Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Pages:
SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hey, Teddy Talkers!!  I have been most fortunate to get some sample fur pieces from Intercal that they are considering for their inventory.  I made the samples into bears and would like some feedback from all of you as to whether you would be interested in buying this fur if Intercal stocked it.  So . . . after viewing the sample fur, if you would be so kind as to post your feelings about whether it should be available at Intercal, they and I would appreciate your input.  Also, if you would like to see these furs in more colors, post that, too.  Thanks very much in advance.

Avalon.jpg  AvalonHeadshot.jpg

Avalon (22") is made from 2" long golden tan mohair.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

This next sample is a short black/white "frosted" look mohair/viscose blend.  This is Frostee, an anime style bear and 12 3/4 inches.

Frostee.jpg   Frostee%20Headshot.jpg

Dilu Posts: 8,574

How long is that fur?  3" ? does it come in black.....oh oh oh

yes.....I would LOVE to have some for gollygeewhizzikins hair!
If it comes in black....

Now you didn't say what it was like to work with....was it difficult like really long ugh Synthetic?  Or was it ok like good mohair or was it worth the trouble like recycled fur?

This is an important consideration.  Also whats the backing like?  Is it a nice tight weave?

OK so to sum it up:

I would use it for golly hair in black no matter what....hard or easy to work with

For bears I would probably use it if it wasn't aS UGGY synthetic.

Hugs to you and Intercal!

love the bear-too too cute...

Hey Intercal people- I'll make a sample golly for you if it comes in black!

Dilu

Oh 2  inches long.....still goes.....see above.

Dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

The last sample is tipped in two colors.  As it was explained to me . . . the basic brown color was tipped in white and then red.  Makes a really nice effect!  Marble is 14 inches and says "Yippee, I've been born"!!

Marble.jpg  MarbleHeadshot.jpg

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Dilu, yes, the long mohair has a nice, tight backing on it.  It wasn't as hard to work with as I thought it might be.  The pile is sooooo long that you can just ease it out of the way (I use my awl) as you are sewing the seam.  Okay and thanks much for your reply . . . will see if it can be obtained in black!!

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Oooo, I vote for the 2" long golden tan!  I would definitely buy this if it were available from Intercal. It can be hard to find long mohair without resorting to the ultra-expensive 3" Schulte.  I love the golden tan, but shades of gold, brown, black and white would all be good.  I think this fur would be lovely on not just teddies but also cats and dogs.

<Drool>
Kelly

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Absolutely beautiful baby bears Sue Ann. I love the colors. Marbles colors are wonderful and that face would stop any one in their tracks Avalon is beautiful and has the most wonderful face. Frostie looks like he would love a hug and his colors again are so neat. It is not often we see such different yet abosolutely beautiful mohair. Grat job Hon!

Hugs Louise

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Sue Ann,

I would definitely buy the 2" in almost any color. It's a perfect length for grizzlies and other shaggy types, plus  dogs and cats and bunnies. Your bear is amazing, by the way. The longer fur makes a great bear outstanding. How about a nice PrePak, hmmmm? Introductory pricing?

I think Marble's fur would sell, but maybe not in such quantities.

A blend of mohair and viscose . . . I don't know. There's mohair and there's high quality synthetic, and I'd buy one or the other, but I'm not confident that a combination would sell.

Eileen

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh Sue Ann those bears are all gorgeous!

Johanna et al at Intercal - Please, please, please (on hands and knees) offer that 2" mohair!!!  A perfect length!

I'll put my order in now!! :)

Colors: if that golden tan is as light in real life as in Sue Ann's picture it's great! Love the light colors.
Also warm browns, rust, cream, white, black. I'd love to see it in say tan with a dark back.

Then there is the wild side of me that shouts PURPLE! BLUE! bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

Mmmmm....I'm drooling too!

Marble - a neat and interesting look (mohair that is - bear is adorable!) Not sure I'd go for RED!:/ Maybe more natural colors?

The mohair/viscose blend - personally I'd pass on that. Eileen is right - mohair OR synthetic but not a combo.

I'm going to be designing bears with 2" mohair in my sleep tonight. Y'all better make my dreams come true!!;)

Daphne

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Sue Ann & everyone,

I vote for Avalon's 2inch mohair and I hope it is not super expensive but
I would love to try it anyway !

I have to say I love both
Frostee and Marble! Sue Ann you always make super cute bears :D:D

I love marble color mohair but
I'm not sure if I can handle the
dark colors...hmmmmmmm
Are they coming in light color too?

thank you for sharing pics.
Hugs/Marie

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far.  Think we are all in agreement that Intercal should go with AT LEAST the 2" fur in several colors!!!

