Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Mayzu Posts: 10

Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions for me ...

Sometimes, when I order vintage long pile (or other longer-pile fabrics), the pile lays rather flat ... because some of it is just off the bolt. I thought I heard once that some people throw theirs in the dryer for a bit, and it fluffs them back up.
Does this really work? I'm especially concerned about the vintage fabrics, because I don't want to ruin them.

Also, are there any precautions to take before dying/bleaching vintage fabric? Will it make it less strong, or make it smell funny?

And lastly, are there any good sources of matte-finish vintage long pile? I can find plenty with sparkly sheens, but matte finishes seem to be rare.

Thanks for any tips and tricks you can spare!

Hugs,
Laura

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Hi Laura

I can't answer you on the fluffy bit as I don't have a dryer, and for my own bears, use the vintage long pile when I do want the flat smooth look. 
You could try gently brushing your finished bear with a soft toothbrush to bring some life to the pile.

You need to be very very careful when bleaching vintage long pile.  If you boil it too long the pile falls out.  I have bought pieces several years ago and can still smell the bleach in them.  I would not have bought them had I known they'd been bleached - they are fairly stiff and don't make up to a  nice bear.  I know that Bobbie is an expert in this field and she will be able to answer that question better.

I did buy some that had been properly bleached and there is virtually no odour and the pile is soft - I believe the artist used a non-ammonia bleach - but I'm not sure which and she is no longer selling bears.

The Malden Mills vintage long pile had a shiny finish - I have not seen matte fabrics for sale but they may possibly be out there.  I have seen people marketing what they calle matte vintage long pile - which is actually vintage rayon, and usually very short pile.

If you want a matte fluffy finish you can't really do better than sassy long pile - it's precisely what I use when I want my bear to have some fluff and it is not shiny at all.

Board footer