Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

flowersm Fur-Ree Bears and Friends
Website

Hi

Need some advice please - having a go at needlefelting my first nose on a mohair bear - how do you tame those little straggly bits they're only small but very annoying?

Can see this bear having a HUGE nose lol.

Advice much appreciated.

Marie. bear_grin

WoozieJu Woozie Ju Bears
North Walsham
Website

Hi Marie,
I don't think I do my noses the conventional way as I mostly complete them on my "sponge" first to get the basic shape before putting them on the bear as I find it easier. As far as the small straggly bits are concerned, I find the best way is just to keep very lightly stabbing at them so that they gradually get tucked in but don't actually change the shape of the overall nose?
I hope this helps & best of luck!
Hugs,
Julia x

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I just trim them off.  If they won't behave and tuck in, they are gone.

Joanne

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

I agree with Joanne I trim off the bits or I take a glass of water and wet my fingers and rub it gently till they all disappear it gives a bit smoother look as well

AussieFelts AussieFelts
South Australia

If you stab your felting needle almost parallel to the surface, you'll be able to catch the stray fibres and it will hide them but for the most part you'll always have the strays.  Like Joanne, I take a pair of scissors and trim them away...then I go over the surface again with the felting needle, trim again and the go over the surface with the needle again.  The strays on my felted critters are pretty minimal after that.  bear_original  Please don't pay any attention to how fuzzy the koala is in my picture on the left....that is a very early piece of work...must do something about changing that.  :crackup:  Current pieces are no where near as fuzzy.  bear_grin

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I hate those strays!
I know one woman who uses a little craft iron on them. I haven't tried that.
Soap and warm water (and scissors) work for me.

flowersm Fur-Ree Bears and Friends
Website

Hi

Thank you very much for the advice - I will have a go tonight - nearly stabbed myself last night whilst watching TV, something made me scream out and nearly got my fingers   :crackup:

Hugs
Marie

Pat Klein Faux Paw Bears
Tallahassee, Florida

I trim them with my little electric shaver...

Pat

nealabear Teddy's Treasure Chest
Toronto

Hi Everyone:
I recently did a felted nose on one of my bears.  At the same time I discovered nose gloss (the liquid).  After felting the nose as firmly as I could I used a bit of the nose gloss on it and let it dry.  I then put on a second coat.  While I did't get the glossy look I did have one thing happen.  No more fuzzies.  All the little short ends that just won't felt in disappeared and the nose looks really good now without the fuzzies.  Hope this helps

Neala

Plum Cottage Bears Plum Cottage Bears
Long Beach, CA

Plum Cottage Bears Cute Animal Ambassador

Where do you buy nose gloss?

nealabear Teddy's Treasure Chest
Toronto

I bought it on ebay but I know that some of the supply companies stock it as well.  I believe that Gerry's Teddy & Craft Design in Australia has it under the name Nose Shine. Hope this helps

teddy.co.za Chiane Bears
648 Harney Rd, Kei Mouth, 5260

I have used Ponal wood glue, it is water based, and looks white, but dries clear, apply the first coat with a brush, allow it to dry in the sun, then apply the next layers until you get the gloss you require.

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

I always use Gerry's Teddy & Craft Designs' Nose Shine and it's fab I have to say bear_original Needle-felting is not my forte as I still need more practice but I usually trim away the fuzzies too - and nose shine really helps it to look finished off but the wool has to be very tight other wise the nose shine tends to make the needle-felted nose sink ~ especially if you do over 3 coats. On embroidered noses I do up to 5 coats of nose shine depending on how "bling" I want my bear to look LOL. Gotta say I just hate that new word "bling" but I keep using it?!  :crackup:

Board footer