Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I'm totally new to mohair, and I've ordered Intercal's sample sets so I can have all the different types 'on hand' as it were to see what I like and don't like...and especially so I can get a grip on all these letters and numbers.   bear_wacko

But do any of you have favorite 'brands' of mohair?  Like a preference for Hembolt, or Schulte, or ???   bear_flower

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I have a couple brands and I have to say Shulte bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Well, I probably don't need to tell you as I'm not shy about saying that I am a Schulte Queen (someone just told me today that 'Queen' is a much better term than 'snob', Thank you!!!).

I could go on and on about how soft, shiny, luxurious and simply wonderful Schulte kid mohairs are. And all the different styles for that matter all have a shine and lusture to their color. I don't have to wash Schulte before I can use it as I do others. The backing isn't too stiff, it's tight none the less and doesn't fray easily as with others.

The color selection is fantastic and Edingburgh's website, to me, is very easy to navigate so my whle buying experience is fun and simple. The pricing is very good too. Did I mention their mohair is the softest?

I suppose it all comes down to personal preferrence but it'll be intersting to hear what others say. Honesty is a good thing here, despite the fact that we are on Intercal's website. I do use Intercal's mohair too when I can't get what I want from Schulte. And if I recall, doesn't Intercal have a small selection of Schulte?

bear_grin  Daphne

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

jayla.jpgkaylee.jpgI like Schulte because of the thickness, the shine, softness and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the backing!  It doesnt fray, as Daphne said bear_original  I really like the kid Schulte mohair that I bought from Daphne... that is what Kaylee is made of... and Jayla is made of Schulte also

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I have used Schulte the most and do LOVE it!  I have just started using some from Intercal for variety.... and I tell ya... if you massage some Mane & Tail hair conditioner in the wet mohair, rinse and let dry... Oh My Gosh how soft!!

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I like Schulte the best.  I used Intercal when I first started and did the washing routine with it to help shrink the backing.   I am not a happy camper when I get a head completly stuffed and see the stuffing through the backing.
Donna

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Man, I still have yet to try Schulte. I usually just use the stuff here at Intercall, because it's cheap and I just can't pay $300 a yard for mohair, bec. I know I'll get hooked. Then my mohair stash would be much smaller.
I did trade and get a few small pieces of Schulte. It is nice and thick. Doesn't shed as easily as some of the stuff I have.

.....ummmmm...shed??  Is this a problem with mohair? 

Do I have to fray check everything with mohair, or is it just something that I'll have to keep an eye out for?  How do I know if I have to fray check it?  See...I told you I know nothing about mohair  bear_wacko 

BUT my package arrived from Intercal today ~ whoohooo!!!  And Johnna is sooooo nice, she's even included extra fabrics for me to play with  bear_flower   

One more question.. if you can tolerate it... somewhere on here, I saw someone's mohair samples hanging from a big ring attached to their desk.  I'd LOVE to do that too.  My pieces are, well pieces.  I know they sold three ring binders?? (is that right?) with the samples.  Is that some sort of ring to put into the mohair so you can place them on the big ring (like keys off a keyring?)??  I'd like to have them in some semblance of an order so I can see what's offered and to get my hands on it...

bear_whistle Okay, I'll quit my questions for now, and just listen...  :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Debbie,
Fraycheck: I don't have to on Schulte mohair. But if you wash your mohair it does soften the backing and Intercals mohair has a looser back so you'd need to keep an eye out for fraying. Be sure to use a generous 1/4" seam allowance to avoid this problem on Intercal mohair.

3-Ring Binder: This is a note book with clear plastic pages with slots on each page for you to tuck the samples you got into. The pages are held into the note book on 3 rings in the binding of the notebook. Kind of like a baseball card album for mohair! I use one for Intercal samples and one for Edinburgh.

