretting, checking-in behaviors, and fidgeting -- as INSUBORDINATION and PURPOSEFULLY DISTRACTING CLASSROOM BEHAVIOR.  For that reason, my son brought home straight A's the first quarter... and grades as low as "D", in PE!!! no less, by  year's end. 

The deadly combination of, as you said, old-world mentality on the part of the teacher, AND my son's rapidly decreasing interest in being cubbyholed and labelled and publicly shamed and mocked, led to such an outcome.  And, mind you, my son is an athlete of the most fit and dedicated sort; he's on a local gymnastics team (not just taking lessons) and works out many, many hours a week.  His was not a case of acting out or insubordination; his was a case of a kid being himself... and not like everyone else... and, plain and simple, just not being "seen" as purely and only THAT.  The teacher just absolutely refused to view my son as anything other than a trouble-maker.  It was lose-lose for everyone.

Happily, we have the support of the principal and school psychologist, plus a wonderful teacher this year, and things have turned around on that particular front entirely.

I'm sorry you had to experience something similar; prejudice and discrimination -- and that's what we're talking about here -- by the small-minded and intolerant makes the world a less-than-pretty place. 

Thanks for sharing!

Hugs,

yosemitebearworks Oakhurst, CA
Website

Scott,

You have gotten some great support from the wonderful gang here -- and all I can do is add my thanks for sharing -- what a loss -- knowing you, I'm sure that you would have been a great nurse.  I'm always amazed that we are often given other talents that compensate for whatever shortcomings we may have.  In your case, as well as being a super bear artist, you have the best "people skills" of any one I know.  For those bear artists out there who might be at a show with Scott  -- watch out!  I have had a table next to Scott's more than once and watched as collectors gathered 'round chatting, laughing, and having a great time and not wanting to leave.  (Leaving the next table -- mine -- empty.)  bear_whistle   I could hardly blame them, though.  If anyone can make a show fun -- it's you.   bear_grin So, even though you struggle with writing -- in person you more than make up for it!

Hugs,  Donna B

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Funny_catLionMirror.jpgWhat matters most is how you see yourself.  This is one of my all time favorite pictures.  I think it speaks very loudly.

The sun shine behind the clouds and Scott, the sun is shining on you.  You just keep doing what you do and always be true to your self!

Thank you for sharing your story.  Typing and spelling is all about communicating.  My first post shows that we can communicate even with lots of spelling errors.  Communication is what counts in the end.  Not the spelling.

We all have something to teach and we all have something to learn....and bear hugs are free! (thought I'd throw that in there) :hug:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Wow, Scott!

If you can draw collectors away from Donna's gorgeous bears, you've gotta be unstoppable!  :hug:

Eileen

Board footer