Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hey guys, just a quick question today.
Found out that there is going to be a Calgary Doll and bear show early in 2006. SOOOO EXCITED!! :clap: :dance: bear_thumb :bday: :cake:
I emailed about a table, and I guess they offer them to non-members in January.
I was wondering how I can go about this, assuming I would get a table and everything. How can I research the show and how many bear makers will be there??
Also, have any of you been to a doll and bear show?? Are these a good idea for us bear makers, or am I better off trying to find just a bear show??
Thanks, just wondering. I've hardly sold any bears being a newbie and all, and I'm not sure if I should take this risk, or just go to the show to shop around.
thanks guys,
Heather

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Heather,

Ask the promoter about previous shows.... how many doll people, how many bear people. They may even give you names of some that participated so you could contact them.

My experience is as follows:

I've done 3 doll & bear shows. 2 were mostly dolls and by dolls it's not usually just 'artist' dolls. It's old dolls, barbie dolls, doll clothes, etc. so they are doll 'vendors' rather than 'artists' many times. The last show I did was a known doll show tho' they advertise bears too. There were 25+ doll vendors and 3 bear artists. The attendees were there for doll stuff and cheap doll stuff as most were selling manufactured dolls. I didn't sell a thing. The one good doll & bear show I've done was a balanced mix of bears and dolls. Well, 40% bears, 60% dolls. There were artists that do the show every year. There were serious collectors there with dolls in baby strollers and bears in baby slings. I sold well at that show and sold none or one at the other shows.

I think it's important that you find out how ever possible if it's a "Doll" show or a 'both' show. Aside from asking the promoter I'm not sure how you'd learn that. Ask the promoter about advertising. If they say they'll be advertising in doll mags and local papers but say nothing about bear publications that is a good indicator. Find out if there will be doll 'artists' there. Those who appreciate artist dolls are more apt to appreciate artist bears as well.

I guess what I'm saying is that if it turns out to be a well known doll show that just happens to have a few bears there it probably won't be worth doing. In my experience anyway.

I'm interested to hear about other's experiences at Doll & Bear shows. Why don't they call them Bear & Doll shows?

Daphne

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I think that the problem with doll AND Bear shows is that often...not always...people who collect dolls have little or no interest in bears and vice versa. So...if there are loads of dolls there and people go mainly for the dolls, your potential customers will be fairly few. However, I attended a show with both a couple of weeks ago..(as a visitor) and,  though I spotted lots of bear collectors milling about, there were very few bears there.  The artists had dwindled as the experience of exhibiting along side dolls proved unsuccessful. So it cuts both ways.

There are going to be people who disagree...and many people actually make dolls and bears...but, for me at least, I feel that I prefer the footfall past my stand to consist of folks who are, in the main, genuinely interested in bears and other related 'friends'. Not just folks who are heading straight past me to the 're-born' baby stands....(yuck!! apologies to anyone who likes them)

Also...do check what other artists will be there because often..they will say 'Bear stands'...but they could be vintage, manufacturer made, bear making supplies etc...so I'd need to know how many artists will be there before I booked. The more artists the better the fair ...thats' my take on it anyway.

Having said all of this one of my best fairs is a Doll and Bear but the organiser is careful about the ratio and the positioning....and it does work.

I agree with Daphne ..I'd look at the list of exhibitors and maybe contact one or two who've done it a few years running and ask them about it....

Good luck though!!!

Jenny

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

okay, thanks guys. I'm going to contact the organizer then and ask those questions. I knew I should be asking something, I just wasn't sure what.
Maybe if there are lots of tables left, I can talk them down in price and go just for the fun of it. Not worry about my profit.
When you guys do a show, do you go alone? With friends of hubby??
Again, thanks for the advice
Heather

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

My husband pretty much always tags along...he's good for fetching the coffees, carrying stuff  and moving the car after we've unloaded. My sister comes too sometimes...she comes to be nosey!! I always seem to have someone who wants to come...I even had one of the stylists I work with ask to come...

I don't mind who comes really...and I wouldn't mind going it alone either...it's just easier with two..

Jenny

Board footer