Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I woke up to Sky News, a sister of Fox News Channel, and heard your horrible horrible news. 

I am so terribly sorry.

It is ghastly, and the shock and pain to everyone in England will have no bounds and really, no solace.

My prayers, truly heartfelt prayers, go out to all in your country.  I pray that your leaders, and Mr. Blair, will be strong and lead you through this tragedy, in a levelheaded fashion.

(but then you Brits are known for levelheadedness, thank goodness)

Be safe, Jane, Penny, Rita, all,

Most sincerely

Diane

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Thanks Di, we are all in shock here. These terrorists need to be stopped! All day the TV has been on and every station is covering London. So many people have died and been injured. The devastation these evil creatures cause around the world is unbelievable. We all knew that it would happen here one day but it was a shock when it did.  Yesterday we were all celebrating getting the 2012 olympics now we are grieving for all caught up in the terrorist attack.
We receive your prayers and add them to the thousands that we are receiving. We are a resilient lot and will see our way through this. In 2001 we all said God Bless America, today it is God Bless England.

Jane

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Bless you Diane.  As you say, we're a tough bunch and whilst the shock is daunting, it is of course 'business as usual' here in the UK, once time has been taken to think about those who have lost loved ones.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I was sleeping on the sofa last night after exhausting myself to sleep with tears (long story short:  matriarch kitty Emme, 10 years, was at the ER as of 10pm and needs to be put to sleep due to incurable lymphoma.) 

I awoke from my puffy-eyed slumber to news flashes on the (still-on) television.  Shades of 9/11.  I remember that day, and how we all sat fixated on the television screen, hardly able to believe the news.

I was so saddened to hear that now the UK must deal with this same loss, devastation, recovery, shock, incredulity, and fear.

I hope with all my heart that you, and all of your loved ones, escaped this latest tragic and unnecessary attack on innocent life physically unharmed.  I'll be keeping you, and all of your fellow citizens, close to my thoughts and heart.

Peace and hugs,

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh, Shelli . . . I'm so sorry about the news of your kitty.  Pets are such a huge part of our families and it's SO painful to have to let one go.  We've been through your situation many, many times and the latest death is as painful as the first one.  I will be thinking of you, my friend.  Big hugs,

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Aw, thank you.  I am very sad and, perhaps unbelievably, this is the very first death of someone close to me that I've ever dealt with -- so it's particularly hard to know what to do with all these feelings surrounding death. I only had one grandparent alive in my lifetime and she lived across the country, so I never really knew her.  And my parents are both still alive and kicking (my mom, by the way, has worsened COPD, but her CAT scan was cancer-free.  I'm so relieved; thanks to all of you for your good thoughts!)  Anyway, my rambling point is that it's especially hard to decide what the "right thing to do" might be for Emme, when all this "death stuff" is so foreign to me in the first place.

As hard as it all is, though, and it IS unbelievably hard (Emme saw me thru a divorce and remarriage and relocation from the home town I've known all my life to my new one, Chico), it was all put in perspective for me when I awoke to see how very much worse, how much more devastating, today COULD HAVE BEEN, had I been in any way associated with what London is experiencing at this time.  So in some ways, I feel better and more "useful", I guess, focusing on the enormous pain and required healing energy directed OUTWARD toward our European friends, instead of just focusing on my own hard time today.

I'll take Emme in at 3:30 for a last hug and to hold her while saying goodbyes but in that, I'm very,very lucky; no one in London had that same opportunity to kiss loved ones goodbye before this morning's bombings. 

As sad as I am for me and for Emme, I'm more sad for the countless families across the Atlantic, and for the enormity of that loss.

Thanks so much for the very kind words...

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Thanks everyone for all your thoughts for England.  Although living in Belgium, I am British and my family live near to London.  I was so shocked when I turned the tv on and saw all the images, I was straight onto the phone and luckily neither my Dad nor brother were in London today.  Although my brother and his wife are due to go to London tomorrow via Kings Cross, so they feel somewhat shakey.  My love and thoughts go to everyone there, just as they do to you Shelli and Emmi.

Bear Hugs,
Catherine

www.bumpkinbears.com

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Shelli,

I want to try to get my message to you across in the right way and hopefully be of some encouragement. 

I too never really had to deal with death of a loved one most of my life.  When I was 27 my mother died of cancer (its hard to believe but that will be 20 years ago in September).  When she was in the hospital dying I stayed in the waiting area most of the time.  I would step into the room for just a minute and right back out.  I was so afraid of seeing her die.  I beat myself up for years and years after because of that.  Then came the time when we had to have our dog put down.  I told myself that I would never again leave a dying loved one like I did my mom.  I held the dog while the injection was given.  It really was just like he went to sleep peacefully.  Just a couple years ago my grandmother was dying and I was able to be with her without being consumed by fear.  I don't mean to say that the pain of the loss is gone, but there is a certain peace I have.  I believe God has taught me a lot over the years.  I hope I could be of some help for you in these tough times.

