Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Earlier this year I made a quilt square. The first one I had ever made. Was very proud of it too. I made it specifically to submit for the citizenship quilt, to commemorate citzinship day. Which was last Weekend.
I recieved a letter from the immigration department saying that my square had been accepted. Well that was nice. I didnt think I would hear anything else. But I did. I recieved an invitation to join the unveiling of this quilt in Canberra. Because my square was one of those not only accepted but USED to make the quilt. Well I was well and truely chuffed. I wrote a letter saying that I was unable to make it but if and when it comes to Perth I would then love an invitation.  WELL I recieved a letter from the Local Federal Representitive here, who said that he has seen my square which a photo had been faxed to him and would like to invite me to join the celebrations for citizenship day here in Perth. Again I was well CHUFFED. The week before as you all know (because I havent been shy about it)       The 2 bears I entered in the coastal doll& bear show won ribbons and an award. I got a trophy:lol:   Earlier this year My hot water system blew. It took the stove top out with it as well. The oven was already on its last legs. I disliked my silly little kitchen so decided that this was the right moment to get a new kitchen. A good aquaintance of mine that I attend hyrotherapy with is a cabinet maker (retired) He is 86yrs.
Offered to make up the kitchen to my specifications. WE built this kitchen together. I could'nt be more proud or more grateful for the way things turn out for me. Every time I look at this bench (solid Jarrah) my goodness it is beautiful, I tear up. Something of my friend will go on for a long time after he is gone. I got the kitchen that "I" wanted not a carbon copy of a gazillion(I love this word. no apologies for pinching it):lol:others.
Well thats me up to this point. I love my life.

Did anyone see the movie "LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL" I cried at the end. It really hit a cord.

NEXT.....

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Matilda !
Do you have a photo of the quilt square??
I love to see it if you have !! Please Please Please !!
I am very happy for you and thanks for sharing your
story. bear_original

Gina, thank for sharing your heart warming story. bear_original
It makes me smile gently.

Hugs/Marie

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oh wow Matilda, seems like life is wonderful for you at the moment, and lets hope it's always this "wonderful!"  Congrats on all the fantastic things - I am so happy for you! (Jealous about that new kitchen of yours though!)  YES! We want photos!

Ooh Gina - that story touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes.. THankyou for sharing it.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Ooooh Gina, words can not express the love your son has for you......

I have a tear in eye I'm so happy for you. Ya Bugga:)

Pic's soon folks. patience.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Thanks, Matilda

We need to be reminded of the good stuff and count our blessings!

bear_laugh Gina,

What a triumph! You are a supermom :cool:

Eileen

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

If we listen to or read the news, we begin to think that this whole world is full of cruelty and hatefulness.  It really is not.  We have to stop sometimes and give center stage to some of the good things in life.  All of the attention need not go to the bad.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Yep time to slow down and smell the roses. Thanks that is just what I need at the moment. Anyway could be worse its sunny and warm here and not RAINING!

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

good news is so much nicer to hear and unfortunately so rare.
Thanks for sharing

Marion

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Matilda...what a breath of fresh air you post has brought.  I love to read happy things.  Your friend reminds me of a novel I just finished called...The Poet of Tolstoy Park by Sonny Brewer.  It is an absolutely fabulous story, if you can get it there at your library.  It is very short to me, only abut 250 pages (for me that is like reading a comic book) and I ususally don't like to read that short of a book...but WOW, it is good!
I can visualize your kitchen in my mind, so please post some pictures if you can and bring my vision into reality.
Before I forget...what is CHUFFED? :lol:
And the nonor of having you quilt square placed into a quilt that will be historical.  That must put you beyond HAPPY!  WEll, congratulations and I don't blame you at all for wanting to bask in your happiness.  I always try to take what little or big joy that comes my way and dwell on that alone.

Gina, I can only imagine the joy you  must have felt with your little boy.  There is just something about a hug and a smile that nothing else can take the place of.  One time, my son got his finger caught in the garage door bracket.  It was not just a pinch, it almost crushed his little finger.  After getting it out and making sure it wasn't broken...there was just nothing I could verbally do to calm him down and we just sat on the sofa and hugged for a good 1/2 hour.  That hug said it all.  I think a mothers arms wrapped around a child is the best medicine in the whole world!  I am so thrilled for both of you, he was obviously feeling the need for your arms and I know your arms needed him!
Blessings and love to you both for sharing....tis a happy day today, indeed.
Nanc.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Matilda I don't want to 'insult' you but have you got British family with mentioning immigration (might of missed something here)? bear_laugh I read it and did not take any notice of the 'well chuffed' bit until Nancy said. Very northen English.

Means very pleased with yourself or a situation.

I'm as pleased as punch for you!:)

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh As Robert Frost put it, "Happiness makes up in height what it lacks in length"!

I'm glad we can keep celebrating the good times while we pull one another through the bad ones . . . what a bunch of sweet people you all are!

Eileen

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Life is wonderfull. It's ALWAYS good to think on the positive side. Really effects your whole life. Or at least that's what I believe.
Soo jealous of your kitchen Matilda, what a special gift you got.

Gina, I have a nephew that is autistic, and he had touched my life forever. There is something soo special about autistic children, they are soo smart, so quiet and thoughtfull. They can teach you alot about yourself.

