Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

K Pawz Guest

Oh hang in there Samantha, with a diagnosis now hopefully he will be able to figure something out for you that will work

Hugs,
Krista

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

This is really strange.  For the past 2 weeks I have been having probelems with balance and dizziness.  I thought maybe it was an inner ear infection or something ,but it's not.  I was walking with a friend the other day and the sidewalk seemed to tilt and I nearly fell over.  Sometimes when I stand up I stagger a bit, especially if I've been lying down.  It seems to really bother me when looking at the computer screen-like motion sickness.  It has been making me feel very nauseous too.  I did try motion pills one day and it did seem to help. I was wondering if it might be Mineries disease too as I was searching that on the internet.  It just feels like my ear has fluid in it but it doesn't.  Really odd and very annoying.  I think I'll be heading back to the doctor. 

I'm glad to hear that you have some treatments to try Samantha.  I hope they make you feel better.

sheilaleigh Sheila Leigh
Lincoln, Nebraska
samanthapotter wrote:

Sheila - my doctor has suggested that it may be meniere's disease, but I'm only 23, which is quite young to have it.  Out of curiosity, do you have any problems with your hearing, which are also connected with Meniere's?

Hugs,
Samantha
x

Hi Samantha,

I was diagnosed with meniere's disease when I was about 33 years old, I'm 44 years old now, but I was suffering with it for a few years before they diagnosed me.  I had lots of ear infections when I was a kid.  Did you ever have problems with your ears when you were young?

The ear doctor did a test called an ENG. If they do this test on you, don't be surprised when the room starts to spin.  It scared me half to death because I didn't know what to expect.  I was just praying for it to be over with.  But don't be afraid to have the test because that's how they can decide if your problem is meniere's disease.

I found this information from the internet for you to read. 
ENG (electronystagmograph) may be performed to evaluate balance function. In a darkened room, recording electrodes are placed near the eyes. Warm and cool water or air are gently introduced into each ear canal. Since the eyes and ears work in a coordination through the nervous system, measurement of eye movements can be used to test the balance system. In about 50 percent of patients, the balance function is reduced in the affected ear.

Since my test was positive for meniere's disease, the doctor prescribed Lasix (which is a water pill) and micro K (because lasix can deplete your body of vitamin K).  At first I had to take this twice a day, then once a day, but now I just take it as needed.  I've been taking this for a long time, it really dries you up, but it works.  The doctor also checks my hearing once a year.  When my ears are full of fluid in my inner ear, I have problems hearing.  You can read this website it will tell you more.  http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/balance/meniere.cfm

Email me if you want to ask me more questions.

Take care of yourself and I will be thinking of you!

bear hugs,
Sheila

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Sam,
A friend here in Oz has also been recently diagnosed with Meniere's disease and when she has a bout of it, she throws up every time she moves her head. bear_cry  It seems there are varying degree of it too. The friend was told by her doctor to put herself on a very low salt diet..apparently it helps, so that may be something to consider. We seem to have hideous amounts of salt hidden in so many of our canned and processed foods. Thinking of you...it's gotta be tough.  bear_sad

Board footer