Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

zemeski Posts: 434

As some of you know I was asked by my local museum to offer my teddy bears in their gift shop along with other Tennessee artist. I have two bears for sale in the museum now.
  I received a phone call today 10/27 from the museum staff about an open house they are having on November 11th. They are running ads in the Cleveland, TN - Chattanooga, TN - Dalton, Ga paper about this event with me being the featured artist appearing. They are also running the ad in several other things as well. They said they chose me for the featured artist because my bears have been all the talk this far in the gift shop. The gift shop has pottery, handmade jewelry, wood carvings, quilts etc.. They are asking all artist to bring materials and demonstrate while people visit the museum during open house.
  The staff asked me to make up some bears between now and then. (14 days is all I have?? :doh: ) I'm stressing out over this phone call. They want pictures information etc.. I didn't know anything about this until today.
  My question is what would you do?? Would you bother with it? They didn't really allow me anytime to get much together for this event. Do you think it is worth me spending my time doing this? Would this be good advertisement for me or, a waist of time?? Remember teddy bears and teddy bear shows are unheard of down here in Tennessee. Unless, I missed the boat so to speak!! This isn't a teddy bear show at all. Except, me alone with my bears and other artist offering other products. This is a business call I'm not use to!!! Help me PLEASE!!! Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated and helpful!!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

First thing I would do is refuse to stress.  There's no point.  You can only do what you can do and there's no point killing yourself with worry to achieve it.

If you have fourteen days and can free yourself from other commitments to work on bears for this then great; if not, then say thanks but no thanks.  I would think that perhaps 4/5 bears are achievable in a clear fourteen day period, so don't promise more than is completely feasible. 

Whether it is a good idea to do this or not, depends on whether you would like to take part or not!  If it means you've built some stock during the next couple of weeks, you can always offer them through your website, or Ebay etc if nothing comes of the museum venture, so in that respect, it's a nice project because it will give you a focus and you won't lose anything by going for it. 

By the way, the work you've done for them so far is absolutely stunning ... no wonder they want you as their featured artist!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

In all fairness to the museum they have'nt a clue have they?

In my very humble opinion i would have a great bear or two on display along with all your tools of the bear making trade - mohair - photos - business cards and i would sit there making a bears head or something.
Why can't you use the bears the museum already has in the gift shop?

Let us know what you decide

Penny  :hug:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
All Bear wrote:

Whether it is a good idea to do this or not, depends on whether you would like to take part or not!  If it means you've built some stock during the next couple of weeks, you can always offer them through your website, or Ebay etc if nothing comes of the museum venture, so in that respect, it's a nice project because it will give you a focus and you won't lose anything by going for it. 

By the way, the work you've done for them so far is absolutely stunning ... no wonder they want you as their featured artist!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

How exciting Melissa.  I agree with what Paula and Penny said.

It's sounds like great exposure and something you can add to your resume on your website.  I wouldn't kill yourself over trying to get a lot of bears done but I bet you can get e few done by then...just remember to get enough sleep and eat properly. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

gotobedbears wrote:

Why can't you use the bears the museum already has in the gift shop?
Penny:hug:

Penny - They probably will use them. They just would like a few extra for this "Open House."

All Bear wrote:

First thing I would do is refuse to stress.  There's no point.  You can only do what you can do and there's no point killing yourself with worry to achieve it.

If you have fourteen days and can free yourself from other commitments to work on bears for this then great; if not, then say thanks but no thanks.  I would think that perhaps 4/5 bears are achievable in a clear fourteen day period, so don't promise more than is completely feasible. 

Paula - Yes, I agree stress makes a mess for sure!! I will set a goal of 3 to 4 bears. Then, they can use the other teddy bears in the gift shop as well. THANKS!!

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Melissa, how about making two or three bears to a certain stage, like you could have the mohair with the pattern drawn on it or the pieces cut out, then another with the head and limbs jointed to the body and the body open, not stuffed, to demonstrate the process, sort of.  Then you could be working on a third and maybe a couple finished bears for display and pictures of your adopted bears and business cards.

baronebear wrote:

Melissa, how about making two or three bears to a certain stage, like you could have the mohair with the pattern drawn on it or the pieces cut out, then another with the head and limbs jointed to the body and the body open, not stuffed, to demonstrate the process, sort of.  Then you could be working on a third and maybe a couple finished bears for display and pictures of your adopted bears and business cards.