My prayers are with the British people.  We can understand accidents, but I just cannot understand, and will never understand the senseless taking of innocent lives.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I'm sorry to hear about Emme Shelli - it's tough to go through, but it is the last act of kindness a good owner can perform for a loved pet.  You have my sympathies; it's something I've been through myself a couple of times quite recently and I know how heart achingly sad it makes you feel.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I think this was meant for me to find today and I would like to share it with you.......

And if I go while you're still here...

Know that I will live on,
Vibrating to a different measure
behind a thin veil you cannot see through.

You will not see me,
so you must have faith.

I wait the time when we can soar togetheragain,
both aware of each other.

Until then, live your life to the fullest.
And when you need me,
just whisper my name with your heart,
...................I will be there.

Bless you guys, HUGS,
Judi

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

So sorry Shelli to hear about your Kitty! Our Dalmation Michah is also sick. She is 12 years old and seems to not be well. She will not eat and for her that is one sure sign things are not good. We are taking her to the vet tonight and I pray she will be OK. She is my little buddy. We love her so! Hugs and a good cry is needed in a case like this.

Hugs and Kisses
Louise and Garnet

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

I was really saddened to hear of the terrorist attack on London and what some people can do to others. Just so hard to believe that there are people out there that could think of such a thing.
It gave us the same sickening feeling, as  like September 11th.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you all and let's hope that these people can be caught and be made
accountable for what they have done.

Also Shelli I was really sorry to hear of your dear kitty Emme, it is never easy and I kow what it is like.
We had a German Shephard Max who had got very old and needed to be put down and was terribly
hard for us all, but the kindest to him in the end.
Peace and love to you all
Sincerely Carolyn

www.draffinbears.com

Millie,

Your mother's death taught you something so incredibly important, and I am betting she knows that you learned the lesson well.  You are right, no one we love should die alone.  Nothing needs to be said, but a hand held can make all the difference.

My first year of nursing I worked in a small small community hospital.  A very old lady was there that I remembered from Sunday mass.  She was dying.  She asked me to call the local priest.  I did and he refused to come the half mile to the hospital.  It was Good Friday and he had services to conduct.  Even though she had been a 'good catholic' all her life.  I was devastated, not being able to believe that he refused 'extreme unction'......

I worked the night shift.  so I told her I would get my rosary after rounds and everyone was buttoned up for the night and I would come back and we could say the rosary together. 

I started at 10pm.  It can take 45 min. to do the rosary all the way through.  I got interupted many many times for various things and would come back and we would pick up where we left off.  Around 4 am I actually dozed off.  When I awoke, this dear sweet lady was still waiting.

When later we finished, she smiled and closed her eyes. 

Then she took a deep breathe-

and then she died.

Peacefully, quietly, serenely.

But she wasn't alone. 

I wasn't her first choice,  Nor probably her second or third or fourth.  I was her only choice however, and together we saw this through.

Death has always been a big part of my nursing practise.  Not because I wanted it, but because.

She taught me.  That just by saying a rather simple prayer, sitting with her and holding her hand, I was able to give her what she needed to finish her life cycle.  That this was as important as medicine and fancy technology.

Millie you would not believe how many people never learn what you have learned, and because they don't, people they love do not have as easy a transition as they might have had.

I am so proud of you that you learned this, it was the last, but perhaps the most important thing your mom ever taught you.  Dying is a continuation of living and what is life without love?

Yours,

Di

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi Shelli, big hugs to you! Emme will always have a special place in your heart. Just remember the good times and hold on to the lovely memories of her.
Louise I hope that Michah will be OK and that the vet can make her well again.
Thank all of you for your kind thoughts for the people caught up in the London terrorist attack. Here in the UK we have all been glued to the TV praying that the attack is over and sadly hearing the reports of the injuries and even more sad the fatalities of the poor souls caught in the bombings.Let us all hope that these people soon are caught and brought to justice.

Jane

Shelli

Our furbabies can be as important in our lives as our friends and for some of us more important that our blood family.  Therefore, it is not surprising the depths of your grief.  I am so so sorry.  It hurts and there is no way around that pain.  And it seems to happen all too often with our little furbabies, because their life span is so much shorter. 
I think your outward focusing is wonderful, and I dare say, a healthy way for you to incorporate your own grief. 

I'll be thinking of you tonight, when loss seems the hardest....rest well.

Di

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli-and-Emme.jpgI think you ladies are miracle workers, because Emme is still here with me.  There isn't much hope it will last for longer than a day, but while the ER vet was very convinced that Emme is probably incurable (her metabolic panels are totally normal as is her urine, ruling out diabetes; kidney or liver failure; or hyperthyroidism, and thus indicating severe disease -- probably intestinal lymphoma), our "regular" vet -- who I just saw today at 3:30 to end her misery --  really wanted to do further diagnostics (ultrasound) tomorrow morning before making the final life-or-death decision.  All of this, on the off-chance that she has something more treatable, like a severe case of pancreatitis.

