Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Pages:
MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

I've had a couple of messages saying that the reason so many Teddy Talkers have won TOBYs is that I've somehow rigged the contest. I'm really sorry to put a damper on the celebrations of the artists who won and the friends who are happy for them. However, in case there are more people thinking these thoughts than expressing them to me, I wanted to be sure everyone understands clearly that the integrity of the contest is irrefutable. I'd like to share what I wrote to the accusers:

"I am insulted that you would say such a thing. I am not a judge, and I would never "fix" the TOBY competition. There is nothing for me to gain and everything to lose.

"I believe in what the people at Teddy Talk are doing, and I enjoy chatting the same as everyone else. I have personally encouraged many artists to join TT, and I will continue to promote the site and to visit myself. It's nice to connect with people in an informal way. But I would never let my visits to the board, or time spent with people at shows, or any personal preferences, influence the integrity of the contest. At most, I take joy in notifying people they have won -- whether I know them or not, and whether I, personally, like their work or not.

"The reason so many TT members won is that so many of them entered. There are more than 800 members on this board, and many of them are very, very good artists. Perhaps my active participation in TT encouraged them to enter, but it had nothing to do with their winning -- they did that on the merit of their art.  It's insulting to them and to me to suggest anything else."

If you have any doubts about the integrity of the contest, I hope this lays them to rest. These artists won because they submitted great work. The panel of judges was all new, they are experienced in the industry, they took their judging responsibilities very seriously, and they couldn't care less who I hang out with in cyberspace.

Congratulations to the winners. A sincere thanks to all of the friends who are celebrating with them. Many of you are showing grace in the face of your own disappointment, and that is truly lovely. And to the many, many members of Teddy Talk who entered -- you took the leap, and I appreciate it. Thank you.

Mindy

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Oh Mindy, I am soooo sorry  you have been targeted in such a way!  Shame on these disgruntled, people - I hesitate to call them artists, as I don't think a true artist would consider such a thing.   Anyone who has taken the time to find out about the judging process, knows it's impossible to rig this sort of contest!  It's based on so many things - quallity of pictures, quality of workmanship, appeal of the individual piece and last but not least, individual taste.  Yes, Teddy Talk is skyrocketing with it's membership and that's one of the reasons so many members have been nominated, but I'd also like to think it's because of the comradship and support we give to one another, and because this kind of display of poor sportsmanship would not be tolerated.  Please continue to join us in our chats - we all learn so much from you about the industry - how we can support it and how we can make it better.  Now dust those nasty comments off and don't give them another thought!

big hugs  :hug: ,

Brenda

P.S.:  I just saw the full Toby nominee list and noticed that a Canadian artist I know well, Ingrid Schmid,  has been nominated 5 times and she isn't a Teddy-Talk member.  I am just as thrilled for Ingrid as all the TT members!

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

I'm sorry that you had that negativity directed towards you, Mindy!   It is, unfortunately, the season for both winners and "sour grapes".  Yes, there certainly were a lot of people from Teddy Talk that were nominated, and probably will be quite a few for the Golden Teddies as well.  I was thinking about it and realized there were probably some fairly good reasons for it.

#1 Sheer volume and scope of membership.  Many members, some of whom only post VERY occasionally.  Sure, when we congratulated people, we even congratulated people that really aren't "here" anymore.

#2 I remember during last year's contests, how many posts were made encouraging people to give it a try and enter the contests.  Technical advice was given, hands were held... however you want to look at it.  People were encouraged to step outside their comfort zones, have confidence in themselves and take a leap of faith.   Did that result in a surge of entrants from people that read those posts on TT?  I don't know.  There certainly were people from TT who entered this year's contests that did not enter last year.   I also noticed that it seemed like quite a few of the winners this year were international entrants.  This is definitely an international forum.  Did the discussions of the two US contests on this board last year encourage more international artists to try?  Possibly.

You know, it works the other way, too.  There are US artists who have started to enter the non-US competitions now that they did not previously... because they talked to international artists here and decided to give it a go.

