Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

bearyfun732 Cutiepie Bears

I want to try and sell, but im twelve, and my mom is my legal guardian, of course, so how would i approach my mom to ask her this?? and how would i provide a sensible reason for this? any profitable techniques or such? if u do, plese tell me. bear_laugh thx bear_wacko i get dizzy thinking about it!
oh, and how to make teddy clothes? im not very good...and when i use old clothes, and i cute them, the edges turn out frazzled.

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

How about starting at a local craft fair with your mum being the main seller?  You could offer her maybe 10% of any profit but being a mum she may not want that.  Or perhaps she could set you up with an eBay id or maybe you could ask her to join this forum and see what all of us like minded people do.  Good luck with what ever you decide.

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Hi bearyfun

I think your mum will be very proud of you.  bear_thumb

You don't say what country you are in, thats ok but each Country has different rules on how much you can earn before you pay tax (that the money the government takes to help pay for running the country) Now if you are in the UK, I can help you or your mum, as here we have to registered with the government if you intend to sell stuff. I know this sounds complicated but its not that hard. I registered my daughter at 14, so not much older than you.

PM me if that is easier, ok
Huggies
Sue xx

PS wasn't on earlier, been busy finishing my bear for a swop  bear_grin

ok...ill try both techniques. i live in the us, sue, by the way.

it didnt work.. bear_sad

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Hey :)

I started by doing a charity auction so I could gage what people were willing to pay for my sloths: maybe you could try that?  Unfortunately the auction I entered was through Bid4bears which is closing down... Ebay let you sell for charities though, if your mum would be happy to list for you?

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

There are ways.  Do some self promoting locally.  Get the word out that you make bears.  Carry one with you to show family members, friends, classmates, anyone and everyone.  Also carry pictures of perhaps a grouping of your bears.
Does your school hold bazaars or the like?
Are there any local shops that sell bears or things related to bears?  Or perhaps a cute little gift shop?  Show them your bears.  Maybe they'll do consignment.
There's lots you can do on your own. 
You can do it!!!
:hug:

hm...ill ask my mom. thx chloe+laura! bear_happy

Sheryl Tuckerbears
Colorado Springs, CO

Bearyfun, does your mom and dad work? Would they be willing to promote your bears there?

Also, does your school have a craft fair? Could you talk to your principal about maybe having one, every school needs to raise money for something? You could then have a booth for yourself. I work in an Elementary school and I organized out craft fair for years and got a free booth for all the work I put into it.

I would be interested in seeing your bears if you could post one, it would give me a better idea of what kind of market you would be into.

Another good idea is you could make them for your friends as birthday/christmas gifts and that helps spread the word.

Hope this helps!

my mom and dad work as piano teacher and a..er..person who works with computers. oh, and i am twelve, so i go to a middle school. they dont have craft fairs. oh, and my bear is on my blog. (in forums)

Sheryl Tuckerbears
Colorado Springs, CO
bearyfun732 wrote:

my mom and dad work as piano teacher and a..er..person who works with computers. oh, and i am twelve, so i go to a middle school. they dont have craft fairs. oh, and my bear is on my blog. (in forums)

I saw your bears and I think you have a wonderful talent! Since your school does not have a craft fair, why don't you bring it up to someone and see if you can get one going. Like I said, schools are always wanting to raise money. Craft fairs bring in a great deal renting spaces!

i dont know..im kinda the shy type. bear_ermm

Sheryl Tuckerbears
Colorado Springs, CO

I understand you being shy honey, but learn at an early age to go for what you want. Stand up for yourself and go for it. It never ever hurts to ask, or talk to someone... a teacher, another friend to help you, anyone who can make your dreams come true. Remember this is your dream and no one can make it happen except you. You are in control of your future.  bear_thumb
If they say no, well at least you tried... but don't let it stop you from trying in the future! GO FOR YOUR DREAM! :dance:

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

I completely agree with Sheryl.
When I was 12 I was so shy nothing came out of my mouth when I tried to speak.  So I stopped trying.  And my shyness took over my life.
I needed a push, and a shot of confidence.  I missed out on so much.
So, tell your shyness to step aside and, as Sheryl said, well everything Sheryl said.  Especially, GO FOR YOUR DREAM!
  :hug:

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Beary Fun 732, would your town library be interested in displaying a few of your teddy bears, if you would do some research, locate a few books about teddy bears that children would like to check out during the summer reading program, and they could put these together in a display case, to encourage them to sign up for your town's Summer Reading Program?

It wouldn't hurt to ask them - Now! - and have one or 2 of your Best & Most Favorite bears in your pocket to show them, when you talk to the Librarians! (Ask to speak with the Head Librarian or the Program Director) They do have to plan months ahead for their programs so it's not too early to start.

If they say No now, then ask if you could work on a Back-To-School display, to be posted during August.

Be persistent!! We Teddy Bear Artists get told No many many times and while we never get used to it, we do know that what we do is IMPORTANT, for ourselves and for others, to bring Smiles and Bear Hugs, so just put on your best smile and keep asking.

When people tell you , "No, not this time." - keep sewing, keep improving and KEEP Asking!! You will wear them down with your persistence and they will soon say Yes!

Then it's time to call your local newspaper, to tell them about the appearance your work will have, and ask to have it in the local Features section of the paper.
12 and 13 year old bear artists are VERY unusual; we are all certain they will let you submit an article on you and your work if it is on public display!!

Have someone help you take good, clear, sharply-in-focus, close-up pictures in black and white of your work, and you will have your first free publicity - a VERY Good Thing to begin to collect. SAVE them!

Bobbie

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I made a lot of jewelry when I was ten. I loaded everything up in my wagon and went door to door in my neighborhood. My dad went with me. People went bananas for homemade crafts and I sold tons of it. If a kid came to my door today with something handmade I would be all over it. I get tired of buying cookies, candybars and junk from the local school fundraisers.

nimbleknot: seriously?? bear_grin that should be interesting to look into. im twelve, though..so it probably wont have as much of an effect...

rkr4cds: hm..ill try that. probably take a lot of begging, though..haha

danceswithteddybears: ill certainly try!  bear_original

sheryl: ok bear_laugh

anyone else??

kerrenmorris K M Bears
UK
Website

Hi,
Your blogg has been removed so I cannot see your bear, It is great that you are making bears and feel ready to sell them. I was very nervous when I started to sell bears 12 years ago. Are there any bear shops where you live or toy shops that might take your bears to sell?
You can post on this site under bears and other critters for sale, if you do you would have to tell the buyer you are in the USA, and you would need the cheque plus p&p made payable in USD.
Please don’t give out your details i.e. address to anyone you don’t feel comfortable with it may be a good idea not to tell your age. Make sure its OK with your parents before you post I’m just being cautious because I have children of a similar age too. 
Hope this helps Beary best wishes Kerren

Board footer