Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

One-Armed-Pete.jpgI made my first-ever sock monster tonight -- ONE ARMED PETE -- for a holiday art swap I'm doing at illustratedATCs.com.  I wub him and hate to see him go!  But the gal who'll receive him will be so excited (she loves these things), I think, that it's all okay.

If you've never made one of these, they're really fun to whip up and you can give them so much character with just a stitch here or a wonky eye there.  Give them a try!  I used the book STUPID SOCK CREATURES as a reference and then went for it.  You can also find lots of tutorials on the web, as well as tons of inspiration!, by Googling 'sock monster'.

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Oh Shel  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  I just  lurve those lips !!!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  Great job!

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

That's a riot!

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Shelli, I just had that book out of the library!! So fun! I thought maybe my students would enjoy making some of the critters.
One Armed Pete is a trip!

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA
Shelli wrote:

If you've never made one of these, they're really fun to whip up and you can give them so much character with just a stitch here or a wonky eye there.  Give them a try!  I used the book STUPID SOCK CREATURES as a reference and then went for it.  You can also find lots of tutorials on the web, as well as tons of inspiration!, by Googling 'sock monster'.

Great job Shelli!  Sock creatures are so freeing.  I usually just put the sock in my machine and start sewing.  Always surprised with what comes out.

And the book Stupid Sock Creatures is FABULOUS, quite inspirational, and a great read to boot.  John has a wicked sense of humor.  I'm proud to own one of his originals, Azul, the Blue Ox.

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

P.S.  Too bad you are sending this to your friend for the swap!  You could have sent it to Art Doll Quarterly for the Sock Animals and Softies Challenge.  I think it's due sometime this week though so I'm not sure - can you make another one?  He's great!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

:crackup: Only you and/or Lisa would come up with this.  I LUV 'IM !!!
Why don't you set a challenge for us next year Shelli?  :dance:

I'm proud to own one of his originals, Azul, the Blue Ox.

piccie please :photo:

Board footer