Thank you for all your hard work, Mindy.  By the way, you forgot to tip the balance in my favor and give me an award this year.  What's up with that?
:hug:

Kelly

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Mindy I am sorry to hear that you have been targeted in this way.... Shame on those who have accused you. I also hope that you continue to visit us on TT as you give alot here. I love the show pics and learning of what happening in and around TBand Friends. The ones that have won awards and nominations are well deserved as they are all great artists.

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

Oh dear!  I think it's  just aweful that you even need to write a letter like the one above.  I definately think it clears things up and I'm extreemly proud to be a TT member surrounded by so much tallent, nominated or not!
I am thrilled for all of those who recieved a nomination and even more thirlled for those who had the courage to enter their art to be judged........it's not an easy thing to do.  I wimped out at the last minute and I am kicking myself for it.  Of course there were many TT-ers nominated, look at the tallent and look at all of the encouragement and support that is given here!  I don't know what I'd do without my daily dose of TT!

Thank you Mindy for your hard work.........if it wasn't for you I wouldn't have found this woderful place and made so many new friends!

Hugs, :hug:

AndreaM

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

It MUST be Mindy's fault. It couldn't POSSIBLY have anything to do with the quality of an artist's work that they didn't win, now could it? It has to be SOMEONE else's fault. Those disgruntled artists need to take ownership of their work, first and foremost. Shame on them!

I'll admit, I was getting sick of seeing all these posts on the index page for award winners. I mean, it was really rubbing it in my face that I didn't put the effort forth or have the time for that matter to get an entry in. It made me really mad at myself! BUT.... I was so excited to see all those names of folks who had won. And then I realized that of COURSE there would be lots of members, both regular, and 'occassional' ones, who would be mentioned. Just LOOK at how many artists are on TT.

Mindy, you shouldn't even have to explain yourself over this (though I understand why you did!)

It's incidents like this, and others that go on on this board and at shows, etc. that remind me that not ALL teddy bear people are truly lovey, huggy, friendly, compassionate people like teddy bears are. Thankfully they are the minority and make us appreciate the genuine folks that much more!
:hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm with Kelly!  I work hard here at TT, so if you're doing favors for Teddy Talk artists Mindy, where's my TOBY?  And Sue Ann's TOBY?  Cause she's here a lot, too, holding hands, offering free patterns, and encouragement, and validation, and support.  And we both entered.  And we didn't get one.  Neither one of us.  And we've ADVISORS here; doesn't that mean we should have gotten TWO nominations?  And we've gotten them before!  What's up with that??  Aren't you paying attention???

I guess this means that either you're not "fixing" the contest right for us TTers, Mindy... or the contest isn't fixed at all

Gee, I wonder which conclusion I'll likely draw.

bear_whistle

I'm absolutely delighted that so many Teddy Talk participants -- whether one time participants, or folks who blather here every day (like me!) -- got nominations.  I like to think that Teddy Talk has become a GATHERING PLACE for the talented and passionate in this industry, and you can't imagine how incredily proud I am to have been a part of that from the "inside."  It seems that way to me -- that we're a gathering place for talent and passion and brave souls -- especially given conversations like the ones that went on here last week about how to help the industry come out of a slump.  And when I look at the work displayed here on a regular basis, I'm just slack-jawed at the ability and beauty I see.  People here CARE about the industry and about teddy bears and are willing to work hard and stretch themselves for both.

Of course, not EVERYONE with passion and talent in the industry participates here, and that's good too; it's nice to keep some mystery in pockets, eh?  But we have a big share of talent showing up here from time to time.  That much is clear to anyone, I think.

Therefore, it certainly seems to me, pondered purely statistically, that with 800-some-odd members here at TT, some of whom are gaining momentum and technical skill in their bearmaking on a daily basis, there's bound to be the sheer coincidence of TOBY nominations, and TT membership, at some crossroads in the contests. 

Despite the coincidence of nomination and TT membership, though, I was able to count 45 nominations across nine categories for artist entries  of which at least 22 aren't, that I know of, affiliated with TT in any way, and never have been -- including folks like Michelle Lamb and Ingrid Schmid who swept several categories with their nominations.  So clearly membership in TT isn't a prerequisite for nomination.