Patty - That's a great idea!! Then I wouldn't have to finish all of them. I could do stages... pattern pieces,  stitched bear, bear five way jointed, half stuffed bear, stuffed and ready for grooming, clipped bear, etc... The list goes on so we teddy artist all know. Thanks for the advise!! Great suggestion!!! :dance:

Judi wrote:

It's sounds like great exposure and something you can add to your resume on your website.  I wouldn't kill yourself over trying to get a lot of bears done but I bet you can get e few done by then...just remember to get enough sleep and eat properly. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Thanks Judi!! Your right its not a teddy bear show. It is an artist demonstration show. I need to focus more on the skill of putting a bear together for the viewers to appreciate the work behind making a bear. That is why they are doing this. So, people can appreciate the time that goes into each detail of the art work.  :hug:

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

This is neat, Melissa! It gives you the opportunity to make yourself known to a new group of people, and it can help advance the collectible teddy bear industry by making more people aware of it. Great! :hug: And yes, take your time and enjoy yourself! Maybe some pictures if you're not too busy while there. :photo:

Hugs,
Debora

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Melissa,  bear_flower
How wonderful for you!!  What an honor to be asked!  You go girl!! :dance: 

I like Patty's idea of having bears in different stages of completion.  Most people have no idea what goes into designing and making a bear.  Don't forget to take along a half drawn pattern.  That way the collector/admirer/customer/patron of the arts can see that your bears are from artist conception to a final peice of art. 

Your bears are really stunning.  You are thoughtful about the whole process and it shows.  Show 'em your stuff girlie!! 

I wish you all the very best.  Please let us know how it goes!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

New Avenue Crew wrote:

This is neat, Melissa! It gives you the opportunity to make yourself known to a new group of people, and it can help advance the collectible teddy bear industry by making more people aware of it. Great! :hug: And yes, take your time and enjoy yourself! Maybe some pictures if you're not too busy while there. :photo:

Hugs,
Debora

Debora - Yes, I'll take pictures and post them after November 11th for TT to see. I'll relax and enjoy this experience even if it is a learning one. Which most of mine are. :crackup:

Aleta - The Silly Bear wrote:

Melissa,  bear_flower
How wonderful for you!!  What an honor to be asked!  You go girl!! :dance: 

I like Patty's idea of having bears in different stages of completion.  Most people have no idea what goes into designing and making a bear.  Don't forget to take along a half drawn pattern.  That way the collector/admirer/customer/patron of the arts can see that your bears are from artist conception to a final peice of art. 

Your bears are really stunning.  You are thoughtful about the whole process and it shows.  Show 'em your stuff girlie!! 

I wish you all the very best.  Please let us know how it goes!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Aleta - Thanks for the suggestion!! I'll be sure to take my drawings and sketches of how it all starts before I start. When you stop to think about teddy bear designing and making the bear you begin to realize how much that does go into one bear. I feel like I'm back in my school days preparing for a book report. Maybe I need this more than the viewers. I guess I've never stopped and really had to look at everything step by step. I just do it. I think I'll be overwhelmed myself when I go to prepare this for the viewers. Mainly because I'll have to take time stop and think about it. I guess for me that goes back to the old saying, "Take time to SLOW down and smell the roses." Ha! Ha!

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Melissa, congrats to you! It sounds like a wonderful opportunity. I think if you could have just a couple extra bears to take along, it would be sufficient. After all, it's not a bear show so I don't think you're expected to have a big table full. And I'm sure they can understand it's the best you can do on short notice. You could always take along a photo album or scrapbook of adopted bears so there's more for the people to see and of course, more exposure for you! I'd say go for it, Melissa, especially since there's been such a buzz about you and your bears. Maybe you can pull in a few new collectors who wouldn't otherwise ever understand what bear artistry is all about. Best of luck! Be sure to give us an update on how it turns out if you decide on doing it. bear_original

Sandi - I'm going to print up photos of some adopted bears and place them on the presentation boards. Thanks for the suggestion!!

