Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Can you needle felt over a muzzle that has been stuffed with wood wool?  In my mind, I have the wool bonding to the stuffing inside the bear not to the woven cotton backing on the mohair.  Am I correct, that I can't needle felt on this bear?
Donna

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Donna,
I don't see why it wouldn't work.  I know what you mean about the fibers bonding with the stuffing, but the fibers will also bond with the mohair.  Something to consider.: The repeated needling may beak down the wood wool/excelsior some.    Maybe you could try it on a makeshift model of a muzzle stuffed with wood wool....I am thinking out loud here.....  Maybe Neysa has some ideas......

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Judi, would'nt the wood fibre still be a tad resistent to the needle? And if the needle does survive, wouldnt the wood fibres become broken and kinda turn to dust? (my questions are tentative, because I have no idea.)
My first instinct to the question was to say' no.'.....??? :)
  Good question Donna  bear_thumb

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Yes Matilda, I would have to agree...but I am always open to experiment...just in case... But I would think it would break down the wood shavings.  If I were you Donna, I might think about taking out the wood wool and replacing it with polyfil, then felt it.  It may be worth it in end.
Just a thought....

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I experimented one time,  giving a bear a false muzzle. The original muzzle was in a synthic paw pad fabric and wouldnt take to the felting. What I did, was build the needle felting on to a piece of felt and then placed it onto the original muzzle. And then I finished felting it. I sewed it on by the way.

Would that work with wood wool?  Maybe I just might go and try it myself. :doh:

purelyneysa Purely Neysa
Indiana, PA
Website

Good Morning, wood wool??? I've never tried it. Let us know if it works. I think I would stuff the muzzle with polyfil it would give the wool something more to bond to. Neysa

Board footer