Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I recently won an ebay auction for a lot of mini bear material.  In that lot was a fabric that was what is considered long pile rayon.  It is shiny and really thick "fur," has a white grid backing and the material looks, for lack of a better description, kind of "swirly"  It is all the same color but isnt all straight... hard to explain... having said all that, does anyone know where I can purchase some more???

Any help is appreciated!:)

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

well, I have a tonne of that stuff in a green color. NO idea if it's dyable. If you want some, email me privatly and I can send you some pics. I'll charge real cheap for my bearmaker friends.
I got the stuff from my grandparents and plan on selling it on ebay but haven't yet.
But I'll make sure you send you pics, as I really don't know what you bought, but my stuff fits the description well. Just too bad it's green.
Heather

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Oh yoohoo !... I found some rayon fur fabrics at Sassy Bears and Fabrics and some other really nice mini fabrics..

Also , she gave me a link for another site that carrys rayon and other fabrics, fake furs..etc.. Go to http://www.destinctivefabric.com  Good prices !

Hmmm. Is that green color dark or light ? ...Winney

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

link didnt work... I asked her to same thing... dark or light green....

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

hey guys, I'll take a picture of the stuff tonight and if it's okay with everyone, I'll post it here. I'm not really trying to sell, I just know this stuff is really sought after.
So I promise to show pictures. I think it's kinda a dark green, but my boyfriend thinks it's a light green. See why I need to take pics LOL
Heather

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

I have quite a bit of long pile rayon that I purchased from Sassy Bears and Fabric. I loved it and it looks great. But...does anyone know how to get the head to look right? The swirls and curls are beautiful but I could not get it to lay right for the face. So I gave up and it is just sitting in my pretty fabric box. Can anyone help?

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

straight-on.jpgholding-green.jpgbacking.JPGHey guys, here are some pictures of what I have. It would be nice to hear what it maybe is anyway. I'm sure you guys know way more than I do. Plus I have a tonne. Not trying to sell anything, but if it's so hard to find I do have some. Even though it's green :P

The picture with the backing showing is about the closest to the real color. At least on my monitor.
Sorry to bore anyone
Heather

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Okay, that looks gold on my screen, not green..

Am I confused, or is it the photo or just my monitor?

Danni

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

I have some of the same fabric in gold that I overdyed with light brown and it turned into a really nice golden  teddy bear brown. You could probably use a dark brown or black on the green and come up with a nice teddy bear color.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Kim, did you email the seller and ask them?  They might remember or even know for certain. 

Shantell

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

I found the site, Winney! Just a spelling glitch . . .
www.distinctivefabrics.com

Eileen

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_ermm Oops bear_ermm

Make that www.distinctivefabric.com

Talk about spelling glitches! Aaargh.

Eileen

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Sorry Eilen..I saw that glitch too..you beat me to it....

OK..rayon is not hard to get but certain colors are...or should I say the absence of color...like white. It dyes very well I am told.
The fabric you have looks like a crushed  gold rayon  to me too on my monitor  ...Heather..you have a ton of it...do you want to part with some of it ?....Winney

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Here in the UK it was used for curtains in the late 60s and 70s. Its called crushed velvet if it is the same one. I can still get some from the charity shops. I had some in a fawn colour and it dyes really easy. I am not sure it is the same as the ones you use, ours had a cotton backing, but it sure does look the same. You usually get it in gold, dark brown, green and sometimes red. All lovely authentic 70s furnishing colours!
I used to make loads of bears in this. Very floppy types as the backing is so soft. Sorry I don't think I have any pictures.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

The bear I made with this stuff is soooo cute... I will have to post (at least I think so).  It is a rust kinda color....

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Danni, I promise the stuff is green, funny how all colors look so different on different monitors.

Amanda, thanks for all the info on my fabric. My Grandma would be soo proud to see teddies made out of her ald stuff. It was very hard for her to part with her business as she got older. She has just given away everything, ( lucky me! ) So I think I should make her a bear or two with some of the cool upolstery fabrics I have been given. Maybe I can even sell the rest on ebay.
Heather

Board footer