Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Wow I finally got a chance to look at aeveryone's needlefelting!  Awesome!!  Needlefelting is one  of those things that's on my "to do in the future" lists :D.... and I greatly admire everyone else's work!

This past summer we have been going to the Renaissance Faire in Bristol, WI a lot... and this year there is a shop of needlefelted critters!  I wanted to take photos to show you all, but thought it would be rude to the artist .... but I DID ask if I could take a photo of him working on thise 2 1/2 foot dragon!  I'll show it after I've downloaded it....

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Matilda, go ahead and start a nose thread ;)

I have heard some other suggestions on another group just recently.

It seems that embroidered noses are still the norm  and being used on the felted creations.  I am actually surprised by this BECAUSE it never accured to me to embroider a nose......I just went ahead and felted one....the two, then three...you get the picture. I can not see my bears with any other type of nose. At the moment anyway. Maybe the different types of noses would make a good new topic, if anyone wantds to continue the conversation.  Am eager to hear your points of view.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

sashawb.jpgsashasit.jpgpinkeestand.jpgpinkeesitt.jpgDidnt realize that we had a needle felting area now ! Question for you gals - I had trouble with trying to photograph Pinkee (the bright pink one, obviously  bear_tongue ) and didnt know what background to choose, I tried a light blue but she didnt stand out she kind of looked washed out, I tried a brown, eck! I tried a pink but she blended in so I tried this dark purple and think the pics are too dark, HELP!  any suggestions on background colors that will show her true color (she is bright pink and paw pads are creme)

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

A light color... lilac or ivory.... pale pink... think baby colors

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

FFF_INTRO_Opie_Tom.jpgoldpics-015.jpgoldpics-014.jpgFFF_INTRO_Orlando.jpgI really like the needle felted noses I have seen on your bears.  I also stitch noses and apply leather sculpted noses.  Here are some pictures:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Whoa, Laura Lynn... I'm a little slow on catching up with this thread but did you say a 2 1/2 FOOT dragon??? Needle felted? Picture please!!!  :pray:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Kim your wee bears are really lovely. bear_thumb They dont look needle felted. I also have had the same problem with photographing the pink. I chose black for the back ground but my bear looks flourecent.
Judi your bears look spectacular as usual. :clap: I have registered for your class in Nov. looking forward to it.
I'm having some trouble with overlay that has now gone bumpy. I just can't get it to blend properly. Hence the class.  bear_original  Matilda

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Kim..your needlefelted bears are really sweet. I really love the colours you have used in the second bear and the great shaping around the muzzle. Way to go! :clap:

Judi,
Your bears all look so gentle,sweet and innocent..the type you'd tell all your secrets to and feel safe. I reckon it's only a matter of time before you are approached by a filmaker who wants to make one into a kids show character. bear_happy

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Thank you girls, these are just a start (the first few I made) - Judi, you always amaze me!  :clap: :dance:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Matilda,

I'm having some trouble with overlay that has now gone bumpy. I just can't get it to blend properly

Have you tried using a fine needle either 38 S or 40?  It takes a lot of time.  Let us know how it works out for you. bear_innocent

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hayley,...you are all TOO cute!!! :hug: :hug:  If that is even possible. bear_wub bear_smile bear_flower

WA

Judi, I'm only able to source 36 , and 40. here. Ive tried ordering from ed imports. But am not sure if anything is going to happen there. They dont seem to have the pay facilities that I need, and they havent answered my emails, even though I said I was in a panic bear_grin May have to try Neysa.
I had no idea so many size needles were available.  I've been working with only two sizes. (clever aye!)
You were correct of course. It just needed more time with the' 4o'. I've all most finished this bear. Am on the eyelids now. But started to draw blood, so thought I will stop for a while. Need the puncture wounds to heal over a wee bit. bear_grin

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Slap on some band-aides and keep going! :hug:

