Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i know, I should be promoting Intercal and yes, I buy lots of mohair from them but I am bored with the selection. I just want to try something different.  I am in love with nice thick, soft alpaca or mohair and intercal only has soo much.

So.........where do you buy your mohair?? I'm not a Schulte snob at all, so I'm willing to try anything. I have been to beary cheap and Edinburgh  but that's it. I am starting to fall in love with some of these sites that sell beautiful synthetic but still.

So if you don't mind sharing where you get your stuff from, I'd love to hear it. I wish at my show I had more time to shop. i only came home with 1 piece of fur and that's it!!!!   bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland
teeeej Brisbane

Yes try Gerry's! But note they are moving in the next few months and mail order will not run for a little while!

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

Really it's only Hemboldt or Schulte from most suppliers I've found ........but another manufacturer is Lou Mohair of South Africa....I found it weird and a bit difficult to work with at first as his backing is very different, it seems thick compared to the others.......however it trims back to a really smooth lush feel, which is exceptional, so if you are bored have a look......

http://www.loubear.com/

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Hi Sandra, I emailed them with my details this morning and I recieved a very nice email telling me that a free sample pack is on its way, I am not sure of the prices yet as my currency conversion seemed to price them way tooooooo cheap but on the very big plus side all mohair includes overseas shipping. Which believe me is a killer sometimes, so a huge thanks for the link bear_wub

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

We buy from Intercal of course, but most of our mohair comes from Disco Joints and Teddies   
www.discojoints.on.ca  they have beautiful mohair and they carry the South African mohair from Loubear as well.  They are great to deal with and have some of the best prices you will find for mohair, also  they have free shipping for all orders over $100.00 Canadian.   

Our only problem is they are about 15 minutes from where we live so we spend way to much money when we go to visit.  They are really nice people to deal with, if you are interested in a piece of mohair they have no problem in sending you a sample of it.  I think we own one piece of everything they carry  bear_grin  bear_grin.

Big hugs

Shane

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I don't know what goes on with my computer and this site but many of my posts never make it here.  I will try again!
Haida mohair is available there in Canada.  I can't remember the name of the store off the top of my head.
You might want to check with Edinburgh again since they just brought in some Japanese mohair, alpaca and silk.
I like to find vintage mohair.  Check with upholstery shops to save you the old mohair they take off of chairs.  Also check out antique shops for old curtains etc.  You might also want to think about using old lap robes. 
There is another mill that starts with a J that I can't think of right now.
Donna

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Heather,
One more thought!  I just went nuts at the show in Intercal's pile of samples.  It is stuff that they don't carry in the catalog.  You could have Johnna send you something from that selection.  Or organize another swap and see what you end up with.  And if all else fails go wild with fabric dye.
Have you seen some of the crazy synthetic that has been on ebay lately?  Give it a go!
Donna

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks for the tips ladies!!
I have ordered my sample from http://www.loubear.com/ and I can't wait to see it. It IS tough to find anything different but I might be getting closer.

Donna, great suggestions! Thanks!

Shane, Disco joints were at the last bear show I just put on. They are great people and have some very interesting mohair. Problem was, day was over before I got a chance to shop. I LOVE how they have free shipping over $100 bec. how easy it is to spend over $100?? VERY EASY if you're me! LOL

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Heather, I just bought some beautiful Japanese silk plush from  Fredbear. I am so impressed with it. It is so soft and 'silky' hehe I cant wait to get sewing with it. The backing is firm with no stretch. I have the feeling it is going to be a dream to use. It was recommended to me by another bear artist.
Wendy bear_thumb

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I just used a piece of S.African mohair from Disco Joints and was very impressed with it. It's a combination mohair/viscose blend and very easy to work with - although there was a bit more raveling that the Schulte but not enough to have to fray check it all. I just sent the bear off the Julie for photographing.
I also bought a couple of pieces of Japanese mohair but haven't used them yet.
Just got a nice new bunch of Schulte mohair from Germany (about 7 pcs) so just don't know where to start  :crackup:
Marion