I do recall someone having their samples on a large ring (Shelli, perhaps) and I think this is a great idea. You can buy the big rings at an office supply place or hardware store and could use the eyelets and gun to pop them in with which you could get at a craft supply place or even a scrapbook supply shop.

I'm thinking back to just about 6 years ago when I started making bears.... I had to figure most all of this out on my own! How great for the newer artists to have this forum!

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I use Shulte mohair 99% of the time on my bears .. I love the feel and the fact that it doesn't fray too much if at all ... it is wonderful to work with

Bev College Place, WA

The problem with backing is so old! 20 years ago I had problems with Intercals backing but not any longer. Yes Schulte is nice but Intercal has alot of very nice mohairs and much better priced. You don't have to buy in large lots to get a fair price, and they are much nicer to you at Intercal. But you should try both if you are unsure.  Bev

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I just buy mine on ebay so far so I havent dealt with Intercal or other companies... bear_original

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

My only experience with mohair has been Intercals and I've been quite happy with it.   I do like that you can buy the pre-paks from Intercal which has been nice in terms of getting started and finding what I like.  I have, however,  decided to try some Schulte mohair because I've heard such wonderful things about it and I have a few bears that were made with it and they are incredibly soft and cuddly.  Of course $$$ is always an issue especially for some of us who are just starting out  bear_rolleyes

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm with you, Bev . . . I love Intercal fur!  bear_wub   bear_wub   bear_wub  I don't have any problems with it and I do have experience with Schulte fur.  I fray check ALL opening edges, no matter whose fur it is.  Intercal's prices and customer service are the very best, so I don't think they can be beat!   bear_thumb   bear_thumb

Dilu Posts: 8,574

OK ladies, I have to add my 2 cents

Schulte's nice, but I also use Hembold and Norton, well when Norton was still Norton.  And I love them.  The new one I just got and am using for a chalange bear is every bit as beautiful as any I have ever seen in the Schulte line.  Ask Sue Ann- she loves it too.

I don't have a problem with fraying, and have to admidt that I am surprised you guys do.  I don't use fray check unless I have too because of the smell and I have a parrot right by me watching everything I do.  (you know birds are so suceptible to odors and I would just die if I killed her by using too much of a toxic odor thing by her cage.  Yikes!)

I triple stitcvh my heads, its a button on my machine, and I never have any eviserating....When I sew limbs I use a regular stitch, 2.5 with a slightly tighter tension.  No eviserating there either. 

I have never been dissappointed in anything I have ever purchased from Intercal.  You simply can not beat the service, and they give such good value.  (And if you aren't sure, Call, Johnna can talk you through anything- she knows the product inside and out!)

Yes, E has sales but I find that Intercal's over all pricing policies to be easier to work into my buying schedule. 

For instance I hate having to wait  when I need black long 2-3" to go on sale when I need to do golly heads.....so I just plan on buying full yards to get the bigger discount.

I have done some reading at the websites for the various mohair producers and believe that both companies, as well as Grizzley ( which is harder to find) maintain a high work ethic and integrity in their products.  They want us to love their products so they certainly aren't going to produce inferior stoffe.

One thing I love about Intercal is the diversity-there are so many different stylesof mohair.  When I first started I printed up their catalog so that I could study it and learn what the different styles are and then put the fabric I bought to the description in the catalog.  There was a lot to learn- and I still don't know as much as I would like.

BUT

If you want thick and luxureous you don't by distressted semi-sparse.  bear_grin

There are pluses for both companies, just as there are styles of mohair that you might not like.  You just have to know what you are purchasing. 

I really appreciate the pictures that Intercal includes and have been known to go back and forth between various teddies studying the way the fur falls and lies and how it catches the light.  It tells me alot about the fabric and if it something I can use.

A lot of my smaller bears 4-6" are made from Norton distressed or Hembold and  I didn't have any problems with fraying.  I might if I went to the 2" bears, but that's what Sassy is for. 

