Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Beryls-Puddlegreenblue-Puddle1.jpgI dont know why I'm posting this ? she most definitely isnt a success at all. I knew something was wrong with the eyes but until I took the pics I could see the problem.
I started this one last year for a friend out of some scrap mohair she had left over from two seperate projects of hers. I was suppose to make two Puddles but the fabric fought me all the way. So ended up with only one.
If it was up to me I would ditch her in the bin and start again.  I still might...................

Grin and Grimace Pasadena, CA

Hi Matilda,

I'm pretty new to this forum, but I am a HUGE fan of your Puddles. I have a few birdish ideas I hope to accomplish someday once I hone my skills. Anyhow, I hope to own a Puddle someday! I'm a big bird fan too!

From the photo, I think she looks great. From the angle of the photo, I don't see any problem with the eyes. The only thing I see is perhaps the neck adornment might be a little "heavy" looking for the wee bird. But still adorable!!

Stacey

WA

Hi Stacey, Its just the way I have her posed that makes the necklet look heavy. Silly critter she is.  bear_grin

I'm also a bird person. I saw your birds in the General topic about pets.  I did have a budgie but am now abit shy of owning another bird. Though I love them dearly. Kinda lost my confidence in my abilitiy to care for them.
I do though have a back yard full of wild parrots. 28's, lorikeets, galahs and Corellas. My favourits being the 28's.

Thankyou for the lovely compliments. I will be eagerly awaiting your critters.
cheers Wendy bear_thumb

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

Dear Wendy,

I'm in absolute love for this little one ! Totally my cup of tea !  bear_wub If it's possible I would be so happy to adopt her ! Please do not put her in the bin !  :hug:

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Well Wendy, I think that she is just adorable.  That little face is just so full of joy.  Please let her live!!!!!  She is a sweetheart.

sarahjane Brisbane

Awww Wendy she is such a little cutie...how can you possibly think of putting her in the bin???  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

She is sooo sweet

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

You're mad: I love her!

I think it's her blushing cheeks bear_original She's lovely, but I suppose we'll all hate parts of our creations that others love...

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I'll send you the postage - please don't destroy her - send her to me!!!
Wendy, you're just too hard on yourself; she is lovely and definitly all girl.

Marion

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

to me she just looks like shes raising one eyebrow..sorta saying ..well, what of it?...lol
i really dont think the drastic bin step is nessesary but....i cant see her in person, its you that has to look at her bear_tongue
i really do like her in that picture tho bear_thumb

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Hmmmm....Wendy...I love her!!!!! bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Hugs &

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

yeah, you should bin her for sure.

Just remember the bin is in Canada, Calgary to be exact!

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Hi Wendy,

As artists we are most critical of our own art. As a collector I say she is wonderful and full of personality. If you put her in the bin she is just gonna climb out and find her way to my house.

Hugs,

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

You're mad: I love her!

Wendy, you've hit the nail on the head - but you don't know why!!!
Remember the camera & eyes discussion a few months back?
In order to get the eyes to show up on your work, you needed to get up at a higher angle to be able to look down into them. Then their sparkle showed! It was the angle and placement that wasn't showing up in your straight-on face shots.

Everyone has a favorite 'position' for eyes (part of each artist's unique Look): straight in the front looking forward, looking up, looking down, mounted more on the sides of the muzzle, deeply set into the muzzle crease (yours are more like this) or completely flat on the sides or front of the face, etc...etc... so both don't show up completely in the same shot.

One's eyes compensate because they *expect* to see 2 eyes and tells the mind that it sees 2 eyes, but the camera records only what it actually sees.

If you truly don't know what's 'different (Not wrong!!) subconsciously, for some reason - planned or otherwise, you've brought the eyes to be more like a pair side-by-side higher up on the front of the face, rather than slightly off to the sides and set into that muzzle crease. You also didn't alllow mohair strands or NFed fiber to cover a bit of their bottoms - in other words - the eyes are fully in view!! They're Wonderful!!

If there was onlt little tiny thing I'd like to check in person, it would be if the bear's left eye is SLIGHTLY angled off to the side .... or if it's just the camera angle? That would be easy enough to fix - if not by manipulating the head stuffing around a bit then by needling some lt blue matching wool fiber (or shaved off fiber from your scraps!) into the spot behind the outside edge to bring it a tiny bit around to face more forward.
However, it may just be the camera angle...
She's wonderful - that tiny questioning, curious, open-mouthed 'pout'!!

WA

Thanks everyone for responding to this little ones plight. She now has a stay of execution.  :hug:

Bobbie, one of the eyes  is at a slight angle and the other straight on.
What the camera shows as fabric under the eyes is blue paint. I shall remove that.
They are such big eyes on such a tiny head.
Thankyou for the advice. It has helped me to SEE. I will try and built up under the angled eye to straighten it.
I usually  needle skin folds under my eyes but didnt with this one. I just painted that area a darker blue.
I shall make the changes you advised and we will see............... Maybe I should just give her a pretty bow instead of all the danglys.
Wendy :dance:

Board footer