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

just went and visited Loubear's site and the prices are great. I must admit I ordered the sample cards but also a 1/4 and 1/8 pc  :dance:  The prices are extremely reasonable and include shipping and handling! Actually, it was cheaper buying from their site than ordering the same from DiscoJoints - not by much but cheaper all the same, and no extra shipping! Now who knows if I'll get nicked by Customs - wait and see.  I also appreciated that they contacted me after I ordered to advise that I should maybe order 1/4 instead of 2 -1/8 pcs - for a cheaper rate.  :clap:

Marion

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks Wendy, make sure to send me a pic when you're done using the stuff!!!

Marion, I also ordered their sample cards. For free! what a bonus that was. The prices are really great and they are fast to respond. Glad to have a bit of a review on the product.

Kilde Posts: 186

I just ordered sample cards too from Loubear  bear_smile I can't wait to see it - especially how much it differs from the German mohair I normally use for my bears.

I also placed an order with BC today for 4 large pieces of mohair and other supplies - and I just had a look at my HUGE stash of mohair.... bear_whistle I just realized that I am now officially a goat's-hair-collector and that I collect more than I sew - or as my husband says: "There is more input than output"  bear_grin

Great links everyone - thanks  bear_thumb

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I just received my first order from Pro Bar in Germany ... they delivered really fast!  I found their website okay, but it was frustrating not to have a better English description of the fabrics.  They offer Schulte mohair and a wide range of it, unfortunately without a clearer description I landed up with something I didn't really need and not what I did really need!  Ah well, I daresay I'll find a use for it!  By the way, the order came with a decent catalogue enclosed, which I thought was a useful touch.

This is a link to their website:

http://www.probear.com/com/shop/index.html

Here in the UK I've used www.bearbasics.com and found Susan the owner, very helpful.  The website is good too and a big plus is being able to pay by Paypal (which by the way, you can also use at Pro Bar).

Other than those, I've used Gerry's in Oz (beautiful fabrics but I don't like getting stung for import duty, so don't use them too often) Edinburgh Imports, (great fabrics when they've got what you want in stock ... which isn't always) and of course Intercal, which I think offers the very best service of all. 

I haven't tried Bearycheap in Australia, so can't comment on their service, but their range looks great ... not sure how it works if you want to order more than a 1/4 metre at a time though ... perhaps someone can explain please?

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Wow, thanks Paula, looks like probear has some really nice, long stuff. I have never seen their site before, thanks for the tip!!!

Off to check out bearbasics now.......going to be an expensive day! LOL

Kilde Posts: 186
All Bear wrote:

I haven't tried Bearycheap in Australia, so can't comment on their service, but their range looks great ... not sure how it works if you want to order more than a 1/4 metre at a time though ... perhaps someone can explain please?

I buy most of my supplies from Bearycheap. All fabrics are cut in FQ (50 x 70 cm) but if you want to buy a larger piece, you just write "2" instead of "1" piece in the "buy"-box and you get 1 large piece.

Their service is absolutely fantastic! I have had so much help from them. They respond to email inquiries very fast with fabric suggestions (when I have asked for help to find a specific type of fabric) etc. - and I always receive my VERY large envelopes within a week (usually 5 days from Australia to Denmark!) and they always charge me the lowest shipping charge for just 1 envelope even when they send 2 or 3 envelopes. I usually ask the companies to send the order in envelopes rather than parcels due to Danish customs. If you receive goods in parcels from a country outside the EU, Danish custom duties are usually the same as the total order!...so to avoid that I have it shipped in envelopes when possible.