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi all,

Your Bears are just so gorgeous SueAnn and the new mohair from Intercal is fabulous.
I especially loved Avalon - I would love to give him a big old cuddle.
I would line up to buy some as I think that they are very interesting colours and make brilliant Bears.
I am off to Tauranga for school holidays for a few days so happy days to you all and
great Bear making.

Bear Hugs
Carolyn

www.draffinbears.com

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Ooh I love that Tan mohair - so pretty, LOVE the colour!! Reminds me of Rusty Beige - a favourite colour of mine.

Unfortunatly I don't use anywhere that length for my sized bears, but i think if I were to maker larger bears I would be over the moon to beable to find some longer mohairs (not really available here in many colours)  So perhaps if I cross over to the dark side of big bears.... LOL

Danni

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Sue Ann your bears are adorable. I'm with everyone else, the 2" long golden tan mohair which you made the adorable Avalon out of is scrumptious. I would love to use this mohair, drooling now! The short black/white "frosted" look mohair/viscose blend has a nice look to it but I'm not sure about it. The bear you've made is really sweet, maybe holding the material and seeing it first hand would make me want to buy it but as I said I'm not sure. Now as for the last sample is tipped in two colors...beautiful! My mind just flowed with bear designs for this one. I love it! The bear is fabulous too! Now when can we expect to see these fabrics at Intercal?
I'm sure we all want to get our creative little mits on them and make some beautiful critters!

Jane.

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I vote for the 2" mohair.  I think it would work great for making my Yorkies.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I like the tipped one!  I love things that aren't "ordinary" and stand out!  It makes me think of orange sherbert!

Daphne-you have no shame.....I really like that in a bearer!

You made me laugh

I'll add my voice to to yours

Are you listening INTERCAL good people?

Black for gollies and the wonderful browns for other critters-

And for the quirky:  colors    COLORS   yayyyyy colors!

Dilu

P.S.  Sue Ann do THEY read the site?  bear_laugh

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Sue Ann, your work is glorious... WHATEVER the mohair choice.  Wonderful pieces!

For my own bearmaking, I'd definitely sign right up to grab some of that 2" tan mohair.  Lovely stuff.

I like the orange-y tipped one, too, for something "different", and could imagine myself working with it.

I don't think I'd ever use the salt and pepper viscose blend for my own bearmaking.  I find really dark colors hard to work with and sometimes have trouble getting their facial features to "pop" because the background is just so, so dark.  Also, I don't love the feel of viscose and the pile length/type for my own work.

Having said that... with an inset muzzle, and for a child-safe bear, the viscose option might be the best one of all three for Intercal to choose to stock!  I guess it depends on who their primary customer is; is it the artist bear maker who uses mohair or real fur, or the "it's for my new grandbaby" teddy bear maker who crafts gifts for little ones.

In any case, those are some really terrific teddies.  I love your new anime direction; they're clearly whimsical and anime inspired, but you've managed such a great Past Time Bears look all the same.  Kudos to you!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Many, many thanks everybody!!  And, yes to your question, Dilu!!  I believe the powers that be at Intercal DO take an interest in what goes on with this board and will seriously consider all of the answers that are posted on this thread.  After all, a supplier does want to stock mohair that will sell well . . . right, Intercal??!! bear_grin bear_grin
Also, I appreciate all the nice compliments on my bears . . . you boost my confidence so much and your support is totally awesome!  You are a bunch of sweethearts, my friends!! bear_laugh bear_laugh   Please keep posting any new comments about the sample fabrics.  I'm sure Intercal is interested in what you think!!  bear_laugh

Jill West Palm Beach, FL

SueAnn,

I know I am a little late, but my vote is for the 2" tan mohair.  I would buy it in a minute.   I probably would not purchase the blend.  Intercal selected a great artist to showcase the new furs.  Your bears are fabulous!!!!!!!

Jill

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Thank you much, Jill!

Johnna Johnna's Mohair Store
Costa Mesa, California
WebsiteShop

Hello everyone!!!! To answer your question yes, we do check in from time to time to see how everyone is doing and to be part of the fun!! bear_laugh

Thank you so much for all of your comments about the new samples. We will keep monitoring to see where the most interest is and go from there. We do not have the fabrics in stock right now but keep your eyes open for a pre-order option on our web site in a few weeks!! We are here for all of you and want to make sure we are getting what you like!!! bear_laugh:D

Have fun!! bear_laugh:D

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Huzza, Johnna!

I'm so glad you'll be carrying that yummy mohair. I can't wait to see the colors . . .  and there go all my promises to cut back on the spending.

I've also got to say that SueAnn's bears are the best mohair-marketing device you could ever want!

Eileen

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

2" is my fave.. I have so much mohair right now, but I'd probably be very temped with the gorgeous 2" one! bear_laugh

Pages:

Board footer