Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

All the bears are wonderful.  I have looked at the needle felting and would really like to try it but I have all these other bears in my head at the moment and will probably have to wait a year or so for the felting.

They are so adorable.  Thanks for sharing.

Jane

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi HI HI Ladies!  I have been on a whirlwind of summer activities and have not been able to post much..

Anyway,  I would love to write a book but until then I am writing an on line class for needle felting onto a mohair bear.  I am self taught and am eager to share this fun and super creative way of putting expression into a bear.
OPIE_nf9.jpg

The class will cover creating the following parts of a bears face:  the cheeks, chin. mouth, brow, and very important:  the under eye area and over the eye area. 
I will also be demonstrating how to add shading.  Those of you who took my airbrushing course (or who already know how to airbrush) can use this method of color application.  Those who don't...not to worry, I will be showing how to shade with markers.

At this very moment I do not have the actual bear to show you that I will be teaching, but here is another  photo of one of my first felted faced bears.  It will be along these lines.

For more info on the class go to www.northcountryteddybears.com

I really like all the photos you are posting.  I LOVE needle felting....it is like a bear pallet!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

EBAYQUEEN.jpgHere's another one:OSCAR_3RSZ.jpg

DARBY_RESZ.jpg

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

OK...I'm signing up. Unfortunately the North County site is down just now. bear_sad
Are you supplying a pattern that we make and then felt or do we pick our own?

Marion

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

I'm in as soon as I get some teaching days in,I'm broke at the moment.Three hundred dollars for a trumpet,school supplies,lack of bear sales,ebay costs......oops,did I say that all out load,sorry bear_tongue
So Judy ,your felted bears are beautiful works of art that defy any words of praise.I hope you do find time to do a book someday.I bet Nancy would help or you could collaborate bear_original
Will the course be offered only once at a set time or can I take it in say,November?

Hugs girls,Shari.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Thanks ladies for the very kind comments. 
Marion, I will be supplying a pattern designed for this course.  It will be approx a 10" bear....not exactly sure because I have only been working on the head so far,  but it will be right around there.

Shari, the class will be ongoing  and will run every about every six weeks. And thank you thank you for the kind kind words.  I have a needle felted faced bear in the works right now that is my favorite to date.  She is not ready for me to photograph just yet.

I have to say that needle felting is addicting......but I guess many aspects of bearmaking/designing/creating are, aren't they?!

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

all right .... is there a limit on the amount of people who can sign up? shd I hurry and do it now? Do we have to have the head made before the course so that we learn to felt it....so many questions, sorry.
if your new bear is your favourite yet I just can't wait to see it - it must be fabulous.
Marion

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Marion,
There is no class size limit and what is really neat about the classes on NCTB is there is a forum for daily conact with the insturctors for questions and comments.  I am not yet finished writing the class but just as soon as I am done ,I will be sending the pattern and all the info to Nancy Tillberg who owns and manages the site.   She also founded and runs the E-Bearz University.  The first class starts at the end of Sept.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Judi you are so very very talented....

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Wow some great work here, thanks for sharing with us.  I love needlefelting, great no patterns, yipeee... bear_happy You can be as creative as you want to be.   Give it a whirl girls, don't be shy.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Actually, it isn't a bad idea at all-  Judi already does a GREAT job on writing out directions and a great deal of it would be pictures and Judi already has a backing as an educatior in this field and she already has a ready market.  Hmmmmm

What do you think Judi?  I want one of those books too.
Dilu

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I'm a bit late on this one, but wanted to share as well. Sure is humbling to see some of your guys felted creations. Some really great work out there!!!

TedwardandBearington.JPG                 Mysticared5.JPG
Mysticared7.JPG                 teddyforboard.jpg

ANd I'm working on a really cool felting dragon, but he's taking me forever to finish.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Dilu you are a doll!  Have you tried needle felting?  Once you get the feel for it it is fun to see what emerges.  Each time I do one they come through with a different personality...hhmmm I wonder if this reflects how I am feleling at the time of felting.

Heather and Karen really nice work.  The polar bears have such expression, and I love the unicorn.

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Oh,I just adore the unicorn,awesome!! Great work!! bear_laugh

hugs and blessings,Shari.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Wow, ladies bear_laugh

Your work is so inspiring! I've got some needles and wool, but haven't had the courage to try :/

Eileen

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Noice work ladies, real noice!