I haven't tried more than a couple of their synthetics - and a couple of them turned out to have looooot of stretch but their mohair is great.   bear_original

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I like to use pro bar in Germany too and find them very efficient in dealing with your order and delivery.I did spend about £20 on their samples (around 400 I think) as I like to know what I am getting and it can save you in the long run as it is so hard to tell from photos what the mohair is like.
Laurie :hug:

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Oops, just realised I put the wrong address for Bear Basics .. it should be www.bearbasics.co.uk (not .com)

Laurie, I might send off for the samples too, I found it tricky to work out what was what on their website but I'm lured in by the wide selection!

Tina, thanks for the explanation re Beary Cheap ... I was a bit confused but now it all makes sense!

clare14 Country Bears
England

I can totally recommend BearyCheap and Bear Basics - both fab supplies and service, and as I can only shop with suppliers who accept paypal (for my husband's and bank manager's sanity!!  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh ), I am rather limited on those I can go to, so will take a good look at the German one too, thanks for the link!!   bear_original

Can only dream of Intercal fabrics dropping on my doorstep.....wonder if they'll ever do paypal, hope so, one day!!   :pray:  :pray:

:hug:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

MH-bjapanesesilkplush.jpg

Here is the photo of the two pieces of silk plush I bought, Chrissie.
All those new links look very tempting so I will go and check them out hehehe
Wendy bear_thumb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hello from the Shulte Snob!  bear_tongue

This Japanese silk stuff is sounding very interesting.... Edinburgh doesn't have theirs in yet. bear_sad But it's on it's way!

I got samples from LouBear a couple of weeks ago and can't wait to try their mohair. I'm putting an order together this weekend. If you like to dye your own they sell most of their styles/densities in the natural color just so you can dye it yourself.  They seem to do mostly short piles and nothing super dense. But it feels SOOOO soft and the backing seems good and tight. (I hate having to fray check!)

I've also ordered from ProBear many times.... the shipping is quick, price very reasonable and they have a huge selection of Schulte!  bear_grin  The alpaca is yummy!

Beary Cheap sells Helmbold if I recall correctly. Their synthetics I found to fit the name of their business... I know that sounds awful but I'm happy to show you pictures of some of them that I still have... if I hold them up to the light you can see right through! I'll admit they are super soft and beautiful to look at but..... well.....

I've also bought from Disco Joints, Sassy, CR Crafts (I think they must get their mohair from Intercal and/or Edinburgh) and oddments off eBay.

I have a couple of lap robes I got at antique shows.... they are gorgeous.... dense short pile mohair... and I don't dare cut into them! :doh:

And here's an odd source..... department stores! I saw a throw blanket once made of the most delicious synthetic fur and bought it just so I could cut it up and make bears out of it!

Think outside the box, keep an eye out and be wiling to experiment!!! You never know....

Daphne I have seen quiet a few cushions and thought that would make nice bears but have been unable to check the backing so have not taken the plunge yet :hug: definitly outside the box :clap:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Cushions..... very outside the box.
You might be able to at least pinch the fabric in two places, about 4 inches apart and pull in different directions to see if it's backing is knit (stretchy) or woven (no stretch.) While doing this you might also be able to see the backing through the pile to determine how loosely woven or knit the backing is. A purchase like that is certainly a risk..... if the price is low enough and you can gain a better feel for the fabric by doing the above it might be worth buying them. You don't want stretchy fabric or to be able to see through the backing... unless of course you want to treat it as you would real fur and line the backing with muslin or similar before sewing the bear together. A lot of work but if the material is just the look you are after then the extra steps could be worth it!

Thanks Daphne, I will try a bit of furtive pulling, you see we have a fabric warehouse and although the faux fur is rubbish their cushions are stunning, they come in all different types and colours of faux fur (only the fronts mostly are faux fur) so I figured that I would need at least 2 to make a reasonable bear which can make this idea expensive, I had thought to keep an eye on when they sale, which they do frequently. I have lined my last bear which although fiddley was not horrendous.

I think I must be really hooked as I tend to see bears in every piece of fabric, rug, cushion and clothing that I see :crackup:

Board footer