Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hi Laure! I've missed you here! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Is there a blood test that will check for vitamin and mineral deficiencies? There must be. Before I start taking anything I'm going to have that done. Not that I don't believe that magnesium will help but I'd like to know if I'm deficient in it first.... and/or what else I might be lacking. I see my doctor this coming Wednesday.... he's in a hospital so I should be able to get whatever testing is necessary done right there and pronto.

Bobbie... all husbands panic when they think something might be wrong with us.... God forbid they have to take care of themselves! (OK, I know my husband was genuinely concerned but he still didn't have to drag me to the ER by my ear practically!)

Thank you for the support, sharing of experiences and excellent suggestions! I'm keeping a list so I don't forget anything on Wednesday! I want him to check any and all possibilities. I just keep thinking that it can't be 'normal' or good for a person's heart to beat that irregularly.... there has to be a cause and thus a treatment.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I read recently that the FDA is considering new Guidelines/restrictions for the Energy Drinks. Beyond Gatorade, the only one on their list that I was familiar with was Red Bull. I couldn't believe all of the new brands and how they had 4 & 5 times more caffeine that a soda or a Starbucks'.

But all of the 25+ they listed have extremely high caffeine and other Buzz Boosters. And of course they're being marketed to the age category who is most at risk for adverse effects; whose frontal lobes are still not formed, where decision processing takes place.

The FDA feels that in line with the amount of competition to top the market there, marketing to 15 - 25 yo must be corralled. The caffeine & other substances were really messing them up - to some degree of permanancy. I wish I paid more attention but I didn't absorb all of the details.

Just glad my one-a-day 12 oz Diet Pepsi  wasn't on the list!

dusty attic dusty attic bears
somerset

Oh Daphne, I am so sorry that you have been through all this, and everyone else for that matter. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
I too get heart palps sometimes and they are scary, But I know mine are stress related so I just try to ignore them now. I am the worst worrier in the world and when i had my first few i thought i was dying. bear_grin
Please try not to worry and try to take a little time for yourself to relax.
I hope you are feeling better soon. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thanks, Chloe!  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Sorry to hear what you have been going through Daphne.  I hope that with the Doctors help you will get the treatment
needed to get over this and feel well again.

Sending hugs and well wishes your way.

Carolyn
:hug:  bear_flower  :hug:

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA
Daphne wrote:

Is there a blood test that will check for vitamin and mineral deficiencies? There must be. Before I start taking anything I'm going to have that done. Not that I don't believe that magnesium will help but I'd like to know if I'm deficient in it first.... and/or what else I might be lacking. I see my doctor this coming Wednesday.... he's in a hospital so I should be able to get whatever testing is necessary done right there and pronto.

I think Magnesium helps and like I mentioned earlier mine have decreased since I started taking just 250 mg. a day.  And if you can't stand the pill, there's always Maalox or chocolate!!!  It's in both!!!  Anyway, I think when I had my blood work done at the ER (on one of my many visits for the same problem) they did not include Magnesium.  But when I went to the Cardiologist, he did.  It's a separate test they have to perform and either it just tests magnesium or it does all the minerals - I can't quite remember.  But ask to have your magnesium level tested - oh and your iron because being anemic could cause it too.

Sending positive thoughts your way!!!

Biggest Hugs!

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Chocolate ??? How much do you have to eat for it to help ? Dark or milk chocolate ?

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thanks, Lisa. Laura has mentioned iron to me in the past too. I plan to get it ALL checked out!

Bobbie mentioned earlier in this thread that Maalox contains an ingredient found in high levels in alzheimer's patients... thought to perhaps cause the disease. I have enough problems knowing what day of the week it is or remembering anyone's name! bear_wacko

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Really, wow, that is weird.  You would think a cardiologist would mention that about Maalox before recommending it!  Sheesh!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Aluminum has been rumored to be one of the ingredients connected to Alzheimer's, however, the last report I read said there was no real proof to suggest that.  I grew up on food prepared in aluminum pots and pans, so I choose to go with the last report.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I would too, Sue Ann!!!  :hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Daphne,

I am very sorry, hope you get a handle on it soon.

One thing everyone here needs to know, heart disease is more under reported and under diagnosed in women than men....

So keep an eye on it, don't let it get out of hand.....

and don't let the docs say its just stress, even though it probably is, because that's too easy an out and if it isn't stress?   Well you need to be sure, then you can relax about it a bit.

If you are into vitamins a lot of folks do quite well on the Omega 3 fatty acid oils stuff.....

And you have been under more stress than a normal person should be expected to bear....

but nevertheless

don't let them put you off.....check it out.....

hoping everything turns out OK for you.....

dilu

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Daphne I am sorry to hear of the problem your having, I hope that you get to feel better soon .. sending  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Hi Daphne,

I'm glad I was able to post before you signed off for the night. I have not been able to get back to the computer since my post.

You were wondering if there are blood tests to determine if you are vitamin deficient and I don't think so but the endocrinologist will certainly know. Many years ago I did have a hair analysis done and that was able to determine that I was deficient in zinc and I don't remember what else. I don't know if these are still done; however, it was done by a homeopathic doctor not a regular medical doctor.

I have heard that magnesium can help lots of problems and the doctor did have me add Omega 3 fish oil tablets. He even gave me a prescription for them as I am allergic to shellfish so we needed the purest ones available and they are only available via prescription and very expensive.

I do hope you are feeling better.

Thanks to all who expressed concern.

Hugs,

belle Gold Coast QLD

Daphne,
I hope you are able to get this sorted out quickly and that it is nothing serious.  bear_flower

I had the thought that sometimes when we have had a stressful year/period we stay strong and bulldoze through it and won't allow ourselves to collapse. Then when things start to improve it is like your body gives you permission/forces you to take a rest. So even though you aren't stressed now maybe your body/mind still does need to recover from the stress you have previously experienced this year.
When I used to teach I couldn't tell you how many times I would get sick on the first day of the school holidays etc.

btw Mimzy was finally released on DVD here is Aus. last month. My 3 children loved it !!  bear_original

Hugs Kirsty

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hi Kirsty!
Glad your kids loved Mimzy!  bear_original

You are right about our bodies needing to destress AFTER the fact. I'm glad you said it cause I wasn't thinking that way!

I've done little more than sleep..... my heart is out of control in the evening/night and I can't sleep. But it's not so bad during the day and I seem to be taking very long naps. The palps are indeed constant though 24/7..... and I'll be glad to get to the bottom of this.

I've been reading about underactive thyroid (which I have now after it being over active 15 years ago and in remission since with a little activity here and there but nothing concerning.) and a lot of the symptoms are ones I have. My heart rate seems to be more extreme than the rapid heart rate or flutters that are described as a symptom. Mine skips, flip flops, feels like it's trying to beat it's way out of my chest, skips a few more beats.... you name it. So I think there might be something more going on than just the thyroid.... perhaps that's what brought out the heart issue.

I did have a drink full of potassium and electrolytes today... wondering if that had anything to do with anything and my heart seems to have settled a bit.... could be coinsidence.....

My diabetes is out of control too with all of this....

Wednesday just can't come fast enough!! bear_wacko

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Will be thinking of you tomorrow and anxiously waiting for the doc's opinions . . . if you want to share, of course.
Hope it's something simple that can be treated easily.   :pray:  :pray:  :pray:  :pray:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Bringing this to the top again as I've added an update to my original post at the beginning.  bear_flower

Board footer