Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

I know alot of you use white vinegar when using food dye. Would white wine vinegar work?

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

I tried....and failed!!!! I did go and buy some distilled white vinegar to use instead of the white wine vinegar. I wanted a lovely light blue colour, and ended up with purple!!!!! I don't know why it turned out purple - I used blue food colouring......hmm, better luck next time!!!  :crackup:

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Hi Gemma,

I've been experimenting with food dye and vinegar (neither are expensive brands) and found it very successful.

The vinegar label just says "White Vinegar" then in small print "vinegar brewed from fermented spirit". It's just a Coles Supermarket own brand in a 2 litre bottle...like Safeway or Woolworths brand.

Did you soak your wood rovinhg before emersing in the colouring? I just rinse my mohair in clean warm water first. Maybe you just used too much colouring.

Are you felting a bear? Purple's not such a bad colour for a bear though...specially if you sit him in a barrel of grapes! bear_grin

I hope this helps you, I don't know what else to suggest. Maybe some of the others will have better hints.

Hugs,
Sandi

purelyneysa Purely Neysa
Indiana, PA
Website

Good Morning, My understanding has always been vinegar sets the dye. If you have clothing that when washed bleeds color a very small amount to the rinse sets the dye and the color should not bleed . Dying????? I'd like to hear more. Neysa

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Gemma, you can try all possible vinegars, you'll always get some purple.

That's your dye which is changing colour with the pH of the solution. I mean if in an acidic solution like vinegar, the colour changes.
It depends on what is in the dye. Some dye are sensitive to acidity and some are not.

So try another kind of food colouring or as this is almost the season for it, buy some blueberries or black berries or any black/blue berry!

Good luck,
Beary hugs,
Sophie.

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Mix with strawberry???

bear_tongue

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Bev College Place, WA

Don't use the vinegar until you are happy with the color and want to set it. You can always rinse or add more color to change it, but once you add the vinegar it is set and really hard to change. Some dyes say to use salt and I leave that out when dying mohair.

Board footer