Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Susan and Chrissie...it's funny you know, but us Aussies (well SOME of us Aussies......okay well possibly only those of us BLONDE Aussies.... bear_tongue ) have never stopped to think that not ALL American's get white Christmasses....to me it's the mental (very!) picture that goes with Christmas...a white one in the USA or UK. But of course..in Cali and Florida, it doesn't get cold enough to snow right? Or am I totally up the creek with my 'understanding'? bear_wacko
Any American Christmas movies we watch all have the snow...so you just don't think of Americans having a Christmas any other way.
Here in Australia, Christmas lunch varies from a full Traditional hot meal with all the trimmings.....to more and more people opting for the backyard BBQ or even cold meats and salads...'cos lets face it, who wants to slave in a hot kitchen when the temerature is roasting hot! bear_noexpression  Do you still do the traditional Christmas lunch even though it's hot?

Mindy, your Christmas traditions sound so romantic....I think I'm a bit too bah humbug.....I prefer to get it all over and done with as soon as possible.

And it makes me sad that Christmas is just so commercial now and the true meaning gets forgotten. I almost wish they would make Christmas and Xmas two different days altogether, and they are certainly confused with each other. bear_sad

Maybe I need a dose of Christmas spirit this year. bear_thumb

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Just Us Bears wrote:

But of course..in Cali and Florida, it doesn't get cold enough to snow right? Or am I totally up the creek with my 'understanding'? bear_wacko
Any American Christmas movies we watch all have the snow...so you just don't think of Americans having a Christmas any other way.
:

You got that correct Hayley.  The southern half does not get any snow.  Here is Wisconsin we can get some pretty hefty snow storms....and then the kids get 'snow days' which means school is cancelled. 

Christmas lights outside look fantastic against a sparkling white blanket of white but on the downside driving in snow can be down right dangerous.  Snow is welcome until Christmas is over than winter gets very long in the Jan, Feb, and March.

In Canada it is not uncommon for a foot of snow to fall on a regular basis!
Hey northern neighbors...any good snow stories? :pray:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Hayley--if it's any comfort, I think most of the snow you see in American Christmas movies is either chicken feathers or styrofoam!! :crackup:

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  bear_grin  Eileen. Sure fooled me! :crackup:

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

hey i can live with the snow..like judi i LOVE the snow falls and the pretty frost patterns on th ewindows..etc..but let it rain and freeze
and i turn into super chicken! i put some serious money into tires in the winter after being stranded 2 hrs on the way home from work..waiting for the sand trucks and the idiots with summer tires to get the roads clear,,its very hilly where we live and theres no stopping on ice and people are unbelieveable! i had good tires..now i have great ones!  sliding with no control is terrifying! let it snow let it snow let it snow!!!  deb

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Eileen! :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

I know what you mean Deb.  I hate icy roads...but I love being snowed in.....culred up on the couch, with mohair and needle in hand, and watching the snow.....

Farm_picK1.jpg
Here's a photo from Jan. 2006.  My hubby is clearing the driveway.

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Jodi Falk wrote:

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

You said it Jodi!

SLauhon Lauhon Originals
Murrieta, Ca

Hayley - We actually did get snow falling for about 30 minutes 2 years ago for the first time in about 30 years from what the long time residents said! It was really exciting for everyone who lives here. Most years it's in the low to mid 70's and we do cook the whole meal and all despite the crazy weather. When my 16 year old son was 2 he actually was running through the sprinklers Christmas morning! Right now it has been cool for 4 days and is expected to heat up again for the next 4. My kids keep asking when they can stop pulling out their shorts to wear! The one nice thing about the weather though is the kids can do outdoor activities most of the year.

I agree that Christmas is way to commercial. I really have trouble looking forward to it all some years with the whole buy, buy mentality. What about giving even it's just your time?  My in-laws don't believe in Jesus ( my husband does) so they strictly celebrate the commercial side of it. Makes it kinda interesting to say the least!

A small part of me ( very small! ) envies those with snow this time of year. It just says stay in and keep cozy. I think I would probably get cabin fever after a week.

mini hugs, Susan

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

The one thing that puts me in the true spirit of Christmas is when I go to the mall and stand in front of the Giving Tree.  I feel a huge rush of emotion and always get all teary eyed when I see all those tags.  The tags that really get me are the ones asking for socks.  SOCKS!  That's usually the point I just start grabbing tags and and off we go shopping.  What better way to feel the spirit of Christmas?  For me, it's all about giving with your whole heart.

