Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Pages:
kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Wow - I really never thought of this! I never realized what that subtitle was for... Maybe I will sell more.. you gals are great! I am going to sit down tonight and rewrite my auctions and try to relist (and take better pics since I figured out how to use my camera!)  I have a lot to do tonight!

You gals are great bear_cool

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Oh... and the words in your subtitle DO get 'read' when someone does a "title search."  Not just when they search in titles and descriptions.

Beary truly yours,
Kim basta
Wild Thyme Originals

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Sheesh, I didnt realize how little I knew about ebay!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Yep Kim, I'm using the subtitle too.  But I thought the search in the subtitle only works of the person doing a search checks the box that says "Search title and description" :/

THis is why I was thinking that.... this is what it says on eBay's seller form when i"m listing....:

"Add a Subtitle (searchable by item description only) to give buyers more information"

Maybe they've changed the search parameters but didn't change the seller form words yet???

Hudson, Ohio

Oh Yes Laura Lynn... I just double checked and you are absolutely 100% flat out right!  The subtitle key word do only show up in a search when a person is doing a search in title & description.  I stand corrected!  See... e Bay REALLY is a learning experience!

Beary truly yours,
Kim basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Reading this thread has made me think I should include the word 'artist' in the title of my auctions. I've always been shy of describing myself as that, but if people are searching for the word then perhaps I'm not doing myself any favours? Some useful info here, thanks everyone!

Hudson, Ohio

I don't think you should be hesitant to use the word 'artist' in your auction titles, or for any other purpose at all Helena!  Your bears are positively lovely!  bear_laugh  I won't touch the whole debate about whether it's proper to use the term 'art' to describe a personally designed, handmade teddy bear with a ten foot felting needle!!!!  But, what i do know is that it is an absolutely standard "term of art" (there's that word again!) in our industry to distinguish such a bear from a manufactured teddy.  Again, it's a top 10 search word, and you should certainly use it!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

clare14 Country Bears
England

Helena I find it really hard to call myself an 'artist', well in fact I don't, ever, I 'make' bears, that's what I tell people:)   I know what you mean.   

Am I right in thinking you sell your bears in $ and not £'s??   I've noticed UK artists doing that, and just wondered why?   Do you find you get more attention from collectors in the US doing this??   Sorry I'm sooo inqusitive (sp?)!:D

Also, I notice that US artists use the ebay feature service far more than us Brits (it's quite expensive here if, like me, you don't get much for your bears), but it does get your bear 'in your face', maybe I'll try it in the future...........I'll try anything once:lol:

I always list my heading as (for example)

TOBY 14" ARTIST BEAR BY DAVIS-TEDDS OOAK!

and since I've been putting 'Davis-Tedds' in my title I've found it a bit more successful.   

What works for you in the eBay world??

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Thankyou Kim! I confess I was a little confused about the word 'artist' in relation to bears when I first started out. But it makes much more sense to me now. Perhaps it's my British reserve that has made me hesistant to use the word.....but, as you say, it's a common search term on eBay and that's where I sell my bears. So I'll add it in!

Actually, on this subject (and hopefully not fuelling any debate!), my sense of appreciation for artist made bears has definitely grown since I started bear-making. How could it fail to with so many wonderful creations around! I now look at them in the same way I might look at a painting, and can wile away a lot of time enjoying the photos of them here and on the web, marvelling at the skill of the creator and the beauty of the object. It's like I opened the door into another world....boy, am I glad I found it!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Whichever side of the 'bears as art?' debate you're on, I think it's fair to include the word "artist" in an eBay listing. In this case, it's not a matter of philosophy, but an established term for hand-made one-of-a-kind or limited edition bears.

Eileen

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Hi Clare, I also tell people I 'make' bears....have you ever had that funny look that I get sometimes?! bear_grin I'm sure most people have no idea what I mean, but they soon find out!!!

As for eBay, I list in $ to make my auctions open to as many people as possible. I don't know for certain it's the right strategy, but it seems to be working for me at the moment. I have worried from time to time that it might put UK buyers off - but it doesn't seem to be the case in general. Trying different ways of listing is a good idea. I might try listing one or two on eBay UK again, and see what happens.

I'm not yet brave enough to list in the featured items section! I'm sure it must give more exposure though (perhaps others could give an opinion on this?).

Have you tried the word mohair in your title? That would bring more hits, providing your bear is mohair of course! I include the words mini and miniature for the little ones, which helps :).

clare14 Country Bears
England

Yes I get those looks too!!   bear_grin  I am PROUD of what I do, and like to tell people I think will be interested :pray:  Some may take the mick, but most are really interested bear_original  (or humour me, one or the other!! bear_grin)

Thinking about it, and as a UK buyer, you $ auction wouldn't put me off because ebay put the £ equivalent on the page, so UK bidders will know the amount they are bidding.   I may have to try this!!

Thanks for your help Helena, you're a gem bear_happy

Hudson, Ohio

It's not just on e Bay that 'Artist' is a really accepted term of art... it's the teddy bear industry/marketplace as a whole.  I generally think that 'bear artist' most commonly refers  to those who design their own patterns... as opposed to sewing a bear from another person's pattern.  The trade magazines make that distinction as well.  Depending on the company I am in, and how much I feel like explaining the whole concept of artist bears... I do occassionally say that I design and sew "high end" teddy bears.... that seems to be a bit more descriptive than "bear artist,"  that one can get you some strange looks if people interpret it as "bare artist." :redface: I guess that might be some sorta naked performance art kinda thing.... definitely not what I do!   