Daphne makes a good point about the quality and originality of artist entries.  Also, I always keep in mind that the judging panel are HUMAN BEINGS.  They have individual opinions, preferences, and tastes.  They don't know whose photos they are reviewing (although admittedly, in some cases, they might suspect), but they likely DO have preferences, and those preferences will likely dictate which pieces they find most "worthy" in a given year.  It's like a job interview in some ways; sometimes you click with your interviewer, and sometimes you don't.  Whether or not you get the job sometimes comes down NOT to talent or ability or even experience, but to FIT, in THAT moment, in THAT place, at THAT time.  This year I guess my entry didn't "fit."  Last year it did.  Next year I hope it does again.  I'm a member at Teddy Talk, after all.  Will that help me for 2008, Mindy?  (Cracking up here, and wincing, too, at the thought...)

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, Mindy; it's not about you, it's about disappointment, and how people who are hurting sometimes handle it.  You must have maybe the hardest job on earth -- you and the TBR editor -- during the contest nomination process every winter.  I don't envy you that task one bit.

Even if you feel like a target right now -- and believe me, I know THAT feeling better than I'd like, myself -- realize that like any person in the line of fire, you're probably being attacked by far fewer people than you imagine, and are better loved -- and far more SEEN -- by more than you know.

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

By the way Mindy, my mother sends her sympathies.  She used to help organize fine art contests (paintings and such).  She said it was like juggling vipers sometimes, and she got torn apart on several occasions.  People get very emotionally invested in competitions, and it can turn otherwise sane individuals into... well... nutjobs.

I was thinking about this situation and realized something.  So, people are accusing Mindy of favoritism to members of Teddy Talk because she occasionally posts on Teddy Talk.  How would they know she was here, if they weren't here, too?

Food for thought.
Kelly

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oh Mindy, this is terrible.  I am feeling exactly like Daphne - I should have entered.  I'm feeling left out that I didn't enter (would expect to get a nomination, but I still feel left out LOL!!!!)

But for anyone to suggest that the Toby awards is rigged to allow as many TTers in as possible is just offensive to everyone involved - including the nominations!
Danni

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Hi Mindy, that is totally off the wall! I can't believe anyone would email you and say something like that!
You work so hard! Sorry you had to deal with all of that!
Big hugzzzzzzzzzzzzzz your way!!

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Mindy Steve and I have to agree with what everyone else has been saying.  I think it's just sour grapes, I mean we entered but didn't get a nod in our direction.  All that tells me is that next yr we try harder, we come up with something different and just work your butt off to impress the judges.

People have to remember that it's not always about the quality of the work, remember that you need to have excellent pictures as well.  You can have the best bear in the world but if your have a crappy pic then it's not going to show off your work.  Shelli I know you have wrote a couple of articles on this and they were very informative and helpful.  Everyone on TT is there for the other person and if they are trying something new they ask, people respond with ideas to help them out.   I think it's this friendship that bonds the TT's together and THATS why there are so many of them winning awards and getting the recognition.

I think it's an insult to Minday and TB&R and to all TT's,  people just need to grow up and realize that not everyone can be nominated.  There are tons of great artist out there who entered and didn't get a nomination, that doesn't mean their work wasn't good it just means that their bear did not catch the eye of the judges this time.

I'm sorry this has happened to you Mindy, you work so hard and do a fantastic job, you don't deserve to be treated like that.  But on a hight note you do get to call a lot of the nominee's and hear them scream with joy.

big hugs

Shane

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Being a member of TT has something to do with being in the running for getting nominated in the TOBYs or any other award..and to my mind the reason is that we share so much as a group that by being a member you can't do anything other than soak up all that information that  all of us share. Techniques, ideas , sources for things...where do I get this..how do I make that..and the result is that all our bears get better and we evolve to become better at what we do and how we do it.

In the time I have been here I know my work has  grown in stature and quality and that's because I have utilised all the information I have gathered in that time..not just from TT but certainly ideas start to germinate here through being an active...or not active ..member of groups such as this.

So I have TT to thank , in part, for my nomination but not because of some underhanded favouritism which insults everyones integrity. I hope that my bear was picked out because he was good enough.

