Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Good for you, Bronwen . . . it's soooo necessary to stand up for our kids when injustice is aimed at them.  And it seems so unfair when it comes from an authority figure like a teacher, for goodness sake!  Tiffany, you are to be commended for wanting to learn a musical instrument and be in the band . . . hooray for you!!!   bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  Can't wait to see your photo!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Bronwen,
     The teacher was absolutely wrong and it's amazing that they can 't see the damage they do to children under these circumstances.
I'm glad you challenged them on your daughter's behalf.

Our son had a teacher in grade 5 that almost destroyed him!  She blatantly disliked boys and told us our son would never amount to anthing!  He had an auditory problem and couldn't process spoken instructions well and she absolutely refused to write her instructions OR repeat them, if he asked (no matter how politely)!  She was also the PRINCIPAL of the school!!!!!!   Once we figured out what was going on, we reported her to the school board, the newspaper and everyone in town that we could think of  in our very small town.  Thank goodness she was only his half time teacher and the other half teacher was brilliant.  We refused to allow him to attend classes with the rotten teacher - we actually took him out of classes for two weeks and took him on holiday instead.   After that he spent all day with the other teacher and passed on to the next grade.  This teacher was moved to another school at the end of the year.  It was very odd as parents of female children were upset with us, because they liked the teacher as she treated their children well.  There are definitely some people that should not be teachers!!!

hugs,

Brenda

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

What a great Mom for sticking up for your daughter!
When my daughter first started school, her teacher called me in and promptly told me that she was retarded and shouldn't be in her class.  Unfortunately I was at a time in my life that all I could do was be very upset about the whole thing, and not fight back at all.  The next year the same teacher said the same thing about my daughters cousin, and he has since gone on to be an accountant.  My daughter (who is now 38) graduated grade 12 with honours, and is anything but retarded.  She is a highly intelligent and bubbly individual who has a lovely family and holds down a very demanding job - and is a wiz at math.  I think she just couldn't settle down to a classroom atmosphere that was so very regimented.  So where some of these people get off on trying to put kids down I just don't know.  If they don't fit into some preconcieved notion of normal then these teachers just write them off.
Wow, this is the longest post I have done in quite a while - you really hit a nerve with me - ha ha!
Jane P.

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Everyone has been so fantastic here.  The support has really made my day(s). We are going to pick out her instrument for hire on the weekend and we will practice some things before school starts for us again in January.  Her cousin plays the clarinet and so they are going to spend some time practicing fingering.  She said she would be the best in her group and I believe her.
She makes me so proud.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Don't you wonder WHY some people go into the field of education when they obviously dislike it so much.  I've had my battles with teachers.  My daughter came home to tell me that one of her teachers tied them to their chairs...WHAT!!!   I of course asked about it...was told my daughter was a liar...so I showed up at school a few days later...guess what I found...the kids tied to their chairs...guess what teacher wasn't there the next year!!!

WITCH...well that's not exactly the word that comes to mind... bear_whistle

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Brownen: Your daughter is lucky to have a mother who advocates for her. Nice job. 

I guess when I think about it (kind of like the lyrics Kim posted on the Harry Capin song) that teachers like the one you encountered have braces on the brain. That destroys creativity. And the sad thing is, they will never know it. They will never be nothing but mediocer at best in their career. They don't have an original thought in their head...Thank goodness are teaching your daughter to see there are wonderful things that can be done by the young, old, big and small....Take the braces off the brain and it is clear...Keep encouraging her for she will be the artist and not the artisan.

Michelle

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Oh man, don't they understand what kind of damage they can do to a kid who is just trying to find herself?? She should be taught she can do anything if she tries hard enough and should be encouraged to do so.

I'm glad you stood up for her though. A good mom!

Stellajella Wien

Bronwen, this make me so angry!
Unbelievable that with all the knowledge a teacher could or should have the teacher did that. This is...boah, I donĀ“t find words!
When I went to school things like that were common,but to be so demoralising and demotivating- this teacher is utterly inacceptable to teach children something!
I remember all these I-know-it-all-people standing in front of a bunch of kids, not being able to express what they wante to say, not being able to pass their knowledge on.
And wisdome of heart is probably the only thing pupils can take from school into life.
You did not over react in any way, this "teacher" needs a lot of extra taining to become a true teacher.
Tiffany, you go girl! Next time they treat you badly, just tell your mom right away, and I wish you all the best in your career, no matter if you play the big drum, the cello or the flute.

:hug:
Gaby bear_flower

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

bear_flower

Board footer