Beary truly,
Kim basta

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

LOL Kim, that has really made me chuckle :lol:. I guess it could be an alternative career should the 'bottom' fall out of the 'bear' market...hohoho!

'High-end' teddy bears sounds good. I'll remember that next time someone asks me what I do!

Pipa UK

LOL you girls are too much hehe bear_grin

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

one can get you some strange looks if people interpret it as "bare artist.

No wonder I'm getting all those strange, startled looks! bear_grin

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I think for sure you should be using the term 'artist'
1) Because it's just good marketing
2) because we ARE artists!!
I know this one is a little different because almost anyone can make a bear. Although, it may not look very nice. But all people can paint, sculpt etc. It just depends on how often you practice your 'art' and how good you are.
Think of a painter, a very typical, acepted form of art. The painter could be copying another picture, or it could be his 1st painting ever, and his art teacher helped him with the design. Maybe he can't draw to save his life, but he is good with color, and splashes it well on his canvus. Or a colorist, the person who colors the already drawn imagines for a comic book. We don't even hesitate to call these people artists, but for ourselves it's different?
Think about it. Now sure, if you're using someone else's pattern, using nose templates and buying premade teddy clothes, than maybe it's more like a craft. But with the design of a pattern, shading, sculpting etc. That is sooo art and don't let anyone tell you any different. We're sculpters, just not with clay, but with fabric, poly fill and thread. I just think that we are that we're programmed to think of art only in certain ways.

And yes, I'm sensitive about this. I also sculpt, but it's in polymer clay. So lots of people call me 'crafty'. For some reason, it's what clay you sculpt in that makes it art? And polymer clay isn't one of them.  But have you guys seem some of that stuff on ebay? Sure looks like art to me.
Okay, I'm done ranting for now :twisted::redface: For now............
Heather

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

My recent bear I have combined all my skills, drawing, painting, needle sculpting, felting and not to mention her decoration selection- this gal has got the works done to her - she is a "baby bear"  I cant wait to finish and post her pic!  I have her head almost completely done and she just sits - well she cant sit because she is only a head now LOL but I have to do her body now LOL  bear_smile

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

bear_grin I have to laugh coz I always don't know what to say when I meet people and they ask what I do.  I'm sick at home so bears is like my full time occupation.  At my doctors appointments they ask what I do...um I make teddy bears lol.  So funny and glad I'm not the only one to get the looks.  Have you ever had to explain the process...no I dont just buy bears and redress them, I start off with the fur and design a pattern....lol the uneducated lol
And, yep Helena, my appreciation for bears and all craft for that matter has developed.  Even if heaven forbid I don't like a bear, I can still see the work and time and creativity that goes into it...so wonderful to have that and really be able to 'look' at things

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia
WildThyme wrote:

that one can get you some strange looks if people interpret it as "bare artist." :redface: I guess that might be some sorta naked performance art kinda thing.... definitely not what I do!   

Beary truly,
Kim basta

lol that is too funny...have to remember to say teddy bear artist lol bear_tongue

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Sarah - I find I'm often on the defense when folks ask what I do.... like bear making is for kids or something so I'm ready with the "They are adult collectibles, fully jointed, made of german mohair, heirloom quality, all my original designs......." I hate feeling like I have to defend my art but so many just don't understand. And explain it to men.... forget it! (Sorry guys but if you are on this board you don't count in my generalization... you are the wonderful exceptions!)

Kim
-  I list my bears on eBay like this: OOAK TOBY 15in Mohair Artist Bear by BRB
Wonder  if anyone will get confussed with KBB? Perhaps we'll just get more hits that way? Some thinking it's you, others thinking it's me. :D

:dance: Daphne :dance:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Oh dear.. I didnt know that... maybe I wont do KBB then....

Hudson, Ohio

Yes... "bear artist" is just open to WAY too many bizarre interpretations!  I stay clear of that one for sure...
Even "teddy bear artist" requires some sort of an explanation.... when people hear "artist" I think they imediately assume that you are standing there with a paintbrush and a canvas.  I've had people think that I paint portraits of teddy bears!  :doh:  Or that I paint with the teddy bear as brush to get the paint onto the canvas!     
I just hate it when I start to explain and people say, "Oh.... you make stuffed animals , okay, I get it now!!!! How cute!" 
I LOVE to be proud of what I do, but like I said... in some company it's easier to just say, "I design and sew high end teddy bears."  Better yet... have a picture of one of your creations on your business card and when they start asking questions, you just whip one out and say, "THIS is what I do!"  There ARE a whole lot of people who just can't imagine a teddy bear collectors as anything but a 10 year old girl in an all pink room, sitting on her canopy bed surrounded by mountains of stuffed unicorns and Care Bears and the like!

Beary truly yours,
Kim basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

WildThyme wrote:

that one can get you some strange looks if people interpret it as "bare artist." :redface: I guess that might be some sorta naked performance art kinda thing.... definitely not what I do!   

Beary truly,
Kim basta

LOL!  And my biz name is "Teddies by Laura Lynn".  I didn't realized till 6 months later that the word "Teddies" could be interpreted 2 different ways  bear_wub    bear_grin  It was too late then to change it....

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Teddies - :doh: DOH!

Pages:

Board footer