Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Pages:
kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Maybe we could have a couple of bears of ours for the other person to choose from???

I speak for myself that I will be willing to pay for shipping anywhere, even Japan bear_original

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania
kraftyladies wrote:

Some of it is meant to be a surprise of course, cause it is supposed to be fun, but we need to have the generalities out of the way at least, price,color, favorite things, like bees, or "snowflakes"  (love your bear Kim!!) or hates Clowns  bear_sad , etc   Right???

Susan

THANK YOU!!!! - by the way, I HATE CLOWNS! they freak me out!

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Am I too late to get involved in this. I'd love to swap bears, gollies, whatever.

Marion

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

We should set a date that people who are interested need to notify, maybe by next friday or two fridays from now?  names need to be pulled and then we need to set a deadline of when the bears need to be completed and sent out....

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Perhaps we should leave this open for anyone to join in until........????? End of November? Beginning of November? Susan?

And Marie..... I too would be more than happy to ship to Japan!  bear_innocent

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I just think that the bears should be before christmas so then the bear is like an xmas gift!  bear_original

kraftyladies Beary Lovely ... Bears by Susan
Florida

A bear for Christmas would be great, but i think there are alot of people that shows and are staying busy until after Christmas.  At least that was what it sounded like from a couple of people that wanted to join.....

How about we leave it open for people to join until November 1st?  Then once we have all the people we decide on the time for it to be sent out by, draw names, decide on $$ amts, and then everyone can start on thier swap project?

Is that ok with everyone? 

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Irene Irenours-bears
France

What do you think about this:
1)  all the participants buy a piece of mohair at the same price at Intercal in different colors( or just one color?)
2) someone can provide a pattern or there can be found a free one
3) choice of one size for all ( ex: 12 inch)
4) then the surprise will be found of course in the own work of the bearmaker and the choice of decorate a little bit the bear (a bow, necklace, hat) or not

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I like that idea! :dance: sounds good - I am excited!!!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Kim - I agree that an extra present at christmas would be fun. But I for one am not in this for a hobby, I do shows, teach, etc. and the months leading up to christmas are very busy for those of us who make a business at this.

One pattern & mohair: A great way to control the size/money spent etc. BUT....I have just done a challenge with similar guidelines.... same pattern for all anyway and here is my take: It is not MY bear!  bear_sad It was a wonderful pattern and for a good cause but I decided I would never do it again. I'm a designer and in order for it to be a true artist bear of my very own it needs to be my own design. I find little joy in the whole process other wise. Now, I know many of you are just starting out in bear making but I'd much rather receive an original piece of art from one of you... to see your heart and soul in that bear. It would be appreciated that much more.  bear_laugh Or even pick a pattern that you personally like.  :angel:

Just my thoughts. And I am a chihuahua after all so have plenty to say!  bear_grin

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Susan, just let me know the specifics but include me in.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Count me in count me in...I wanna play.  I can fit a bear or a dozen into my schedule...  bear_grin  bear_grin

I happen to be with Daphne on the pattern idea...I'd rather make my own....because then it would be MY bear going to someone...and to be honest if I'm going to have another artists bear I'd like it to be THEIRS.  Sounds silly but true.  I'd also rather pick my own type of mohair...it can come from Intercal or wherever but I think some people like different kinds to work with better than others.  If we all stayed in the same price range that shouldn't be a problem.

Oh no...maybe I'm really a crossbreed mutt...Collie and Chihuahua...I shudder to think.

Shantell

Florida

The basic bear pattern is a neat idea, but I kind of like the idea about an original designed by someone. 

But lets hear what everyone else has to say......

Ladies???

Let's vote on these:

Signup deadline Nov. 1st?

Do you want to do your own design or do a basic bear pattern?

Susan

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I just thought the pattern was a neat idea so no one would feel ripped off if they sent a 15" bear and only got a 6" in return... I would RATHER do my own as well....

Florida

I would rather you do one of your own too, ya know, like Snowflake, did I happen to mention that I like Snowflake ??    bear_laugh  bear_laugh hehe   :dance:  :dance:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

LMAO - yep, you mentioned it - thank you again bear_original I think I will start a "snow ball" series or something and make a bunch of "relatives" of Snowflake but then I need to come up with names.... hmmm.... I can make tiny ones and female ones bear_original he he he

Brockville, Ontario

I would prefer to do an original bear as well. I make mini's and also larger bears and am presently taking Judi's face felting course so would probably like to make that kind of bear for a swap, if ok.

Marion bear_smile

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

oh..... I wann play, but I'm not reliable enough for this.. With baby on the way, I'm lucky to get a few bears done.... Baby stll neds its own. bear_happy i will say that I want a Daphne bear (avatar!!) bear_wub

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

OK - here's my take on this discussion

I will make a bear of my own design, i don't care who gets it, how much it cost to produce etc etc and i don't care who's bear i get.

Can't we just stick to the original idea of making a bear that we, the artist's like and just swap with anyone who's name comes out of the hat with ours?

This is only my personal opinion and i aint necessarily disagreeing with all the above points you all have made, but it seems that half the fun is going to go out of it.

I like a gamble and besides, i don't think anyone here is a crappy bearmaker so would be more than happy just to swap. If people feel that they might be getting a bum deal surely they just won't bother to join in?

Penny  bear_happy

I don't mean to upset anyone with my views - i really really don't care who's bear i get  :hug:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I agree but I dont want someone to be disappointed with one of my bears because I am just pretty much a beginner.... I hope whoever gets my bear will love it  bear_sad

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

I would be more than happy to get a bear of yours Kim,
It does'nt matter that you are pretty new to bear making - when you are a world reknowned bear artist i shall be able to say that i have one of your 'early' bears - just like they do about famous artists paintings

:thumbsup:

Penny

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

AWWW PENNY! you are so sweet, I guess I need to stop being so hard on myself!  :hug:  bear_innocent

Brockville, Ontario

I agree with Penny. I like surprises and will sign on the dotted line that I will be content with whoever's bear I'm lucky enough to get. I'm sure that everyone participating will go overboard to impress a fellow bear artist/collector so I'm confident that the quality will be there.  :dance:

Marion

Florida

me too, I love everyones bears also.  I would be happy to get any bear. 

Ok, so here goes,

we make our own bear of our own design.  Draw two names at a time and pair em up.

Because Penny is right, if we get too strict and have too many "rules" it won't be fun anymore.  Hopefully everyone joining in is in it for fun.  :dance:  :dance:

If there has to be a price range for some, then you can discuss this among whomever you have as a partner.

That seems fair. 

The last day to join will be November first.  I will then take the list of names, throw them into a hat and my Mom (she always get volunteered) can draw the pairs out.  Then we will each have our partner.... and can fo from there.

Susan  bear_tongue

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Ok, I volunteer Susan for the chairman of this task! and her mom gets volunteered to do the picking!!! he he he  bear_thumb

Pages:

Board footer