Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

PlushPuppy Posts: 110

I didn't think of the fact that I wouldn't be able to turn the fur  I think that like the ears, I will wait until I have the main body done, then I can see how it needs to be properly.

As a thought, if there's lockline in the tail, does there need to be wire as well to hold the pose? I'm intending on putting some fine wire in the ears, just to help them stay upright and in shape.

I've just started to make the armature this afternoon, and found the cable wiring is too thick to shape or hold together. So I've decided to use some actual armature wire instead, so it's more pliable and the frame can be made in one piece, but there's different gauges/sizes and I'm not sure which one is right. Can anyone give any info on which size will be both workable and strong enough?

I've been at Crufts for the last few days and I got to see lots of poms, and hold one, so that's given me a good idea of what to aim for. Elli you were right, they are built like a chihuahua under all the fur and surprisingly light bear_laugh

Hi all, an update and some more questions!

I have now finished sewing the dog pattern as far as I can go for now, leaving the back of the legs, feet and back open, and minus ears and tail:

9bd4cdbb8ebf220414ebfb93b52b6536_zpsfa8e6867.jpg

SilverClaw, I can now give you the actual size of the nose area if you need it, it's pretty small and I've not clipped it to shape yet bear_tongue

So I now want to order the filling, but there's so many I'm lost! Is there a stuffing that holds posture and more weight to it, as opposed to pillow type stuffing? And armature wire -which size is best?

The filling needs to bulk out the fur, but how do I stuff it well enough to still be able to close it afterwards, when it's got steel shot, wadding, wire and lockline in it?!

And if anybody has any suggestions for the bit I've done, please tell bear_grin

SilverClaw Posts: 39
Website

looking good!

actual nose size would be great. sorry i've been a little quiet recently, work has me doing so much overtime and i'm prepping some art doll kits and also writing a book on the making of art dolls. i'll get your nose done asap when you send me the dimensions. i'll be working with silicone next monday so i will be able to cast it then bear_original

as for stuffing, i tend to use literally the stuffing found in pillows and duvets for my art dolls as it works well for wrapping the armature. https://www.mohairbearmakingsupplies.co … fibre-fill this will probably work best for what you want.

as for wire, i use wire from homebase rather than armature wire bear_original I'm pretty sure this is the one http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk … 20m-158696 although the label on what i have on hand at the moment says "galvanised light duty garden wire" i use at least three strands for each part i need and twist them together to produce a much stronger armature. the more strands, the stronger it is.

Thanks SilverClaw bear_original

Don't worry about it, I didn't expect to have sewn it up so quickly, given I've only done a bit each night! I'm at work at the moment, but I'll get you the nose size later on today.

I've had a look at the fibrefill, do you get quite a lot for a kilo, or would 2kg be better, along with this:

https://www.mohairbearmakingsupplies.co … rylic-felt

for inside the ears?

Ok I've measured the nose, and it is roughly the same size as a 5 pence piece. I also measured it up against the nose on a plush dog bag I have, which is 19mm x 15mm, and its a very good match at that :thumbsup:. That is as accurate as I can get it I'm afraid, because its soft and squashy whilst trying to measure :P.

I've started on the wire frame, I called into a hardware shop and got a roll of galvanised garden wire, £1.69 for 20 meters! Way cheaper than the aluminium craft wire which is £6 odd for only 5 meters! bear_wacko

Wire frame is going well. And I've got the steel shot and wadding for stuffing, but before I do, does the body need to be empty to fix the eyes in? In fact how exactly do you fix the eyes in? Especially those taxidermy ones without a loop? bear_ermm

Board footer