Thanks for sharing the 'nice' stuff

Heather

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Matilda, you are on a roll.  I hope it last for you.  Congrats on the awards, and the kitchen.   

Gina, your story brought tears to my eyes too.  Children really are a gift from God, and they know how to touch our hearts when we need it most  !

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Matilda and Gina . . . thanks so much for your stories!  We do need to stop and count our blessings from time to time and realize we are very lucky people.  Thank you for reminding us!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Gina your story brought tears to my eyes as well - it is funny how somtimes actions speak louder than words and how something so simple can have such a big effect on things bear_original

Matilda - congrats on all your achievements bear_original I am going to try to enter my bears in local contests next year bear_original

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Matilda,that's so wonderful,you deserve all the honor and praise and thank-you for sharing.I would love to see pictures.Did you say Canberra?I think that is where my great aunt settled with her husband when she left Scotland.:D

Gina,I am so touched by your story and I love the way marie put it,"touched gently" .You are certianly making a world of difference in your autistic sons life and of course he in yours.Treasure the moments.

Hugs and soft blessings,shari.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Gina, I am so glad that you have this memory of your little guy kissing you, to treasure and hold on to forever.

Matilda, I am right chuffed for you!  What wonderful things to have happen!  And you are right, your good friend the cabinet maker put his friendship and love into those cabinets of yours.  Something to hang onto.

We are doing a Bible study here.  It is on fruits of the spirit.  The first being JOY

I have been disabled and for the last year barely able to walk, (no cartelidge in the left knee, which is a bummer-no hiking, no bike riding.....)

So I thought, how do I find joy in this situation.  How do I find joy in pain?  Can we?  I believe so.

Pain humbles me.  It reminds me that I am not standing alone in this world, I am dependent on others for assistance at times, and I am always dependant on God.  However He is always faithful, and He will see me through all the pain.  Well, that is a life sustaining and JOYful message.

Pain teaches me empathy.  By experiencing my own pain I have an understanding of what others go through.  By knowing their pain I am better able to be a true friend, and help support them through their troubled times.

How lucky I am to live in a western civilization that has advanced medicine.  There are medications to block the sensation of pain.  There are wonderful surgeons to do surgeries that help all of us survive better and more healthily.  For me knowing that I will have the knee replacement surgery eventually but in the meantime have a killer diller brace and medication to get me over the rough spots is a JOY to recognize and give thanks for.

I can find joy in pain, and if  I can find it in pain then I can find it in every situation.  It truly is a wonderful life, I am so grateful to be alive.  I

One of the most full of joy experiences, for me, is coming here.  I believe that you ladies here are so positive, so supportive and so joyful in your lives.  I believe that you share and express this joy in your bears, and in your posts.  I don't think that you ladies understand how incredable you are, and what a joy you are to so many of us. 

Full of Joy while the gollies are sleeping

bear_tongue

Australia

Shari - I'm in Canberra bear_original  Funny little world isn't it?

Danni

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Danni,are you my long lost cousie? Speaking of funny,I wasn't sure if I should mention this but J.D. lived about 5 min away from where I live (no I didn't know him though,too young) and now he is a member of INXS.I don't know if you are a fan but our county is just so thrilled.I hope Australia is pleased with the choice.Hugs dear cousin,Shari.

Australia

Oooh I have a long lost cousin - fantastic...  Oooh not only do you make bears, but your bears are on the top of my list as the most wonderful bears LOL

I didn't watch the INXS show - sounded good though -  I'm more of an Idol fan myself hehe.  Congrats on having osmeone from your era take it out!  How exciting!

Danni

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Aww,thanks Danni,your so swett,oh my gosh,I'm so tired  and the meds I just took for my legs must have kicked in and I can't spell.i tried fixing but now i'm just going to try and getb it right.I think I spelled my own name wrong over on the bears fro sale when I left a message about your adorable bear.Now I have to get more info from my Mom about het  aunt.Her name was Nan,she was born in Scotland...... oikay cos,I'll have to pick this up tomorrow.Please excuse my brain,it seems to be asleep.hugs,shareo,see wrong again bear_grin Shari.

Australia

bear_grin   bear_grin   bear_laugh   bear_laugh    :P

You are funny Shari!

Shari

What's a SWETT?  We aughta have a rule about idoms-Hmmmm

Idioms for Idiots   :D

bear_tongue

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Oh  my,I should just erase that whole post,"swett" was supposed to be sweet and there are a whole bunch of other spelling mistakes of which I am embarrassed.I had no business posting while my brain was not working.I started a teaching job yesterday,just 20% (1 day a week) but then I am on call to fill in anywhere in the county but I am supposed to be "off my feet" to let my leg heal and I over did it yesterday.Then my kids dragged me to town(actually,I drove because they are too young) and by the time I got home I was in pain and worn out.
Anyway ,please disregard previous post and I wanted to say ,Danni is so sweet!

Hugs,shari.

Oh Shari!  Too funny I am laughing my head off here at myself!  Me the typo queen!

I truly did think it was an idiom, given where all you gals are from and that we started off with CHUFFED. 

Oh well, thank goodness we get to laugh at ourselves. For some of us there will be no end to the comic relief! bear_grin:lol::lol:

Board footer