Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Pages:
Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

A pin cushion brush is a necessity when working with mohair... forgot to tell you! Wait til you're all done, then brush and voila! A beautiful bear will greet you!

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Is a pincushion brush different then the finger brush?  Or one and the same?  And stop forgetting to tell me these little things...jeez... bear_happy

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

bear_laugh A pin coushion brush is the same as a finger brush, it's just bigger, has a handle... like ones used on little dogs. You can get them at Wal Mart or pet supply places. Edinburgh has them, Intercal may also. I like the handled brushes as they are easier to hang on to and better for brushing the body yet small enough to still do around the face.

Willamette Valley Oregon

Hey...I got one of those too...yippeeee!!!!!  Well, I better get busy...

Thanks everyone...you know one of these days I'll stop asking questions... bear_grin bear_grin

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Good luck with your eye operation Shantell, hope that it goes well for you.
And the new mohair Bear....  we are  looking forward to  seeing soon.

Hugs
Carolyn

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Do not judge your work until you are finished and brushed- the little buggers look like matted rats until you get to the fluff and primp stage

dily bear_tongue

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Shantell, I just love that matted mohair ...You crack me up " rotten furry apple or dust bunny or matted mangey dog " LOL, LOL, LOL....maybe you should try to make a forlone doggie like that . I use a bunka brush to fluff up that fur, its fun to work with....Winney

Willamette Valley Oregon

Glad I could give you a laugh, Winney.  I'm telling you, it was just frightening what his poor little head looked like...all faceless and a matted mess.  But, I finally got this little bruin all put together and I ran out of stuffing...can you believe it?  It never fails...I'm on a deadline and I run out of something...good grief, Charlie Brown!!!

I know it's only Monday, Shantell, but I'm thinking of you and hoping for smooth sailing in your surgery tomarrow

Dilu

Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks Dilu....I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed today.  I've been through this a time or two and shouldn't be but I am.  My sister-in-law is flying in today from Arizona to be my chauffer for the next 10 days and my oldest son, Kyle is taking me tomorrow.  I have my ducks in a row but I'm still overwhelmed. 

I'll ask my housemate to send a message tomorrow when I get back letting everyone know I'm fine.

Love to you all...

Shantell

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I havent gotten Intercal mohair yet... I need to pest my hubby.... I dont know which kind and color to start with.... that is my biggest problem!  Any starter ideas gals?

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Ahhh get em all :P

Go for what ever you like!!!!

Everyone has different tastes in mohair - I like my colours more natural... but that's personal preference!
Danni

Willamette Valley Oregon

I purchased one of the pre-paks...I got four 1/4 fat quarters.  They are all the same kind but in a different color...and I'm quite happy.  I cut out a small section that the tag is attached to for future reference.   Probably not the most economical way to go but I'd rather have a small piece of something I dislike that an whole yard of it to deal with later.  There are also samples available which I keep intending on ordering but haven't yet.  I'm such a feel it person that I have a hard time just looking at the pictures.  The other thing I did was I went to the "photo gallery" and wrote down bears that I liked and the kind of mohair that was used on it.  Just an idea....

Shantell

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

We're all rooting for you., and waiting with baited breathe for the next installment of 'Shantells 'OH NO'...........Will that mauld head survive the ministrations of the 'FINGER BRUSH' agh!.......:lol::lol:

Oh silly Kim- you are too funny

Go through the site and look at the bears and choose the fabric you love!

I have never ever ever received anything from INTERCAL that was not top notch!  Everything comes carefully wrapped, and all the products are first class and it is really fun to have UPS coming and bringing Christmas in a box!

Also there is so many wonderful fabrics....

another way to do it is to start buying whatever is on sale each week-and thereby build up a stash....

OK no one could do it every week, but maybe every month? 

OR

save it up so you can get 2 yards at a time, and they don't have to be the same fabrics, just full yards, and they sell it at practically wholesale- that's how I try to do it now-  less frequent orders but the money saved goes into eyes and upholstery thread- etc.

This is not an inexpensive hobby-passion-cottage bussiness-obsession-addiction-avocation-hmmmmm can't think of any others

Dilly

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

All this talk about buying new mohair made me up and order a gajillion totally new 1/4 and 1/3 yard pieces today, at great prices to boot.  Yes, it's Christmas in a box!  I can't wait!

Yay!!! Christmas is coming early for Shelli and Kim and I just got a package today!  WooHoo!  Gotta remember that poor UPS guy at Real Christmas time-  He is so good to us, brings everything in and puts it by the door ( when the gate isn't locked) and hides it when the gate is locked.  Guess he knows some of my neighbors :lol::lol::lol:

Dilu

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm in love with my UPS guy, cause my Golden Teddy award arrived today, from his hands to mine.  It's incredibly heavy and made of crystal and beautiful and etched and I love it and I've never won anything like it and I'm gonna put it in a huge showcase and just <sigh> admire myself in the achievement of it....  laughing here.  But also, kinda serious.

When I get a chance, if it's not seen as too obnoxious of me, I'll grab a photo and post it to share with all my bear friends here. 

As for Intercal mohair, I'm with Dilu.  I've always been extraordinarily pleased, and they ship like lightning, like THAT afternoon, with arrival a short few days thereafter at no extra "quick ship" cost.  I can't wait to get my new stuff; for the first time ever I ordered a ton of short, sparse bits.  I used to be the dense, wavy girl.  Ah, a challenge... bear_happy

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

OH, Shelli, most DEFINITELY post a picture of that award, preferable with YOU holding it!! Nothing obnoxious about it! You deserve all the ooooohs and aaaaaaaahs and 'well done's we can give you!

Daphne

PS... Anyone got some extra room on their credit card to order me a big box of mohair?????? I've put myself on hold until I use up at least half of what's already in my closet.... maybe 10 yards or so that I must use.... I don't see any new mohair arriving here til next year at that rate! Well, except for that 2" mohair but that's for special orders and paid for already so doesn't count. bear_sad

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Dilu wrote:

Gotta remember that poor UPS guy at Real Christmas time-

Yep me too!  Especially when he delivers my candle making supplies (one box of wax weighs 50#'s!) 

Ummm... yeah... yet another thing that distracts me from my bearmaking.... bear_rolleyes

Pages:

Board footer