Thanks for sharing this Mindy and I hope that you are not discouraged to be part of TT in the future..being nominated has given me a new, fresh wind in my sails and I now have new ideas  popping into my head all the time..(planning next year already) and it's saddening to think that there are people who would discredit what it's taken me 5 years and hard, hard work to achieve..and others will say similar.

Sour grapes...that's all it is...nothing more, nothing less :hug:

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

I'll admit, I was getting sick of seeing all these posts on the index page for award winners. I mean, it was really rubbing it in my face that I didn't put the effort forth or have the time for that matter to get an entry in. It made me really mad at myself!

HA HA HA - that's so funny Daff  :crackup: nice one! Try next year huh?

I suppose it was inevitable Mindy - there will always be someone who is suspicious at the amount of TT members who have won. But as many have already said - TT members were encouraged to enter, they did and they won. Simple as that.

If we were all crap here none of us would win anything would we? You only have to see some of the winners pics to know that they have won on merit not favouritism.

Sounds like someone is sucking lemons  :crackup:

Penny  bear_tongue

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

How unnecessary and how disappointing. 

Teddy Talk is a great source of support and inspiration and as you say Mindy, it's lovely for us all to share a chat here in Cyberspace, but to suggest that anyone would be given preferential treatment in such a way is ludicrous and mightily offensive to the integrity of all who entered the TOBYS and all who gave their time to judge.

The talent on TT is self evident, this place just oozes it, so it's no wonder to me it is being justly rewarded, alongside non-TT talent.

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

Oh boy!!!  I think I just remembered why I haven't entered any competition for ten years!!! bear_grin   
It did occur to me yesterday that this year is the first time there has been a forum for people to really share their joys and heartaches over the awards - and I'm proud of TT for providing that safe space in which to do it!  However, there is always going to be a minority who cannot accept losing, without coming up with some conspiracy theory to comfort themselves and poison the well of other people's happines.  However, these people are losers twice over - lucking out on getting an award is one thing, but they chose to throw away their dignity as well by making these comments.
Mindy - I think you you did a great job of defending your integrity (not that you should have to!), and I will never forget the sound of your dulcet tones coming down the 'phone line on Monday!! bear_laugh   I doubt this will ever happen to me again because I think it is going to be another ten years before I pluck up the courage to enter anything, but for now I am proud to be a nominee - and my little bear's new owner is even more thrilled.  At the end of the day THAT is what matters most - our collectors make the ultimate decision on whether we are winners or losers, and their decision truly is final!!
Hugs to everyone,
Chrisx

sarahjane Brisbane

I personally have really enjoyed just being on TT the last day or two...basking in the reflected glory as such!!!  bear_grin
The other girls have said much better than me but I am so sorry that you have had to tolerate such a disappointing reaction from some.  bear_sad

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

If you enter any contest you know that you can be disappointed if you do not win but even if the people who are complaining didn't enter no one can deny that those that have got nominations haven't deserved them with the outstanding quality of their work.
There could be many others that could have been nominated as their quality of work is just as good but that is what you get in competions some you win :dance:  some you lose. bear_sad
Laurie :hug:

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

It just had to happen I suppose, if you are seen to be amongst them, then you are one of them and in cahoots with them so I am wondering just where the heck my nomination went too :doh:  :doh:  :doh:

Now I tried bribing the teacher with an apple, but by time it reached USA it was rotten :crackup:  :crackup: so I already have a disadvantage .

Now I am going back to my corner to sulk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bear_tongue

Lynette

Stellajella Wien

I knew it! I just knew it! It was fixed from the start! That´s why my bears didn´t make it! bear_tongue

Reminds me of the story of the guy, who was really angry with god and in his dispair fell to his knees, raising his arms to heaven, screeming: OH god, you are so mean! So many others win in the lottery, why do I never win? Why, oh god, WHY???
And a large cloud moved over him, and in a deep voice ( sort of like Sean Connery I would imagine) god said the words to him, that would follow him to the grave: WHY DON´T YOU GIVE ME A CHANCE? GO AND BUY A LOTTERY TICKET ONCE!

