Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Honeytown Posts: 8

Hello! bear_original

Fifteen years ago I had a beloved artist bear collection that had to be dispersed when I became allergic to mohair (yep, that means I'm allergic to goats!).  It was so hard kissing those wonderful bear faces goodbye. bear_cry With only two of my collection left--a wool bear and an alpaca one--I've been mostly bearless, still missing my lost buddies after all these years.

Just recently I discovered Charlie Bears--- which I can hug without any ill effects--Yay!  Some of these are really terrific and they do remind me of artist bears. Now I'm looking around wondering if artists are making bears out of materials other than mohair these days?

And so... here I am. I hope to learn about the current Teddy Bear hobby and have fun seeing what's new.

Thanks for "listening".

koonienett Lüdinghausen
Website

Hallo and welcome Honeytown bear_flower

I use different materials: Mohair, Alpaka,  Synthetik-Plush. I think many bearmakers today  use Synthetik-Plush. You can also find bears made of Viscose

Normally a teddybear should have an certificat with a specification of the materials. You should also pay attention of the filling. There are different kinds of material to stuff the bears (sheep wool, mohair, fiberfill and others).

Hope this is helpful.

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Hi Honeytown and welcome to TT!

As Kornelia and Pink already mentioned above, the fact that you are allergic to mohair (which is very sad indeed  bear_shocked ), does not mean you can't collect teddy bears.  Lots of artists use faux fur, Viscose and all kinds of other materials (jeans, leather, ...) and some also use real fur (from discarded fur coats).   

If you are looking for "one of a kind" artist bears, then Bearpile is a good optioni, because you select the type of fur you are looking for.

Apart from Charlie Bears, there are many other manufacturers that also make beautiful plush bears, like Suki (Silver Tag Bears), Kösen, Hermann Teddy, even Steiff, ... bear_thumb

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Welcome to Teddy Talk!  bear_flower I look forward to seeing the photos as you collection grows.

Becky

Jenbee Barnetby Bears
England
Website

Welcome! What a shame about your collection, but i am sure you will be able to find some new bears and have a lot of fun doing it :)

Some of my bears and bunnies are made from high quality faux fur, i think a lot of bear makers use different furs now because there is so much available. Good luck!  bear_thumb

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Flower Mound, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Welcome to Teddy Talk, Honeytown . . . we're pleased to have you join us.  Our forum sponsor, Intercal, has alpaca and Tissavel/Tyber synthetic fur.  This is a link to the synthetics.
http://www.intercaltg.com/special/13.html

Honeytown Posts: 8

Thank you for the warm welcome.  bear_original   It is wonderful to learn there are plenty of non mohair bears out there--both artist and manufactured. I am sure I'll be hunting amongst both kinds!
Also--it's good to be around those who understand the bear enthusiasm.  :lol:
Thanks again!

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

Hi Honeytown and welcome to TT  bear_flower I'm sure you will find loads of new lovelies to add to your hug whether artist or manufactured. We just love to see bears here so post away   bear_original
michelle

Board footer