It's fine to be partial to one product and a devotee, but I would really like to encourage you ladies to also try some of the Hembold.  If you are careful in your choices I would be willing to bet that you would be surprised at how comperable the fabrics are to each other.

The ladies in the little bear group here were all "Schulte Snobs" until I bought a couple yards of Hembold for a class they were going to have.  I got lucky, it was on a real sale $69 +  instead of $200+ and they were delighted. 

Unfortunetly I can't convince them to go online and look at what is offered.  Computer phobics.  sigh

HOWEVER, and here's the part I would like you to really hear, when I placed the new fabric, uncut next to some of the Schulte's hanging in Sherryls cupboard they could not tell the differance.

So, yes buy quality, but buy wisely as well.... Especially if you are making a business out of this bear thing.

hugs to one and all

dilu

PS  hello Bev....you are very new here.....I guess I better head over to the introduce yourself forum.

But Welcome!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Felted-bears-004.jpgI'm with you Sue Ann.  Intercal's mohair and alpaca is fabulous. In fact, I have not found any alpaca longer and thicker anywhere else.  I have been very pleased with the quality and customer service at Intercal.  If you need any help at all making a selection, just call them and Johnna will help you.  I have a big box of mohair from Intercal just waiting to come to life.  I can't wait to get started!

I just want to share with everyone a photo of m first experience with Intercal's mohair.  This bear is called Kenai.  The gold mohair is the softest I have felt  It took my breath away when I opened the box...and I have worked with a  lot of different mohair.  The balance is a mohair that is so unique it looks like it was sheared right from the angora goat.  I have had such good expereinces with Intercal and their products....if you have not tried thier mohair you really are missing out on some great stuff.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

The Intercal advisors have spoken!!!  bear_grin   bear_grin   bear_grin   bear_wub   bear_wub

I have yet to try Intercal's alpaca... glad you mentioned it, Judi, as I think I'll give it a try! Compare the two companies. Then we'll see if I'm as much a Sculte Alpaca Queen as I am a Schulte Mohair Queen or not!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Daphne, Yes..definitely try it.  I went wild when I opened my box from Intercal.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hiya Daphne  :hug: .....

has nothing to do with being and "Intercal Advisor" honey, I have been consistent since the begining, before I was an advisor, and I (sometimes  unfortunetly) tend to say what's on my heart and mind.  :redface: 

I believe Intercal gives me the same great quality for better value, and I do have to watch my spending money, just like everyone else here.... bear_wacko

I would like to encourage the folks who haven't tried Intercal in awhile to give it a go.....you might be surprised  bear_wub

hugs to all

Especially you Debbie D ; its hard being new, but ask your questions and you'll get more answersd than you know what to do with~!

dilu

:doh:  I didn't mean to start any wars or anything, and I don't want anyone squished for saying their likes or dislikes....I just want people to say "I've had experience with X" or "this one performs better if you wash and set" or "be sure to watch for fraying/shedding with Z".  I don't mind having to look for things and compensating...its just nice to have a heads up. 

Yes, Daphne...I'm SURE I've got it much easier with my mohair ventures since I've got all you lovely ladies with experience to tell me what to look for!  :hug:

It must've been Shelli's idea that I saw of the samples hanging from the ring then, because it looked like each sample had a plastic 'hole' and it was threaded onto what looked like a shower curtain ring.  I must say it was very handy looking to have each and every sample right there at your fingertips.

I'm just now dabbling with mohair after working with real fur, and my most important criteria is TOUCH.  I've always been a real fur fanatic, so mohair has a lot to measure up to.  I will say, I've all ready stroked the alpaca samples from Intercal...and been mightily impressed!!   bear_wub  I think this is one fabric I will come to treasure. 

I do want to order samples from Edinburgh as well, but I've had a booger of a time on their website.  I keep trying to type in samples, mohair samples in their search engine, but I come up with mini kits and felt pieces???  I did look at the mohair sections, but its just too overwhelming.  Perhaps another day .... 