Neysa seems to be a wonderful resource for not only advice but supplies as weel.  give her  try to get some needles.  Also I would suggest to get several of each size .  It can be frustrating to have a needle break in the middle of felting and then find out you have no replacement. bear_thumb

WA

Judi, I finally was able to order them from ed imports....but at $61aust I dont think I'll order anything more from America. I just cant afford the exchange rate. It's such a bugga not being able to get anything over here.
So at that price I only order a single set. I'm getting quite clever with the needles now. The odd bloody finger when caught dozing but (touch wood) :pray: no breakages for a while now. bear_original  Matilda :dance:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

OPIE_10.jpgWow, you guys!  Your felted critters are fabulous!!  And thank you thank you thank you for all the wonderful comments.  I am seriuosly considering wirting abook on needle felting to add to all the other wonderful books out there.  Thank you for your support and encouragement! :hug:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:dance: Do it, Judi  :pray:

Eileen

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I will buy a copy, Judi!!!!  bear_innocent

Dilu Posts: 8,574

We get to buy auto graphed copies!!!  TT girls first in line.....

Somewhere else we were teasing Judi about writing a book.....and given her experience I think she ought to.....

This morning I decided to get all my rovings in order.  OH MY GOLLYGOODNESS!

I have twice as much as I thought I did.....WOW....as soon as the golly course is finished I get back to poking.

BTW  never did get an infection from when the needle went clear through and out the otherside.   bear_grin 

I was feeling pretty smug about that until the hubster said "you've been an RN for 25 years doncha think you ought to have been able to keep it clean?"  how about that for interjection a little bitty reality?

MATILDA

try this site-its in Australia

http://www.cobwebcottage.co.nz/BearsAvailable.html

she wrote the real basic book so many of us started out with, Barbara Allen

bear_tongue

WA

Judi, is" opie" the bear  from your workshops?  Hope he is, because he is way cute!!!! :angel:

DILU!!! Thankyou for the link. :thumbsup:If only I new about this supplier the other week.  But no probs, will now never be without felting supplies :twisted:hahahahahahhah :twisted: :twisted:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Matilda,
OPie is the same face in my workshop but I demonstrated  with solid black glass eyes instead of the eyes with pupils.  Once you know the foundations for the facial parts you can build faces like mine.  All my felted face bears have the same foundation. The reason I used solid black eyes for the class is so thqat everyone can concentrate on the felting part.  Once you get it you can do all sorts of different things with eyes.  Setting eyes with pupils can be fiddley to get the gaze set correctly, but very worth the effort.  These bears do look nice with solid eyes too.

I am going ot be looking into writing a book.  Never done it before so it may take some time.  Thanks for the encouragement.  You guys are like cheerleaders :pray: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: bear_smile bear_wub bear_smile :hug: :hug: :hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I am surprised that Nancy T. hasn't gone into the publishing-everything-bear-books field yet.......

But with her energy I wont be surprised when she does!

bear_tongue

WA

Good on ya!!!! Lets face it Jude, noone is doing what you are doing. If it was so easy to copy then why hasnt someone copied. ? Because!!!! You are a genius where this medium is concerned. You're a one of a kind.
Your work is marvelous. Now when you need another dose of head swelling malarky just yell.
Cooooooweeeeeeee........... bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin Matilda  :dance:

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Yayyyy go Judi, great idea, I'll have a copy too. The book your going to write that is.     bear_thumb

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

You guys are sooo nice...tooo nice , if that is even possible?  Your making my head swell........and putting a HUGE smile on my face.

BIG BIG GIANT (((((((((((((((((((((((( :hug: :hug:HUGS :hug: :hug:))))))))))))))))))))))

When ever I am feeling down and I am going to come here for a pick-me-up bear_wub bear_wub

WA

What? Ya dont want any head swelling malarky Karen.? bear_original I've got lots of it. I dont mind spreading it around. bear_grin bear_grin To the deserving that is bear_thumb

Board footer