Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hiya, Luann . . . thanks for the update on shipping charges for the steel beads!!  Great news!  bear_laugh bear_laugh

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Dilu. I have used the fine excelsier in the nose with great results. As you know I have COPD and must be careful with flying debris..I have not had any reaction with the excelsier but here are some precautions...

Take the stuff you got outside where you can break and it apart in small sections to repack into smaller zip lock bags. Break off into small  hand fulls, I do it it in  " nose  bunches "cause that's what I use it for....and shake it into the wind away for you face to get rid of the excess dust.

Neat trick I learned during my " boy scout days " You know how you can tell which way the wind is blowing " Stick your ( clean ) index finger all the way into your mouth to wet it...then hold that finger up into the air...whichever side of the finger feels colder is the way the wind is coming from...LOL.. Elementary my dear Watson but it works !

I don't do this but just before you use it you can mist it lightly with a plant atomizer...I just don't break it apart or wave it up near my nose area when I am using it...I don't think it is anymore harmful than polyfill . I am more concerned about loose fur flying around in the air then excelsier dust..... Winney

mj Pinney Bears
North Carolina
Website

mj Banner Sponsor

I was given this web site by another bear maker and she uses their steel shot. I haven't ordered from them yet but their prices looked good.

www.ballisticproducts.com

lidoushka London

Hi, my name is Lydia, I just joined teddy talk after bumping into it by chance last night.  bear_laugh  I was looking to find a way of tightening my bear joints as no matter what I do with nut and bolt  joints they tend to get loose when I start stuffing.
Once again it really is wonderful to find a site like teddy talk. 
Hugs Lydia;)

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Welcome Lydia !

Sorry I can't help you about the joint question because
I'm using cotter pins only...but I'm sure some one  will help you out!
I'm glad you joined bear_laugh

Hugs/Marie

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Hi Lydia!

Have you tried lock-nuts? They look just like regular nuts, but have a bit of plastic at one end. Your bolt is inserted into the non-plastic end, and comes out the plastic end. Once these are tight, they won't move. Note of caution: if you loosen the joint once it's tight, your lock-nut won't lock anymore!

Eileen

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi Lydia, and welcome!

Irene Irenours-bears
France

Hi Lydia; Do you turn the cotterpins with the right tool? I don't know the name in english but it look like a screwdriver with a slit on the tip? I have them in 3 sizes.

lidoushka London

Hi everybody
I will have a go again with the lock nut.  Eileen thanks for your note I think that is where I am going wrong as I read somewhere tighten the nut as far as you can then undo it one and a half times.  Next time I will tighten as far as necessary.
Its great to be able to talk to so many bear lovers, talk to you all soon.
hugs  Lydia

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Welcome Lydia and Debbie.  Glad you joined us ! bear_laugh

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

I have to agree with that comment wholeheartedly Gina!! I have always thought the idea of trimming the fur from your seam allowance (as I think Laura Lyn or Winney does) to be a tedious and unecessary chore. But with my last bear, I decided to try it..just for the heck of it.
And do you know...I'm SOLD on it!!! I have made many, many bears..and always been one to pluck the hair from the seams after sewing..and then resewing (because the seam becomes looser once you pluck out the bulky fur). But after trimming the fur from the seam allowances before sewing...which didn't take NEARLY as long as I thought it would...I ended up with a bear with a superb finish to it. No matter how well you pluck your seams after sewing...there will always be a few bits that you can't get to pull to either side and they are unsightly..but by trimming the seams and the just brushing afterwards...the finish is second to none. So if you are like me and decided that would be too much effort....do try it!
My bear had long, thick fur, so if you are using short, sparse, you need to be very accurate with your trimming and sewing...so you don't get bare spots, wheras because of the volume, longer fur is more forgiving. In the long run...I found this methos quicker than my old way of doing things...and because there was less bulk at the seam...pinning was a breeze too.:D

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Yes... I have to say trimming the seams can be  boring work and it usually takes quite some time to do, about an hour ...unless you use an electric shaver ! ...then it only takes 15 min! That is considerably lees time than picking fur out of the seams. Time yourself and you will be amazed....Winney

Board footer