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and especially your pictures!!!   bear_wub  :hug:

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Great topic everyone!!!!  :clap:

Being in Australia, since postage costs are so high, I'm restricted to buy mohair within Australia. I have two choices, either Schulte mohair from Gerrys or Helmbold from Beary Cheap.

I have only tried Helmbold once - that was with Kid Mohair.  Not terribly cheap, and I wasn't very impressed with it.   The mohair only had slight curl, and it was kind of fly away and very dry... So, it's put me off Helmbold!

SO, I stick with what I love, Schulte!  I also fray check every closings, because i have found it is sooo much easier to pull tight.  The tummies on my bear are umm.... rather round LOL, so they are hard enough to close without making a mess of the backing, and having your knot going through the back..  Since I've been doing that, I've had such an easier time with closings.   :doh:

I have to say I have never purchased internationally... However, I have decided to buy some threads internationally because we don't have a good range of colours here in Oz.  I WAS going to purchase from Intercal - however they don't have the bulk discounts that Edinburgh offer for both eyes and threads that I'm buying.  Since I'm watching my $$$ I have to buy where it suits me better. 

I have to say so far I'm very unimpressed with Edinburgh's service - I emailed to ask when it's likely to ship, and I haven't heard from them.  I know it's a busy season, but an email doesn't take very long.  I have also emailed them in the past and never got a response.  Having said that, I had on one occassion to email Intercal, and I got a response right away, so I just wish I could have place my order with them instead.  In the end though, the mighty dollar wins.

I think it's all personal preference - buy with what you feel is right for you.  If you feel Schulte is too expensive, or you like the service better that Intercal offers, go with them!!!  I just love Schulte mohair, and I am happy with Gerrys, so I stick to where I'm happy.  Gerrys also offers a fantastic set of two folders filled with mohair, synthetic, and paw pad samples.  Something I think really helped me when I got started in bears!

Danni

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

I have used Norton, Hembold and Schulte and had a good experience with all of them.   I always fray check them all and have not had any problems with any of them. Schulte is my favorite but I use the others more often because Intercal makes them more affordable by offering end pieces and prepacks.  I use them a lot for that reason.  I like the way Intercal has the gallery of bears made with the different mohairs so I can get an idea on how it will look made up.  I buy the schulte when it is on special and sometimes wait weeks for the fur I want to go on sale. I usually buy the fur not the brand name and have found them all to be lovely.

Sandi

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

When I need more mohair (I won two big bags of it on ebay), I will have to ask for suggestions from you gals... I like full thick mohair or, what I think is alpaca, in this bunch of mohair I got... I dont like sparse, I dont think it "works" with my bears, they look better furry LOL.... but I dont know about other brands as I only have had two pieces of mohair that have had the "brand" on them....

I would buy buy buy lotsa mohair if I could but I dont have the mulah!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
Dilu wrote:

Hiya Daphne  :hug: .....

has nothing to do with being and "Intercal Advisor" honey, I have been consistent since the begining, before I was an advisor, and I (sometimes  unfortunetly) tend to say what's on my heart and mind.  :redface:

Dilu-
You and Judi and I were posting at about the same time. I hadn't even seen your post when I commented on the Intercal Advisors. I just had to chuckle but was not at all surprised by Sue Ann and Judi's preferences. No big deal at all as their bears are all just wonderful so the mohair they use works for them! That's what this is all about.....

Interesting the feedback on the different brands ladies. Anyone keeping score?  bear_tongue  I'm kidding!  bear_laugh  It was a joke!  bear_grin  REALLY! Hey, if everyone liked Schulte, Intercal wouldn't be in business and we wouldn't all be here!! So go Hembold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  bear_thumb

:hug:    :hug:    :hug:

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Several years ago I sold Haida mohair.  Has anyone tried it?  I know Disco Joints and Teddies purchased the mohair from the supplier in the States. 
Donna

Board footer