I went to Hobby Lobby tonight and bought some fabric to make a table covering. It was upolstery fabric at 80% off. I don't know if everyone has a Hobby Lobby close by, but I love that store. I get soooo off focus when I go into that store for anything. I never come out with one thing. As a matter of fact I have to send my husband to shop for me sometimes so I don't buy things I don't need. I also bought my paper supplies tonight and two presentation boards.  I only spent $100.00 total. So, that is good I think. I'll probably have to go get printer ink next week. It's been three months since it was replaced and I know it's getting low.
  I went digging in my odds and ends and found some bears cut out and ready to be put together. That will save me time. I have one bear that has been jointed, but not stuffed. I have several bears cut out and ready to put together. I feel better now that I'm finding things I didn't even know or remember having.
  Thanks again for the support, great information, and ideas. I feel better now that I got some input from you all!! Hugs to you all!! :hug:  :hug: 

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Cooooool, Melissa, sounds like you're practically ready to go. I look forward to pics.   We don't have Hobby Lobby here in Northern California but I've been there with my daughter in Nashville.  Very dangerous store.  I don't buy there because I would have to haul it home on a plane.

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Go for it Melissa!
I can only be good for you.
That may give some people great idea for gifts yo do to their relatives and friends.
Never forget there is only a few amount of people aware of the existence of collector bears made by artists.
Some people may like the idea about finding gifts that are one of a kind!!!!

Have fun preparing that event!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Patty Posts: 36

Melissa, what shop sells your bears? I live in Tennessee, and my sister lives right outside of Chattanooga.

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

It sounds great, Melissa.  I like what others said about showing people how bears are made.  Most people don't know how a bear is made and that it's not an easy thing to do.  I hope the show goes well.  Please post  :photo:  when you return.

Patty Wrote:

Melissa, what shop sells your bears? I live in Tennessee, and my sister lives right outside of Chattanooga.

The Museum Center At 5ive Points
668900.jpg
1889.jpg

Cleveland, TN 37311
423-339-5745
http://www.museumcenter.org/index.html

Tuesday–Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Saturday, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
Closed Sunday, Monday & Holidays

This is my two bears the Museum is offering...

Sebastian
44f569e70f52d78bac56e83083f232344.jpg
Jingle
fef1cd779d9154cdb8908106d34566.jpg

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

Go for it Melissa!  You have everything to gain and nothing to loose! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb By the sounds of it here everyone is for you doing it.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Beautiful work Melissa.  I am eagerly awaiting the pictures of your experience.
Go forth and ENJOY bear_thumb

:dance: I'm going to start my project today 10/30 so wish me luck or say a prayer for me. I've spent all weekend writing down all my ideas and the ideas you all have given me. If I can get focused I'll be doing good. I'll be back to chat after this project is finished. For now good bye and have a safe and wonderful next couple of weeks. I can't thank you enough for all the help and support in trying to get motivated to get ready for this Open House. When I come back I promise I'll have pictures listed here at TT under Travel and Show.

MUSEUM2006.jpg
OPEN_HOUSE__1.jpg

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Best of luck Melissa, have a marvelous time and enjoy your moment in the spotlight.  Your work is fantastic so I'm sure it will be a smashing success.

:hug:   :hug:   :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hi Melissa,
Having been gone a few days I know I'm late in responding and I haven't taken the time to read everyone's repsonses but just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

This is a GREAT opportunity for you and for the bear industry. The general public needs to be educated on artist bears! This is better than demonstrating at a bear show!! This is your chance to create some new collectors to the bear world and it's fantastic exposure for you! Be ready with an order pad!

I wouldn't stress over it. Making bears comes naturally to you and it's a great love of yours so you'll have no problem doing demonstrations. Put together what ever you can but don't kill yourself over it. Make use of patterns you already have, supplies you have on hand, perhaps you have a few bears you've made but are keeping that you could bring for 'show and tell'. Whatever you show and talk about during this event will be very intresting to attendees as artist bears will likely be something new for them.

I do think this would be a fantastic opportunity for you. YOU tell the museum what you are willing to do. Fill them in a bit on the bear making process so they understand that 14 days isn't enough time to get properly prepared for such an event. I'm sure you'll do a superb job at what ever you are able to do for them!

Board footer