Danni

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Judi Paul, there is only one word ...& that is WOW!!!!!!!
I already needle felt the faces of my mohair bears, but my faces are more cartoonish. One thing though...I had never thought of needle felting the ears.....(found another word) SENSATIONAL!!!!
                      matilda

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Have you got any photos Matilda or have I missed a post? I did a bit of needlefelting but need to carry it forward. It is addictive and takes ages but is very calming and fun to do. The only trial and error tip I can supply is when felting on the mohair use a thin needle (see I don't even know the name!) and be careful not to be heavy handed. I lost two needle tips in the first bear I did, so that put paid to that one as I couldn't get them out.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Sorry no pics as yet. working on it though!.
Also have lost a needle tip. I've not yet found a way to remove them.Actually I very much doubt there is a way.
I just love the way I can create a complete personality. They are' true ' individuals. When the needle felting bug bites you , it bites hard. Because even the most excruciating pain from being harpooned by those barbaric hooked needles doesnt  stop you from the furious repetitve jabbing.

Scared yet. You should be, hahahahahhahahahahha............(she says with wicked evil laugh)lololol:lol::rolleyes::lol:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Because even the most excruciating pain from being harpooned by those barbaric hooked needles doesnt  stop you from the furious repetitve jabbing

Matilda this is hilarious and oh so TRUE!!!  I would love to see some of your work.  Thanks for kind words.  I started needle felting one year ago and I love it.  It is very addicting and extremely time consuming.

A comment about broken needles:  since there is no way to remove them, there is nothing to worry about.  They are  not going to come out and bite anyone.  That has happened to me too.  The needles are quite brittle.

Small minds talk about people,Average minds discuss events, Greatminds share ideas

Also, this is one of my favorite sayings and are certainly words to  live by!

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Lovely work ladies...which makes me want to try it myself....so I'm going to order the beginners kit that Dilu talked about in another post...but before I do...should I be ordering some extra wool stuff or is there enough in the kit to actually do something or just tease me?

Shantell

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Judi and other felters... do you ever worry about repetitive motion injuries with all that stabbing and jabbing?  I should think it would put quite a strain on the ol' hand and wrist over time.  ???

Matilda, two things:

1)  You paint lovely pictures with words.  Remind me never to stand beside you if you're holding something sharp.

2)  My son was with me when we checked out the TEDDY TALK world map and we discovered that you live smack dab in the middle of the Atlantic (correction 9/2/05 -- INDIAN) Ocean; no land whatsoever to speak of.  I could look it up, but I'm incredibly lazy, and obviously, totally geographically challenged.  Where the heck is Fremantle?  Do you live on a raft?  ;)

Hugs,

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Shelli - you crack me up!!

Repetitive motion: I was teaching one of my students (in her 50's tho' not sure if age had anything to do with it but tho't I'd throw that in just in case) how to needle felt and after about 3 hours (we broke for a long lunch too) her elbow was bothering her. Not a problem she'd ever had before. Took a couple of days to go away.

I think that the height at which you work makes a difference. Not that you have to be on a ladder or sitting on the floor. But whether you work on a table or down in your lap... the angle of your shoulder, elbow and wrist.... makes a difference. Finding a position that is not fatiguing is very important. If you work in your lap be sure to use a very thick piece of foam!!!!!!!!!!

There are all kinds of holders for needles so your not trying to hold onto that little tiny head... great way to develop carpal tunnel syndrome!! Some folks make their own holders out of fimo clay. Edinburgh sells wooden ones. I highly recommend using SOMETHING so you don't cause injury to your hands. Surgery is NO FUN!!!!!!

Daphne

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Heather, your creations are too cute !!! I love the unicorn, it's so beautiful !!
Is that long hair of unicorn is also felt ?? or you using something else?

Daphne, Thank you for good advice. bear_laugh

Dilu, ditto ! I want Judi's book too ! Yay!

Hugs/Marie

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Marie, the long hair on the unicor is wool from the sheep. It's just unprocessed. Very close to what it looks like right off the sheeps back. Some dollmakers use that stuff for hair.
Thanks for the complements everyone, I love to see all our work.
Heather

Board footer