Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Hi everyone, I've got a bag of old doll's clothes, many of which I played with as a child and so did my Mum, lots are white cotton dresses and some wool items.  Problem is that they have just been stored in an old box, so need a good clean.  Lots have got those little 'rust' marks on them.  Can any of you suggest the best way to clean them to get the stains out and have them all sparkling clean, they are not too delicate? 

Finally we have a sunny day so wanted to wash them by hand and hang them out, but don't think that normal washing powder will work enough?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Catherine
xxx

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi Catherine, I did just the same the other week. I washed all of the clothes by hand and I used ordinary soap powder and they came up quite good. I don't think I would want them looking brand new as it adds to the character somehow. There were a couple of knitted cardigans made from nylon knitting thread, these did not come up to good so I mixed some soap powder up hand hot water and put it in a four pint plastic milk bottle then I pushed the little garments through the opening into the water and put the lid back on. I left the garments for three days, giving the bottle a shake each time I pash it in the kitchen. The stains are now gone and the garments look really clean. Just an idea that you may like to try!

Hugs Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

thanks Jane, by soap powder, do you mean just powder you use in the washing machine?  I'll go give it a try now!  I don't mind them still looking old, just wanted to get the main stains out.

HUGS
Catherine
xx

Jane D. Teddies to Treasure
Midland, Ontario

Oh I'm so jealous! I want some doll clothes too!!! My mom gave all my dolls and books to my younger relatives and I think it gave me a personality disorder of some sort. bear_wacko Good luck with the cleaning.So many older things were quite hardy and well sewn.The aged look adds character to the bears!! I love that look!

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Now don't everyone gasp when I tell you this.....I soak in Oxi-Clean for a day and then throw everything in the washer and agitate the dickens out of it.   bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked Then I put them in the dryer on low heat.  If they make it, fine.  If they don't, I save the parts (lace) that do.  Delicate lace items are soaked for just one hour and then handwashed. 

I still haven't found a really reliable rust remover though.  I'd love to know if anyone else has.  I've tried just about everything on the market.

Hugs and hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Board footer