Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Majbritt Nørresundby
Website

Hi!

I'm still working on my first miniature, a traditional bear, but think I will try a Sassy pattern instead. The traditional bear's limbs are so small and skinny, whereas Sassy's bear is a little fatter and probably a little easier to work with.

Anyway, my question is about sewing in hand. Do you just sew one time or several times? I use back stitches. How big do you make the stitches?

Thanks bear_original

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Hi Majbritt,

welcome to TT. I love your avatar puppy!

Assuming that you are working with non-fraying fabric, I sew with tiny back stitches as close to the edge as possible. I usually sew only once. A fatter pattern should indeed be a little easier to turn. I  use hemostats and tweezers to turn tiny pieces and I stuff with tweezers.

Good luck and don't forget to show  pics when you are done.

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I also sew with tiny back-stitches, about one per 1-2 'weaves' of the material if you know what I mean  bear_tongue . I used to sew really close to the edge but it depends on the fabric...even though they are pretty much all non-fraying, I had a few problems because I was just too close. Some backings are just tighter than others. So now I leave an edge of about 2mm, more if necessary.

I find the Sassy fabrics 'slide' really well against themselves making turning less difficult, even on the narrower pieces. My bears are usually over 3 inches tall though - I have no idea how some bear-makers can cope with even teenier bears!

bear_original

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Hi there Majbritt,
Welcome!! I pretty much follow exactly what Sabine said above.  I use the hemostats too, and some of the limbs can be thinner on my traditional bears.  The best thing I find is to use the hemostats to hold onto the fabric..but not to pull the fabric.  Pulling will most times get a hemostat slipping and pulling out your paw fur and maybe ripping the fabric.  I use the hemostats to hold and then I gently "work" the fabric, rolling it between thumb and pointer to turn out.  Hope that makes sense!! bear_grin

I love Sassy's stuff...I'm sure you'll do well with anything from the site.  You can also find several free patterns online.  I used a few Brewers Bruins Patterns years ago when first trying mini's.  She's got a free pattern on her site now too...for her Twig bear.  He's a cutie.

:hug:
~Chrissi

Majbritt Nørresundby
Website

1stmini2.jpg1stmini.jpgThanks everyone. I just finished the little traditional miniature bear. He's my first mini and only my second bear in total, so he's far from perfect with his uneven ears bear_grin

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

He is great for being only your second bear. I started with minis too, when I began making bears. About 3 inches is my favourite size for minis, smaller is hard. With minis, the slightest difference in size, like 1-2 mm, will be visible and so there is much less margin for error than with larger bears. You did a great job on him.

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

For being your second bear ever...and your first mini ever he's pretty great!  You did a fantastic job on your paw pads. On your second picture look how even and rounded you kept the pad on his arm (the foot pads too)..that's great stitching and attention to detail.

You're doing wonderfully!!

:hug:
~Chrissi

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Your little bear is very sweet Majbritt. I am totally in love with your avatar dog as it looks just like my own dog. Did you make the dog? It looks so real, I just am not sure if it's a real dog or soft sculpture. :redface:
Bearhugs,Shari.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Awww honey....your bear and puppy are both adorable. 

I hand sew my mini bears and I rock the needle...in-out sort of thing.  When I get to the end I reverse and rock the needle in and out where it was the reverse the first time around.  This way every single thread of the little bear part has stitching to hold it together on both sides.

I find it easier to rock the needle, and I still take  a little smaller than 1/4 inch stitches or smaller, but in the car sewing it is harder to do anything smaller....so that's about the smallest I get...Some of these girls go alot smaller....

That sounded wierd, because you don't know me, but about the only place I make bears is in the car going back and forth to physical thrapy.  Can get alot done though.

in reality though, you need to sew the way you are comfortable.  If you use a good quality thread, very small needle, you should do fine.

The fabric your little bear is made from?  What is it?  It is irridescent?  Lovely!

gollyhugs,
dilu

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Oh.... that IS a gorgeous fabric!  And such a wonderful job on your wee little bear!!!!!   bear_wub  bear_wub  My first several mini bears were absolutely awful!!!!  You have a real knack for this!  Keep up the good work!

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Malcolm-200-pix.jpg

Good work on your second bear , keep up the good work .

Majbritt Nørresundby
Website

Thanks everyone!

The bear is made in Sassy's medium pile upholstery velvet in color dusty rose and it does have a nice sparkle. The paws are in ultrasuede light color dried rose.

The dog is real, he's my miniature schnauzer puppy named Cosinus. Here is a picture of him when he was younger. He's 6 months old now.

fun.jpg

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Majbritt: love your little bear and the picture of your dog....Just too cute (bear and dog)

Michelle

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Majbritt,  your bear and doggie are both very cute.  Was your dog a naughty doggie to tear up the newspaper?

Board footer