In the meantime, I'm delighted to have her for one more night!  I splurged and opened an entire can of chicken for her, which -- miracle of miracles -- she actually ate about a teaspoon of!  That, combined with her IV hydration last night, leaves her looking much perkier. 

I'm trying not to be falsely hopeful about her prognosis, though, because this renewed perkiness is all a mask for her weakness due to excessive vomiting and total disinterest in food.  And she's lost about five pounds; for a cat, that's a huge percentage of her body weight.  Plus, she's still posturing in ways that indicate abdominal pain.  The vet said she's definitely critical and that if we can't figure out what's wrong with her definitively by tomorrow, the next stop, barring treatment, is obvious... and sad.

The good news, tho, is that we do get her for this one more night; something that I didn't get to indulge either myself, or Emme, in, when we rushed her to the vet yesterday at 10pm.  I had no idea at the time she might not be coming home.

So thanks again, for your very kind thoughts about my kitty and me.  I think they gave me the gift of one more day with her.  I'm still very worried (and fairly convinced) that we're nearing the end, but it's such a blessing to just have that little bit more time, and I admit it feels good to have the extra reassurance that I'm doing every last thing I can to ensure I'm making the right decision.

I'm attaching a picture of me and Emme, taken about two years ago in my home.

PS  While I was writing this, Emme just ate a little more chicken, drank a little water... and then threw up twice.  <sigh>

I really am so grateful for your friendship and handholding thru this hard time; you're every one of you, absolutely appreciated.  THANK YOU.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Two BEAUTIFUL ladies!!  So very glad you have another night with dear little Emme.  She looks a lot like a black cat we had for 19 years!  If it does come to having to put her down . . . we're all right here for you, giving you a huge virtual hug.

Shelli how is it possible you are so beautiful!  My goodness....and that wonderful spirit of yours shines right through those beautiful eyes.  I am glad you get another night.....I hope for more...

Dilu

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

You're both very sweet, but do remember:  PhotoShop is my plastic surgeon, and I LOVE him!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

I hear this horrible news at late last night.
To England friends, I am terribly sorry for this
horrible horrible thing.
From the bottom of my heart, I hope our prayers
go out to your country.

My prayers to Emme and Michah too.
Shelli, I believe Emme feel your family's deep love and
trying to stay this world. Thank you for Emme's picture, she looks so happy in the pics.     

Millie, I am so sorry that you have lost your mom when
you are only 27. I might did the same thing if I lost
my mom at the age. I belive your mom can hear
you sharing your story to us, and thank you for
telling us.

Love, Marie

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Yes, and once again grabbing some focus outside of my own little cat-reltaed circle of fear and pain, like everyone I also wanted to add my specific thanks to Millie for sharing her story.  I don't think you "left" your mom, Millie, as much as felt afriad she was leaving you.  And I'm sure she loved you for that kind of devotion and care -- no matter the form it took -- and understood it all along.

Hugs,

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

I am so sorry to hear about your kitty bear_sad  I'm hoping there will be a miricle, hang in there!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

OKay, ladies, I'm not responsible for typos as it's  really hard to see through the tears.....

I cried earlier today for London.... knowing the tube station where the bomb went off rather well I could picture it all in my mind... I still have yet to see pictures.... Of course it brought 9-11 to mind instantly which came with another whole realm of emotions that still get me at times. I just feel awful that we haven't been able to stop these monsters yet and I'm sorry that our friends have to suffer.

By the way, a little side note, did you all know that former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani was in London when this attack happened? How dreadful to have to experience such a thing again!!

Shelli - you are so blessed not to have experienced the death of anyone close to you. My first experience was at the age of 12 when our 14 yr. old dog was put to sleep - my parents didn't tell me until after the fact (did it while I was staying a friend's) so I never got to say good-bye to the dog I'd known all my life. Then my best friend died when we were 14 and I've lost relatives including both grandfathers and two very good friends and my best friend's mother since. And I had to put my bunny down - he'd seen me through a divorce as well and a move back to my home town. It doesn't matter whether it's human or pet... I don't find it gets any easier. But you come to know how it's going to feel/hurt and that you will eventually feel better and always have memories. Thank God for memories - they are so very dear and can never be taken away!

My prayers go out to all of us, that we'll have the strength to see each other as well as ourselves through personal trials as well as worldly circumstances.

"God Bless Us, Everyone!"

Love & Hugs,
Daphne

clare14 Country Bears
England

Hello ALL!!

It has been a roller coaster of a week here in the UK - what with getting the Olympics one day then losing precious lives the next...........scary as both my brothers were on the underground just hours before this happened..........my heart goes out to those families............

Brings you back down to earth with a bump hey...................??

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Clare . . . SO glad your brothers weren't involved in that mayhem created by the terrorists!!  All so sad and  SO unnecessary!

Board footer