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Krys SoCal

2-12-06.jpg

Judi wrote:
Just Us Bears wrote:

But of course..in Cali and Florida, it doesn't get cold enough to snow right? Or am I totally up the creek with my 'understanding'? bear_wacko
:

You got that correct Hayley.  The southern half does not get any snow.  Here is Wisconsin we can get some pretty hefty snow storms....and then the kids get 'snow days' which means school is cancelled.  :

We sure do get snow in Southern California up in the mountains (just not an every winter occurrence...that's why we have snow machines). So if we really wanted to we can ski/snowboard and swim/surf at the beach on the same day. This is a pix of Big Bear Lake.

Koala Adorable Bears
Shepparton/Victoria

It only feels like Christmas to me when I smell freshly cut hay and th weather is over 30C (about 90F).
We have just had a cool change and after days of 30 -34 C it only got to 16C yesterday...I hated it ! It was freezing. Fortunatly it will be back up to 30C for this weekend.
I never put up decorations until after my Dad's birthday on Dec. 1. Even though he hasn't been with us for 5 years I still always think lets wait until after Dad's special day.  Then I alway say this year only a few but so often I keep adding to them until all the bears are out and in Christmas settings, bud lights are twinkling and lots of baking is stored away.
For those who hate wrapping gifts there are such pretty gift bags, or one year I used brown paper carry bags (the ones I use at bear shows). I stuck stars onto them and tied the string handles together with raffia and a small Christmas pick or silk gum leaves for a more rustic effect. It looked great and was so easy. What is more everyone took their bags home...no mess of paper.
Susan

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Well, here in northern California, we do get snow.  I live at about 1400 feet elevation so we don't get it here.  Last year we had a dusting.  But only 10 miles up the road in Grass Valley & Nevada City, they are at about 2500 ft and get snow every year.  Then, of course, on up the highway is Tahoe & Truckee.  They get PLENTY of snow.  There are several ski resorts there.  Squaw Valley (between Truckee and Tahoe)  is where they held the 1960 winter Olympics.  (a bit of history)  Anywhere above 2500 to 3000 ft elevation will get snow.

Here's our little dusting in March 2006:10.JPG
15.JPG
Paige snowboarding about an hour from our home.
paige_2.JPG

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:photo: Love all the snowy pics!  LOL...and Judi, that's a very civil way to clear a driveway of deep snow  bear_thumb   

I love to watch the snow, but I do hate to drive (well, ride, hubs does the driving) in it...not because of hubby, he's an excellent driver, but the other idiots on snow  bear_angry sheesh!  And forget it if it ices....nothing is ever worth being out on ice for ~ ever.  Give it a bit and it'll melt...

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I'm determine to NOT let the family chaos get me down...I've put in the Christmas CD's...turned 'em up LOUD!!!!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Krys. you're absolutely right!  I had forgotten about the mountains in California.   I used to live in LA when we immigrated from England and it is soooo sunny and warm in LA.

The mountains must be beautiful.

zemeski Posts: 434

Judi -
  What a beautiful snow you got. Was that your alls first snow? Send it my way to Tennessee!! We haven't had a good snow in forever. It would be nice to have a white Christmas this year. You almost forgot to mention the hot cocoa and the smell of fresh baked cookies coming out of the oven.
  How is your little dog doing since the accident? I hope her little body has healed!! Me and Caitlin my daughter prayed for you and your family during that time.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Melissa,
MMMMMM...I can smell the hot cocoa right now! Wanna share some with me?

The photo of the my hubby moving snow with the tractor is actually last years snow.  We have only had one 3-inch snow fall this year.  We normally get quite a bit so I'll post more photos as soon as we get some.  Thank you so much for asking about Mandi.  Everyone's prayers have helped.  Our little Mandi has her spunk her back.  It's hard to believe anything even happened to her.  She does need more surgery to reposition both her knees but it can wait unitl the end of December.

I would love to see and share Christmas day photos here...something to think about next month.  Also, if anyone does not celebrate Christmas then photos could be posted of any other special event of holdiay celebrated.  bear_wub  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Hayley,
No snow here in Florida.  I think snow flakes fell in Miami about 30-40 years ago but I wasn't born yet.  Our winters have been getting milder each year.  It gets cold in the northern part of Florida.  When it does get cold here, it's pretty cold because it's a wet cold from all the water here.  When it's cold here, you can tell the tourists from the natives.  The natives like me are all bundled up with the heat on if gets to the 50s and the tourists are in shorts.   bear_grin   I love seeing snow (I was in my first blizzard this past Feb. in NYC) but I couldn't live in cold weather b/c I'm a sissy in the cold. 

Judi,
Look at all that pretty snow!  bear_original

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_cry Still nothing but rain and more rain in the Great White North bear_cry

Judi, your snowy pix will keep me going!

Board footer