Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

So I get an email from a gal who's daughter has eaten the face of her mink teddy bear.... I think its a miracle the dog didn't get seriously hurt with this venture, but that poor, poor bear!!!  bear_cry   I tried to explain to her that the best person to repair it would be the original artist, but it was created in the 80s and she can't find the original artist.  Although I have no mink on hand, and I've never repaired a bear like this, we'll we couldn't leave some poor bear out there without a face, can we!  That's just awful!!  bear_cry

Today Ichy arrived (Ichabod  bear_whistle )  He's been created from some form of Autumn .....mink.  I'm thinking Autumn Haze??  The bear was original created from a stole (her mothers) and is full pelts, not the little paws that you sometimes see. 

Ichyarrives_002.JPG

Ichyarrives_003.JPG

Does anyone have a fur collar or hat that I might be able to use to recreate this poor bear's head and ears with??  I know the bear's owner says she's okay with any fur that I have to hand, but it wouldn't be right.  The bear is about 6 inches tall seated, and tomorrow I'll set about getting measurements and creating/designing a new head for it. 

I just wondered if anyone might have some fur that matched??  If you could, please pm me  :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

If you don't get a response here, check that horrid place... ya know.... eBay!! bear_tongue

I have some scraps that are likely a very close match but probably only enough for an ear or two... not a head. bear_sad

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I actually clenched when I saw that photo. Yikes!

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Oh poor Icky !! Debbie, I might have some light mink fur to match that I'd be happy to send.  I'll email photo samples to you in the morning so you can pick one that looks the closest in your opinion.   I'm off to bed now.

:hug:  Thanks gals!  Tammy that would be super cool if you have anything that matches.  He's vveeeerry close (practically identical) in shade to Shamus  bear_wub

I know, its pretty awful, isn't it?  I was moved by her story, and was prepared, but not totally for when I opened the box this afternoon.  Poor thing!!   bear_cry

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I might have some extra Mnk......I am going away for a couple of days, but will check back over the weekend to see if you got some........About how much do yo think you'll need?

pandamac

I think a hat or stole would work.  LOL...I'm kinda hoping I won't have to resort to the dreaded E for a fur, but will do what I need to get the boy a new head  bear_thumb

Okey dokey.... I've just gotten an autumn haze mink hat for the boy's head and ears.  Everyone keep their teddy paws crossed this works  bear_flower

For the record, I've never ever done a bear repair like this.  Does this count as an 'out of my comfort zone' challenge?  bear_tongue

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Debbie, glad to hear you were able to get some mink so fast !  I had to repair a bears face and ear that was mangled by a gals dog.  It wasn't one of my bears & the  fur had not been lined and was very brittle . I managed to fix it by basting a lining inside the torn area then inserting a lined patch and new ear.  It turned out better than I expected.   I'm confident you'll have this bear looking handsome in no time  bear_thumb

:hug:  Thanks Tammy :hug:  I certainly hope I can do right by him  bear_flower

Board footer