Mindy, I guess you don´t take accusations like the ones you recieve personally, and I know, that you love to do what you do. So I wish you ength in forgiving those who complained to you – and a short memory, like I have ;)
What just puzzles me: how do people, who are obviousely not a member on TT know about people who are a member on TT, and why, if they think, that TT-members are privileged in winning awards, they don´t become a member of TT themselves, and, is the light in the fridge still on when you close the door??

Honestly I think, that each participating bear is more than beautiful, it takes some guts to enter, but not every bear can win. And we all know, that there will always be this one person, who is jealous of somebody who wins. Envy & grudge- characteristics of human beings and I guess, they´ll never be extinguished. Too sad that tehy waste their energy for grudging rather than improving their skills or just stoip to smell the roses.

Mindy, you do a great job!
Have a smashing day

Gaby :rose:

Oopsie, useless to mention: I had not entered a bear for TOBY  bear_tongue

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Oh Mindy, I am so sorry!  :hug:  :hug:   We DO have many VERY VERY talented girls here, and a few past Toby winners here too.... No wonder we have so many winners here! :clap:  :clap:   (which reminds me, I have to enter next year!)

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Oh  Mindy, how utterly insensitive for people to accuse you of such a thing. As you said, you have everything to lose by rigging the contest.  If there are 800 members here, then isn't it just logical that many entered so many of them may be nominated.  Without the support, and encouragement from everyone here I certainly never would have had the guts to enter this year.  I didn't win, but does that give me the right to criticize you and the contest-hardly.  That is just petty childishness.   You lose, you learn , you shed a tear, over-indulge on chocolate  bear_happy and  move on trying harder next time. Mostly, rejoice with the winners.

Besides, how can it be rigged when we the  pictures are labeled on the back so the judges can't see who the artist is. Ya they could peek and sure some artist's work is very recognizable.  But, after seeing the nominees I think the judges made wonderfu choices.  I'm happy for everyone, TT member or not.   

Seems to me in the past some people were complaining that the same artists were winnng every year.  You just can't please everyone Mindy, so don't worry about it.  We know the contest is fair and honest.  I still think we should rename it the TT awards though  bear_tongue  ( just teasing)   I hope you continue to participate on TT, your input is valuable.  :hug:  :hug:

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Mindy!
Ugh, GOOD GRIEF what is WRONG with people?! Of course you rigged the judging..you slipped all the judges that super duper teddy talk enhancing drink you concocted in your secret underground cave...Quick to the Bear Cave! <good grief :doh: >

In my personal experience when there's behind the scence garbage like this going on it's usually just the individual "party pooper sour graper" and NOT anyone else at all.  The sourer graper makes it sound like they've got more in their corner..but it's almost always just them and their multiples creating a crowd!  bear_wacko

I hope that you don't personally take the negativity to heart.  You're doing so much for the bear making community, ALL of the community/industry.   bear_thumb

~Chrissi

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Mindy,  sorry you were insulted like that! But I think Chrissi is right. The complainers are the exception. I think most bear artist are thrilled with what the contests and your magazine in general provide for collectors and artists alike. Please don't let it bother you and please keep posting on TT!!

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I guess this is why I tend to shy away from competition.  It not only brings out the best in people, it also brings out the worst.  My daughter-in-law kept at me to enter Florette the skunk this year, but I put off and put off until it was too late.  In reality, I fear the whole competition thing.  So it is nobody's fault but my own that I did not enter.  If I had entered and not won, it still would be nobody's fault.  That's the nature of the beast.  Unfortunately, it is the way of the world today to place the blame on someone else.  I am sorry, Mindy, that you are on the receiving end of this nasty behavior.

Just a quick competition story here:  Years ago we were having a harvest party at a church I attended.  One of the events was a pumpkin pie contest.  I entered (not to brag, but I do make a mean pumpkin pie).  I won first place fair and square.  There were people who would not even speak to me after that contest.  All because of a stupid pumpkin pie.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Unbelievable. I didn't have the courage and didn't want to take the time to enter but have been basking in the glory of those who did, nominated or not. I feel good visiting TT every day and have learned so much in the past couple of years. I just can't understand mean-spirited people like that.  bear_angry

Marion

Pages:

Board footer